So Ive never actually installed a OS by my self before (my pc was pre-built and it had windows on it). I've currently got Windows 10 but I want to switch to Ubuntu/Linux

How would I do this if I've currently got windows? any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated (if specs are needed ask :3)

Btw I have 2 HDDs both 1Tb windows is installed on my C: drive would I be able to install it onto my D: drive? Or is it just impossible to use 2 OS's xD i dont't know anything about this

So Ive never actually installed a OS by my self before (my pc was pre-built and it had windows on it). I've currently got Windows 10 but I want to switch to Ubuntu/Linux

How would I do this if I've currently got windows? any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated (if specs are needed ask :3)

Btw I have 2 HDDs both 1Tb windows is installed on my C: drive would I be able to install it onto my D: drive? Or is it just impossible to use 2 OS's xD i dont't know anything about this

What does your D drive have now? If you wipe it you should be able to install Ubuntu on that and keep windows on your C drive. Then you can just dual boot.

What does your D drive have now? If you wipe it you should be able to install Ubuntu on that and keep windows on your C drive. Then you can just dual boot.

My D drive is COMPLETELY empty except a couple of system files but I cant delete them idk what they are

and how do I dual boot?

My D drive is COMPLETELY empty except a couple of system files but I cant delete them idk what they are

and how do I dual boot?

When you're in the ubuntu install (which you just run from a live usb/dvd) you can pick the D drive and install there. Make sure you don't overwrite the C drive.

Boot depends on your bios (what mobo do you have?) but there should be some key to press on startup to specify what drive to boot into

When you're in the ubuntu install (which you just run from a live usb/dvd) you can pick the D drive and install there. Make sure you don't overwrite the C drive.

Boot depends on your bios (what mobo do you have?) but there should be some key to press on startup to specify what drive to boot into

Motherboard: http://imgur.com/Y3Tvcio

and I think I know what you mean in bios

xD this is the mobo

Acer Aspire XC-605 (LGA1150)

Motherboard: http://imgur.com/Y3Tvcio

and I think I know what you mean in bios

I can't help you with that particular bios. You'll likely press F12 or F9 to get into the boot menu. You'll need to get to that to pick your USB drive for install, and also to pick what OS to boot into once the install is done.

You have to boot from the Ubuntu DVD. Select the cd/dvd drive from your bios boot menu and it should ask you if you want to install or try a live version. Pick install and go from there. 

Lord of Helium.

You have to boot from the Ubuntu DVD. Select the cd/dvd drive from your bios boot menu and it should ask you if you want to install or try a live version. Pick install and go from there. 

oooo thanks :3

i booted from the cd/dvd drive the one that Ubuntu/Linux created then, my pc restarted twice then sent me to windows?

Ive got it on my usb, i go into BIOS and do my 1st boot up device as removeable device but my pc just skips it and goes to windows  :( any ideas?

I tried to install Ubuntu. I was half way through but an error occurred just after I wiped windows off my pc I cannot try and reinstall Ubuntu as I always get the error and I don't know how to reinstall windows but I do have a usb I've got a picture of the error but I cant post it since I'm on my phone :(

Please! Any idea would be greatly appreciated!!

I tried to install Ubuntu. I was half way through but an error occurred just after I wiped windows off my pc I cannot try and reinstall Ubuntu as I always get the error and I don't know how to reinstall windows but I do have a usb I've got a picture of the error but I cant post it since I'm on my phone :(

Please! Any idea would be greatly appreciated!!

If you got a usb stick with windows on it boot from it if you only have a ubuntu stick and it gives a error you are pretty much fukd

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

If you got a usb stick with windows on it boot from it if you only have a ubuntu stick and it gives a error you are pretty much fukd

Its a 32gb usb phew! Thanks man I was scared then xD

UEFI or BIOs?
If it's UEFI, then just reselect it in the mobo settings.

Other wise it's a bit harder and you'll need a windows installation USB/DISK and boot it.
Afterwards try automatic repair that words a very good 10% of the time!

If not, open up the command prompt and type in

bootrec.exe /fixmbr

more can be found here: http://www.digitalcitizen.life/command-prompt-fix-issues-your-boot-records

Ive downloaded windows 10 on my usb but apprently i need a  product key even though i already downloaded it?! what do i do?

Ive downloaded windows 10 on my usb but apprently i need a  product key even though i already downloaded it?! what do i do?

Get a product key use ur old one if you have or buy a new one.

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

Get a product key use ur old one if you have or buy a new one.

...i have to buy a new key?!

my pc came with windows 8 so shouldnt i get it for free?!

...i have to buy a new key?!

my pc came with windows 8 so shouldnt i get it for free?!

To get W10 for free, you have to upgrade on that computer. As in click the upgrade thing.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)