Which CPU to use?

FX-8350 vs i5-4460 Video Editing

I found both for a similar price, which is better for video editing in general?

For that task only? the FX.

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

the 8350 would be better

but if you want an upgrade you will need to replace your CPU and motherboard too

upgrading the 4460 just requires a CPU, and no need to reinstall windows, change motherboard, etc...

just swap and go

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If you OC the FX 8350, then it's the best choice out of those two.

But honestly, between the money of the 990FX chipset board, and the cooler for it, your costs goes really up (can get up to almost $300 easily) If I were to get something, specially for editing, I'd get a cheap 1150 motherboard and get a cheaper E3 Xeon, one with 4 cores and Hyperthreading; which would perform right up the level of the i7.

If you OC the FX 8350, then it's the best choice out of those two.

But honestly, between the money of the 990FX chipset board, and the cooler for it, your costs goes really up (can get up to almost $300 easily) If I were to get something, specially for editing, I'd get a cheap 1150 motherboard and get a cheaper E3 Xeon, one with 4 cores and Hyperthreading; which would perform right up the level of the i7.

the 8350 would be better

but if you want an upgrade you will need to replace your CPU and motherboard too

upgrading the 4460 just requires a CPU, and no need to reinstall windows, change motherboard, etc...

just swap and go

He already has the FX-8320... 

fx has more cores so better for rendering. my friend has an fx rendering pc

they will have similar performance, the core i5 has better single-threaded performance which will help the editing part but the FX has more threads which will help in the rendering portion of your workflow.

For a purely workstation machine I would recommend an FX-8320 or FX-8320E (whichever is cheaper) and overclock it yourself they are all the same anyways...if you do gaming too i would recommend the i5.

Worth taking a look at would be a Xeon 1231V3 which is basicaly an i7 without IGPu for cheaper, it should not cost much more than an FX with a good overclocking board and a CPU cooler (you can use the boxed heatsink for the Xeon that chip is very efficient and it will not overheat)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($242.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-GAMING 3 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($57.75 @ OutletPC)

Total: $300.74

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-21 22:02 EST-0500

This is an haswell quad-core with hyper-threading (so 8 threads) and it's better than both the i5 and the FX at everything.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

He already has the FX-8320... 

"i found both for a similar price"

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6Kmpzy

Xeon E3 1231v3 (which smashes the 8350) plus a motherboard for under 300$, which would be what you would spend overclocking the 8350 to perform worse.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313