Why should I upgrade to Windows 10? (for my use case.)

First off, I am mostly interested in learning facts and opinions from other people, I myself, have no intention of upgrading (more like a down grade due to primarily Privacy.)

for my use case:  I value privacy, and let's pretend that Vulkan dominates over DX12, neutralizing this asset.

Considering the above, Why upgrade to 10 from 7?  It's free, right?

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

an already equipped antivirus 

CPU: i5 4690k  (overclocked to 4.3ghz)             CPU Cooler: Cryorig h7                 MOBO:  Msi Z97 pc mate             RAM: 8GB HyperX 1600 blue

GPU: rx480  4gb                                                 CASE: Corsair Spec-01 red              OS: Windows 10

PSU: EVGA 500   watt                                       SSD:    v60gb Mushkin ssd                HDD: 1000GB WD BLUE

because there are no issues with privacy

and it looks better and runs faster

but seriously, the internet overreacts to everything, there is nobody snooping through your files xD

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Depends on the person really, for one I would rather stick with W7, as far as I know some apps have some problems with 10

Regarding your privacy, I would again stick with W7.

i am kinda paranoid with windows 10 at early stage (yes its still in early...) i rather wait 1-2 years before i leave windows 7. privacy, well you can turn that off easy. but same as windows 8, not all programs ever work yet...yet. yes preformace is better and dx12 is faster in games i guess.

BUT... its maybe better to let Microsoft "build up" windows 10 a bit before you switch from windows 7  ^_^

┏(◑̃.◑̃)┛ Totally Not Dangerous ┏(◐̃.◐̃)┛

i7 4790K / 16GB RAM \ 250GB SSD

First off, I am mostly interested in learning facts and opinions from other people, I myself, have no intention of upgrading (more like a down grade due to primarily Privacy.)

for my use case:  I value privacy, and let's pretend that Vulkan dominates over DX12, neutralizing this asset.

Considering the above, Why upgrade to 10 from 7?  It's free, right?

What privacy do you have in w7 that you wont in w10?If you value privacy so much you should prob stay off the internet ;P

What privacy do you have in w7 that you wont in w10?If you value privacy so much you should prob stay off the internet ;P

:)  That's a valid suggestion :)

I don't see if you are implying the Windows 10 is as much of a snoop as 7, or Windows 7 is just as bad as 10 for privacy. 

That being said, Microsoft has updated WIndows 7 & 8 to send them telemetry, which I hope I'll be able to disable permanently.

also, your profile picture looks kind of like Batman with the square on the side, just glancing back.  Plus the light gray makes me think of light blue for batman.

batman-07.jpg

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

boots up so much faster(win7 boot up time was like 30 seconds, windows 10 is like 8 seconds, same files and all, only os changed), runs smoother/faster, privacy isnt that big of a deal, you really think microsoft has time to concentrate on "very personal" data of hundreds of millions of people? that data is used for advertising, and it is possible to turn all of those off in registry editor, easy tutorials for that. i upgraded because i wanted something new, and i feel like its refreshing upgrade, its better in my opinion and i like the new look mixed with old. you can always downgrade if you dont like it so is there anything to lose?

:)  That's a valid suggestion :)

I don't see if you are implying the Windows 10 is as much of a snoop as 7, or Windows 7 is just as bad as 10 for privacy. 

That being said, Microsoft has updated WIndows 7 & 8 to send them telemetry, which I hope I'll be able to disable permanently.

I'm implying that if they wanna snoop on you there going to either way.  As long as your connected you're never actually safe from prying eyes.

i am kinda paranoid with windows 10 at early stage (yes its still in early...) i rather wait 1-2 years before i leave windows 7. privacy, well you can turn that off easy. but same as windows 8, not all programs ever work yet...yet. yes preformace is better and dx12 is faster in games i guess.

BUT... its maybe better to let Microsoft "build up" windows 10 a bit before you switch from windows 7  ^_^

Just don't accidentally wait too long... The free upgrade offer only lasts a year, and we've gone through some of that year.

Thy hath sinneth, and in thy life thou hast fallen to an unholy, unspeakable level of humanity. Thou hast given into your basest needs. And suffered many years under thine Satan-box. However, if thine be willing, as thy hast show yourself to be, thy can ascendeth into thy glorious fold of the glorious church. Go well, my brother, may your temps be low and your frames high. ~ MrDynamicMan

I personally think there are not advantages to moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Apart from a faster boot time, Windows 10 is not better performing with applications or gaming than Windows 7 or Windows 8.

The privacy issue is a big deal for me, and while it has been pointed out to me by Kherm that telemetry can supposedly be completely deactivated in Windows 10, I'd first like confirmation that this works, and will not be quietly reset by MS in an update, as MS have done regarding file associations in Windows 10, and also in some situations regarding telemetry updates in Windows 7 and 8.

At this time, I'm not aware of any potential advantage to DirectX 12, as every major and many minor game engine makers (Epic, Valve, DICE, Crytek, Unity, and lots more) have already publicly stated that they will have Vulkan support built in to their game engines. And Valve has said they don't see a clear reason why anybody would make a DX12 back end for their application, when DX12 is for Windows 10 only, and Vulkan is for everything, including Windows 10.

