Video Recorder Recomendation

cpendas

I've been researching on this topic for more than 3 weeks, I've bought 6 different capture devices and I'm ready to admit that I'm stuck. Hope someone here might be able to help.

My need: I have a device that outputs composite video and need to watch grab screenshots and record video on a mac or pc, ideally allowing me to choose the capture software (e.g. VLC). 

Where I'm at:

I tested cheap EZCAP devices, the software is crap. It is also not supported in the latest OSX

Elgato: Proprietary recording software is shit.

Blackmagic intesity: You need very specific hardware to make it work. I couldn't. Software is also crazy complex from what i've seen.

Avermedia Live Gamer: The software is good enough that I wouldn't need to use another software, but it does not take Composite video :(!!!

TL;DR Now, I know I'm running out of options, my best bet so far is the Avermedia Live Gamer, I've been looking for ways to convert Composite to Component without luck. 

Another alternative would be to convert Composite to HDMI, and then input to the Avermedia, what would be the best way to do that?

NVM, you already looked at the Intensity

So you have a camera with composite out, and you just need a device to get that video onto a computer?  Why not just record it internally on the camera and read the memory card on your computer afterwards.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

I've been researching on this topic for more than 3 weeks, I've bought 6 different capture devices and I'm ready to admit that I'm stuck. Hope someone here might be able to help.

What are you trying to record? and you'll probably always run into issues finding OSX compatible stuff

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I'm recording video from an endoscope. Yes, OSX is whats causing all my pain.  Avermedia Live Gamer works great though, except It does not take composite video. :(

I'm recording video from an endoscope. Yes, OSX is whats causing all my pain.  Avermedia Live Gamer works great though, except It does not take composite video. :(

Could just dual boot the OSX machine or run windows in a virtual machine on it

also is yours like some high end kinda thing? because this one is USB

http://www.tomtop.com/usb-2-0-endoscope-waterproof-inspection-camera-borescope-5m-h9637.html?currency=USD〈=en&aid=gpla&gclid=COvguOyN6ckCFQiKaQodb1EIwQ

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

Try looking for some composite video capture cards or composite to HDMI capture cards on B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1002014-REG/viewcast_95_00476_osprey_100e_composite_video.html

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Could just dual boot the OSX machine or run windows in a virtual machine on it

also is yours like some high end kinda thing? because this one is USB

http://www.tomtop.com/usb-2-0-endoscope-waterproof-inspection-camera-borescope-5m-h9637.html?currency=USD〈=en&aid=gpla&gclid=COvguOyN6ckCFQiKaQodb1EIwQ

It is a medical device, hi tech but kind of old. It does not have any other available outputs. 

It has to run naively in OSX our whole suit runs on OSX and the doctor can't switch just to perform a study. Also, that's frankly too much to ask for some doctors.

It is a medical device, hi tech but kind of old. It does not have any other available outputs. 

Well how much does a newer scope cost? because if it's not much more than a high end capture card, and it supports USB something for it's output well there you go.

Spoiler

Well how much does a newer scope cost? because if it's not much more than a high end capture card, and it supports USB something for it's output well there you go.

A newer video processing unit for the endoscope will probably cost 30 - 50 thousand dollars. We are trying to save our customers thousands of dollars with our solution, we've managed to do that on a pc for some time now but doing it in OSX is much much harder. 

I found a composite to HDMI converter in B&H that I will try and hopefully it will work. 

Thanks!

A newer video processing unit for the endoscope will probably cost 30 - 50 thousand dollars. We are trying to save our customers thousands of dollars with our solution, we've managed to do

Just be sure it's actually a converter and not just some cables that are connected together, the signal would need to be switched from analog to digital

Spoiler