SOE cuts jobs

soy online entertainment has recently cut jobs, im not sure how many or to what affect this will have on the development of their games, i guess only time will tell. Personally i avidly play Planeside 2, and i hope this hasnt affected the development schedule.

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/soe-announcement.148793/

SOURCE: forum post by SOE on the planetside 2 official forums

edit: typo

SOE claims that the job cuts will not harm the future of Planetside 2 and other running games. I find this unlikely, the game at the moment is an unoptimized badly designed mess ( I am talking about the engine here). It hasn't changed much ever since the game came out. With less people working on the game I doubt we'll ever get that game to use more than 1 core properly so we can get out CPU's past 20% CPU usage which is ridiculous. People pay hard earned money buying a really expensive CPu and then when they want to play their game they get very similar performance to someone who spent a fraction of what you did. My GPU for example in on relax mode when I play that game idling about 30% usage and same with my CPU. If they game used 90% of both my CPU and GPU like in properly designed 64bit games I get 120FPS easily. They should have never designed the game for a 32 bit 1 core cpu computer because its bitten them in the ass. And now we hear about lay offs this is terrible, how exactly are they gonna get this game to run properly. 

I imagine that SOE is banking on the console market for Planetside 2 which could improve performance on PC to however I find this unlikely. Console gamers stick with the same games they play all year round, that being either BF3/4 or COD. They will doubtfully ever play PS2 let alone pay money on that platform so they are effectively letting PS2 on PC to rot. I do know they will be releasing content but it would seem every new patch they release it ruins the performance even more or breaks that game until they release a couple new hotfixes to bring the performance back and that is with a full team, if PS2 has 100 less people working on the game how exactly will they ever patch the game in a reasonable amount of time. I know I this may sound very ranty and well it is simply put I think this was a terrible idea to launch the game in the first place if it wasn't designed properly top begin with and they to jump ships like this effectively just pisses me and many other PS2 players off, I would imagine. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Aww.. job cuts always suck, but... hope this doesn't change things for the EQN team, the stuff they are working on seems absolutely magical.

Cheers,

Linus

Not sure how to quote on mobile...

But kuddlesworth, your right about a lot of that, the game is very poorly optimised, which is a major drawback, and prevents the game from getting bigger, it effectively disallows anyone with an average laptop or below average desktop from being able to play the game properly. And for a F2P model, you dont want to be cutting any of the market out. The update that is (supposedly) coming soon to help with optimization will hopefully help with using all the cpu cores, as they are also optimizing for the PS4, which is, as we all know, multicore.

In relation to your GPU only being taxed lightly, crank up the settings a bit, and if they already maxed, then "wrel" has a youtube video about improving FPS, that also talks about how you can get the graphics above what the ingame settings allow

Edit: in terms of getting the game on the PS4, i personally am thinking about getting the PS4, and i would definately get planetside on it, especially if i can use the same character+weapons in both consoles