What part of a computer if upgraded, offers overall the most performance increase?

djdelarosa25

This could mean anything, It could the the GPU if it was gaming, It could the the SSD for benchmarks and It could be the CPU for other tasks...

My Build: Phoenix

Processor: Intel i7 4770k, Motherboard: Asus Z97-P RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB GPU: MSI GTX 1050TI OC Case: Corsair ICUE 4000X, Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB + 500GB + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM750, Cooling: Corsair H100i Capellix, 

If you want to talk to me or give me an answer, please tag me otherwise you'll be talking to thin air ❤️

So, let's say I'm shopping for a laptop.

One has a

Core i5-5200U, GT940M, 500GB HDD, and 4GB of RAM

while the other has a

Core M-5Y10, HD 5300, 128GB SSD, and 4GB of RAM

Which would be snappier overall?

SSD.

That

Spoiler

CPU: R7 5800x -- Mobo: Gigabyte B550 Gaming X v2 -- RAM: 2x16GB Kingston Fury Renegade -- GPU: Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming OC -- Case: Fractal Design North Walnut/Black Mesh -- Storage: 2TB 970 Evo Plus, 4TB NM790 -- PSU: BeQuiet Pure Power 11 Platinum 650w -- Displays: AOC AGON  AG352UCG, Dell Ultrasharp U2715H -- Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 -- Mouse: Corsair M65 -- Keyboard: Func KB 460 MX Blue -- Sound: Motu M2 -> THX 789 -> DT880 600Ω -- Mic: RØDE NT1-A

Spoiler

RIG 2: Intel i5-8400, 16 GB RAM, RTX 2070S

Spoiler

One has a

while the other has a

The one with the SSD.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

It depends on what metric- if you're timing boot times, then an ssd will benefit you the most.

If you're measuring frames per second, usually the graphics card upgrade will yield the most improvement.

If you're rendering videos, a cpu upgrade will yield the most improvement. 

One has a

while the other has a

One with SSD. It also has newer CPU. Though in pure power upper is better.

I'll give few things here.

- In overall performance CPU means much. Most current CPUs are still enough for general use, no matter how many jigahertz they have.

- SSD is always faster than HDD. Here you would want to think how you are going to use it. If you only use cloud for mass storage (personal cloud included), you can go for less physical space.

- Over 4gb ram is good for everyday use. If you are gamer, you really do want 8gb at least.

- GPUs only matter if you are true gamer or do digital creative stuff. From examples, lower has very weak GPU.

- Laptops are tricky as you can't expand and need to think more than just hardware specs.

Further on laptops. I just made this decision. I went with upper option first and then changed for bigger screen and not having dedicated GPU. Reasons were more overall performance (faster CPU), price (got 8gb and 256SSD for price of 8gb and 128SSD) and the fact that I have gaming PC. Laptop is going to be only for travels. Also if I need light device with more battery power, I get tablet. From examples lower will have longer battery life as it uses passive cooled and low TDP Skylake CPU.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

If it has an SSD, it will feel faster. Like, NOTICEABLY faster.

It's not worth it to get a computer nowadays that doesn't have an SSD.

Overall computer perf: SSD

Gaming: GPU

End of story.

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

I'm gonna do some light video editing on Premiere. Is Premiere CPU or GPU intensive?

DEPENDS on the performance increase your looking for, like;

• for possessing power CPU
  • for loading times SSD
  • for gamming GPU/CPU
  • for IGP RAM
  • for edditing/rendering RAM/CPU

lives on

BAKABT

I'm gonna do some light video editing on Premiere. Is Premiere CPU or GPU intensive?

I think its bit both. But you are going to need to up your price range if you need to do video editing with laptop. Look for i7 at least. The lower from those two is i3 with less power consumption.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv