building pc for the first time

ben dover kid

im getting my pc parts in few hours. im going to be upgrading my current pc, but this is the first time i do it. im going to change mobo and cpu, cryorig h7 cpu cooler + case fan.

can someone give me encouraging words and maybe a protip(for example what are the most common fuck-ups people ussually make building pc:s)

:unsure:  :mellow:

Building as pc is easy, even for the first time. Relax and follow guides on youtube. Wiring was an issue for me, but I looked my mobo carefully and figured it out! Happy building!  

DONT BUILD ON A FUCKING CARPET

Also use the Motherboard manual when plugging in the front I/O power/reset buttons as they are normally hard to tell apart.

Good luck with the upgrade!

What is your current rig and what are the upgrades?

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

im getting my pc parts in few hours. im going to be upgrading my current pc, but this is the first time i do it. im going to change mobo and cpu, cryorig h7 cpu cooler + case fan.

can someone give me encouraging words and maybe a protip(for example what are the most common fuck-ups people ussually make building pc:s)

:unsure:  :mellow:

People here are often dismissive of anti-static protection, but I think it's a good idea, as a small risk concerning expensive components is still not a risk worth taking. You can ground yourself either by working barefoot on the floor, wearing an anti-static wristband, or touching the power supply periodically.

Also, route your cables in advance to save yourself a nightmare later on. For example, route your CPU 8-pin power cable under the motherboard or around a cutout if you have one to keep it out of the way. The same applies to everything else, especially that pesky front-panel I/O.

Lastly, build your system outside the case once, just to make sure everything works. You can put the motherboard on top of the box it came in, as it serves as an effective, non-conductive test bench.

Don't apply too much thermal paste, only hold the CPU by the corners and put it in the right way, don't force anything- honestly, just watch any of Linus' videos. If there's ever an expert on this stuff, it's him. I'm not trying to flatter the guy, but he covers everything possible and just does it really well.

Here-

If you run into any issues, feel free to post them here on the forum- users here (myself included) will be more than happy to help out.

Lastly, savour the moment and have fun- building a PC is one of the most enjoyable things a tinkerer can do.

Good luck!

DONT BUILD ON A FUCKING CARPET

Good luck with the upgrade!
What is your current rig and what are the upgrades?

i wont build on a carpet =) . currently i have amd a10 6800k, gtx 970, and some shitty fm2 mobo. new stuff: i5 4690k, gigabyte z97x gaming 3 mobo.

in mobo manual shouldnt there be everything i need? like were the case fan wire goes and stuff like that? sometimes i have seen that there are like 3 pins on for example case fan spot on mobo, but the connector only has 2 holes, so which pins do i take(i hope that makes sense lol)? also can i possibly screw mobo screws too tightly? how about can i screw cpu cooler screws too tightly? what if the mobo snaps in half when i push the ram in? all these questions....

and thermal paste: more is less, right?

People here are often dismissive of anti-static protection, but I think it's a good idea, as a small risk concerning expensive components is still not a risk worth taking. You can ground yourself either by working barefoot on the floor, wearing an anti-static wristband, or touching the power supply periodically.

Also, route your cables in advance to save yourself a nightmare later on. For example, route your CPU 8-pin power cable under the motherboard or around a cutout if you have one to keep it out of the way. The same applies to everything else, especially that pesky front-panel I/O.

Lastly, build your system outside the case once, just to make sure everything works. You can put the motherboard on top of the box it came in, as it serves as an effective, non-conductive test bench.

Don't apply too much thermal paste, only hold the CPU by the corners and put it in the right way, don't force anything- honestly, just watch any of Linus' videos. If there's ever an expert on this stuff, it's him. I'm not trying to flatter the guy, but he covers everything possible and just does it really well.

If you run into any issues, feel free to post them here on the forum- users here (myself included) will be more than happy to help out.

Lastly, savour the moment and have fun- building a PC is one of the most enjoyable things a tinkerer can do.

Good luck!

i have heard that the cpu bracket lever is actually hard to push down. that true?

Don't do what I did with an i7 I had it in may hand and forgot and leaned on the CPU so all the pins bent

Pro Budget Gamer (thats not a thing)

The RAM fits in quite easily and there is no danger of the board snapping dont worry  :D

For your fan question, i had the same situation with a 3 pin fan connector and 4 pin socket; you can use any three without problems.

Screw the mobo standoffs and cpu cooler so they are secure but do not require much strain to untighten.

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

i have heard that the cpu bracket lever is actually hard to push down. that true?

No, not at all it has a bit of resistance but you could push it down with one finger.

i wont build on a carpet =) . currently i have amd a10 6800k, gtx 970, and some shitty fm2 mobo.  new stuff: i5 4690k, gigabyte z97x gaming 3 mobo. 

in mobo manual shouldnt there be everything i need? like were the case fan wire goes and stuff like that? sometimes i have seen that there are like 3 pins on for example case fan spot on mobo, but the connector only has 2 holes, so which pins do i take(i hope that makes sense lol)? also can i possibly screw mobo screws too tightly? how about can i screw cpu cooler screws too tightly? what if the mobo snaps in half when i push the ram in? all these questions....

Don't worry about the motherboard snapping in half if you build in the case or on the box it came it, also just be aware of the correct way the CPU goes in and try not to bend any pins, however if you bend one you should be okay just try to avoid it :D 

p.s Speaking from experience :P

CPU: Intel i7-4790k | Cooler: Corsair H110i GT | Motherboard: MSI Z97I AC  | Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE R9 280  | http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/pszsdC

http://adamredfern.co.uk

http://rewinded.co.uk 

http://yewtreeservices.co.uk/

http://asiat.co.uk/

http://ssstelecom.co.uk

http://hndrx.co.uk/

http://wisemove4u.com/

building on carpet

You mean build it in space.

This is some serious space age shit.

All jokes aside.

This is why i tell people not to buy amd cpus, let alone low end ones. You end up replacing a cpu and mobo (not even mentioning ram, ddr4 m8).

Anyways you should have a overall simular experience building this new computer. Ofc you probably will have to do a clean install.

Spoiler

Nihla

i5 4570k @ 4.20ghz 1.2v | Zotac 1060 AMP + Zotac 1070 ti Mini | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | X2 LG 29UC88

Hifiman HE4xx | Philips SHP9500s | Swans HiVi M10

You mean build it in space.

This is some serious space age shit.

All jokes aside.

This is why i tell people not to buy amd cpus, let alone low end ones. You end up replacing a cpu and mobo (not even mentioning ram, ddr4 m8).

Anyways you should have a overall simular experience building this new computer. Ofc you probably will have to do a clean install.

im hoping i dont have to do clean install. removing all drivers should allow me to boot up and then maybe to the "fix" thing on windows recovery. and i didnt build the last pc, other guy did it. at least there is this awesome linusfirsttimepcbuildingtips forums, im going to ask for help if something doesent work

im hoping i dont have to do clean install. removing all drivers should allow me to boot up and then maybe to the "fix" thing on windows recovery. and i didnt build the last pc, other guy did it. at least there is this awesome linusfirsttimepcbuildingtips forums, im going to ask for help if something doesent work

See your switching mobos. I'm no expert but in my experience if it works after switching mobos(between amd and intel) its always crippled.

Ah i see, well you can use the video Aereldor posted.

Its always a good practice to prepare for the worst.

Spoiler

Nihla

i5 4570k @ 4.20ghz 1.2v | Zotac 1060 AMP + Zotac 1070 ti Mini | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | X2 LG 29UC88

Just testing if this tapatalk works on my phone so i can ask for help of pc doesent boot up

Just testing if this tapatalk works on my phone so i can ask for help of pc doesent boot up

Alrighty good luck. Have the video open on your phone.

Spoiler

Nihla

Rip tht link. And i think this case is closed.

Spoiler

Nihla

Hmm. Forgetting GPU 6 or 8 pin

Forgetting EPS Power

Forgetting Drive Power

Forgetting to turn on power supply switch

Forgetting to power on and check components

Scratching case or side panel

Forget Front i/o

i wont build on a carpet =) . currently i have amd a10 6800k, gtx 970, and some shitty fm2 mobo. new stuff: i5 4690k, gigabyte z97x gaming 3 mobo.

I would of gone h170 for cheap ddr4 use

and a 6600

Even Linus can do it and we know how well he handles things.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Biggest piece of advice. TAKE YOUR TIME. Rushing through things can be your biggest enemy.

Build outside of case first. (kitchen table works well)

Confirm boot without add-on cards (if possible)

If system doesn't boot re-seat everything one at a time. (RAM then CPU)

Route cabling so that nothing is super tight but also doesn't block the view of your epic masterpiece!

HAVE FUN!!!

The only thing we have to fear is... Stupidity...

Rip tht link. And i think this case is closed.

Fixed. I blame new Firefox for not copying http://www. part of the link.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Fixed. I blame new Firefox for not copying http://www. part of the link.

Rip ff

Spoiler

Nihla

Don't press the CPU too hard down Into the socket and bend the pins like yours truly

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1231 V3 3.4ghz CPU COOLER: Cryorig H7 w/ Red Corsair SP120mm  MOBO: MSI SLI Krait Edition Z170 MEMORY: G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb (2x4) Storage: Kingston V300 120gb, WD 1TB GPU: MSI R9 390X CASE: Phantom 410 (ew) PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Modular 550w CASE FANS: 4 CORSAIR SP120mm MONITOR: LG 25UM67 KEYBOARD: Das4 Ultimate Cherry MX Blue MOUSE: Deathadder Chroma Left-Handed AUDIO: Sennheiser HD598 Black, Astro A40s

Welcome to the PCmasterbates

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

I'm 14 and I build PC's. My main 'tech tip' (sorry for the pun) would be to just have common sense and don't just presume. If a PSU connector doesn't seem to go into the motherboard, it's 99.9% likely that it isn't supposed to be there.

You don't need to be an extreme computer wizard to build a computer, you just need time and money and a passion in what you're doing. Think of it as a kit: Just without printed instructions :-). The reason you don't see your average computer user or gamer building PC's is they either don't have the money, are confused or scared as to the difficulty.

People come up to me as if I had done a miracle when they hear I'd built a couple of PC's in the past two years. It's really not that diffucult. Just go for it and you won't regret it. And you save money at the same time if you're spending over about £500-600 or dollars for that matter.