390x/Freesync/1440p issues?

Soulstrife
Go to solution Solved by xnoobftw,

Hell all, I have just upgraded my monitor from 1080p to 1440p and I am in love!!  I have ran into some issues though.  Performance in my mind has taken a huge hit in some area's (I expected this due to the higher resolution).

Heaven benchmark went from 102fps average to 55fps average on the same settings, but with 2560x1440 as the resolution (didn't matter with freesync on or off).  That makes sense to me.  What doesn't make sense is that Fallout 4 refuses to run over 18fps with freesync enabled (doesn't matter what quality settings I use) and won't run past 35fps with freesync off.

If I run Fallout4 at 1920x1080, it screams at 144fps no problem on my new monitor.  No other real issues in other games that I play like D3, Tomb Raider, and other older titles that don't push my system.

System specs:

i7 6700k (stock speeds)

MSI 390x Gaming (stock speeds)

Asus z170 Pro Gaming

Corsair HX850i PSU

16GB G.Skill 2133

Asus MG279Q 27" monitor

Windows 10 pro

Crimson 15.30.1025.1001 (current) video drivers.

Is there something I am missing or is Fallout just being THAT picky with my new settings?  Maybe remove my drivers and install again?  I am using the mini-DP to DP cable that came with the monitor, could that be the issue?  I need some help here, I figured the 390x would be able to push 2k video a little better than what I am experiencing. 

Thank you in advance for looking!

I run Fallout at 1440 with a 290 and a 4790k. Fallout is all about settings. Set your shadow distance to medium and you should get the fps you're looking for. Or go on the Nexus and download the dynamic shadow mod. God rays shouldn't be an issue, they're not for me and my specs are lower than yours.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

I run Fallout at 1440 with a 290 and a 4790k. Fallout is all about settings. Set your shadow distance to medium and you should get the fps you're looking for. Or go on the Nexus and download the dynamic shadow mod. God rays shouldn't be an issue, they're not for me and my specs are lower than yours.

I will look into the dynamic shadow mod, thanks for that tip.  Still doesn't make sense as to why it refuses to go above 18fps with freesync turned on.  I'll figure it out with enough tinkering, but was hoping someone has had the issue and a fix already :P

Try post your problem here. There's some Freesync user in there.

Also, is the clock speed and GPU usage at max? Try some other game.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Try post your problem here. There's some Freesync user in there.

Also, is the clock speed and GPU usage at max? Try some other game.

FO4 never maxed my gpu or cpu. Other games seem fine, running anywhere from 50 to 80 fps.

Thanks for the link, I will post there and see what comes of it.

With the higher pixel density you should be able to dial back on AA settings without noticing much.

Correct, but as originally stated, no matter the settings on fo4 no change, other than a slight gain by turning off freesync.

FO4 never maxed my gpu or cpu. Other games seem fine, running anywhere from 50 to 80 fps.

Thanks for the link, I will post there and see what comes of it.

Fallout 4 engine performance is crap, can't even maximize modern hardware true potential. Doubt AMD will release a driver that will fix it.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

Holy crappers.  Thank you!  Everything works like candy now.  <3  Forcing V-Sync off worked and I re-capped using RivaTuner.  Thank you much again!!   Now, do I keep it at or around the 60fps? or can I cap it at the 144? I will have to play with it some I think

Anything over 60fps in Fallout 4 effects gameplay. Even crouched movement is messed up. I used Crimson to cap the fps, go into the game option in Crimson then click on the Fallout 4 window, and finally at the bottom set the fps to 60.

Anything over 60fps in Fallout 4 effects gameplay. Even crouched movement is messed up. I used Crimson to cap the fps, go into the game option in Crimson then click on the Fallout 4 window, and finally at the bottom set the fps to 60.

Try disable FRTC frame cap and use RTSS frame cap, the latter usually give smoother frametime.

Tried limiting in Crimson, didn't work, I'll just stick to using RivaTuner.

Try disable FRTC frame cap and use RTSS frame cap, the latter usually give smoother frametime.

Ummm......English please? Lol, not sure what you mean.

It's hit and miss, sorry.

Holy crappers. Thank you! Everything works like candy now. <3 Forcing V-Sync off worked and I re-capped using RivaTuner. Thank you much again!! Now, do I keep it at or around the 60fps? or can I cap it at the 144? I will have to play with it some I think

Sadly FO4 shits itself at super high frames (the game speeds up according to your fps)

And be mindful that changing the graphic options in fo4 will force the game to enable vsync back again. You'll have to go back into the config files and change the presentinterval value again.

My suggestion is to keep the fps cap at 75(which is what i did)

Hopefully I've helped! Cheers!

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

I'm telling App4that to disable Crimson Frame Rate Target Control (FRTC) and cap the frame with Riva Tuner Statistic Server (RTSS) instead.

I'm telling App4that to disable Crimson Frame Rate Target Control (FRTC) and cap the frame with Riva Tuner Statistic Server (RTSS) instead.

I don't use the FRTC, I use the Steam overlay.

I don't use the FRTC, I use the Steam overlay.

Yesterday you said you used Crimson to cap the fps. 

tumblr_n8u7ceLGin1rhavdko1_250.gif

Yesterday you said you used Crimson to cap the fps.

tumblr_n8u7ceLGin1rhavdko1_250.gif

Loook haaarda lol, I said "used" :) I was running a mod that wouldn't let me use the Steam Overlay, don't use that mod anymore so went back to the Steam overlay.

Gotcha.  Yeah, I was just confused by the shortening of the words :)  completely understand it now.