At some point I may make a big thread looking at all the individual considerations that I see as factors in a decision to choose between Windows 7 and 10. But essentially, I view Windows 10 as a re-presentation of Windows 7 / 8, with some important major features removed, and only smaller ones gained. And I see the motivation behind this re-presentation of essentially the same core OS as being to make a version which is highly monetized, and which garners revenue for MS whenever a person is using it. The only person for whom I think Windows 10 is the best Windows ever, is for Microsoft. Windows 10 is a perpetual money-making machine for MS, even when it's given away for free - which is why MS is trying to get everyone to move to it.

There are also bugs and stability issues in Windows 10, which will probably, hopefully all be ironed out over time. But in Windows, 7 since its first release, I never encountered issues of the type I have in Windows 10, and basically never had a significant in issue in Windows 7. And before Windows 7, I hardly had issues in Windows Vista (though I had a powerful PC for the time). Windows 10 has had more and deeper issues during my use of it than either Windows 7 or Vista. Stuff like the start menu crashing seems just amateur and tacky. And getting a couple BSODs in Windows 10 within a couple months of using it makes the OS feel clunky, to me. It reminds me of fighting with the OS like in the days of Windows 95, or to a lesser extent, 98. Not anywhere near as much, but more than anything I've encountered since at least Windows XP. It doesn't feel like a forward movement, as Vista and 7 did, for me.

I think if you have Windows 7 or 8(.1), you already have the OS that is being repackaged as Windows 10. And the repacking that is Windows 10 is for Microsoft's benefit, and incurs compromises to the actual PC owner who installs it on their system. And I don't think a person will ever have to move to Windows 10 if they stick with Windows 7 or 8(.1) for now, as Windows 10 will be leaving its "mainstream support" period by the time Windows 7 exits its "extended support" period, which means that a new Windows OS will likely have already been released for a year or two, at that point.

I think Windows 10 is not a competitive OS, compared to Windows 7, but that it has a cheap psychological draw, being released very recently.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

--snip--

I would appreciate a source to the companies supporting Vulkan please.

This is exactly how I felt.

Just don't accidentally wait too long... The free upgrade offer only lasts a year, and we've gone through some of that year.

Don't worry I will one day upgrade to it. When I know that all software I use works.   ^_^

┏(◑̃.◑̃)┛ Totally Not Dangerous ┏(◐̃.◐̃)┛

i7 4790K / 16GB RAM \ 250GB SSD

If you value your privacy to the max. But are fine with general basic telemetry (what you use as Windows feature ('always' been collected) and system specs) data similar to what Steam collects. And you want Windows 10. Simply don't use any Microsoft service (nor Google', especially not Google), and disable everything, under Privacy -> Settings, and have your account a local account.

You'll lose a lot on Windows features, as they require Microsoft servers to operate, but you have max privacy similar to Windows 7.

But yes, people completely overact on the web. Microsoft doesn't snoop on you, if they really did, I can assure you, that would be suicidal for the company, as no business will do affairs with them. The problem is that the Privacy Policy and EULA are written in plain English, and not a team of 10 lawyers to understand, so terminology isn't exact, and Windows 10 includes multiple services put into one: Windows Defender (can take file samples for improved protection when issues arises (virus, potential malware/virus, false detection, etc., OneDrive (in order to give you the service, the files you put in there, will be on Microsoft servers to access them: obviously, that is the point of cloud storage), Mail/Calendar with Microsoft account (sending/receiving mail, setting up calendar etc. with your Hotmail, Outlook.com, Live, account, Microsoft server will have your mail, calendar, etc.. to offer you the service. Obviously. Cortana. Disabled by default, Cortana like Google Voice and Siri, processes most voice recognition command on the clouds, and your voice samples is used into a learning algorithm to improved the voice recognition system. And so on.

In your case, Windows 10 will get you new productivity improvement features, such as improved environmental variable panels, command line (can select, copy/paste, like normal, have word wrap with a scalable window), multiple desktop, improved Aero snap, improved file transfer system (more details on transfers, pause/resume transfers and better file collision handling), auto switch from wireless to wired internet and vise versa (good for laptops, or tablets with dock station with Ethernet plug), improved task manager, improved File Explorer, improved remote desktop (Pro edition) and Hyper-V (pro edition).

Gaming performance will depend on how good or bad your manufacture made their Windows 10 drivers, but should be fine. The OS is better optimized for lower end hardware, and improved SSD support (well, since Windows 8), full UEFI support (since Windows 8 as well).

Vulkan vs DirectX 12 cannot be compared. Vulkan is not out yet, let alone anything made with it, and DirectX 12 nothing made with it is done with it, and like anything new in OpenGL/DirectX world, GPU manufactures might have support, but optimization will come in the future, and developers needs to know more about either to know how to optimize things for it.

The only reason why DirectX continues to be popular in PC Windows based games (despite smartphones (beside Windows Mobile/Phone), MacOS, and Linux based OS being all OpenGL, is that DirectX has extensive and really good documentation with countless good examples, making it easy to learn, backed with a strong community, and DirectX was designed to be debugable, OpenGL being older was not (but not out, it was Silicon graphics proprietary graphic library for its own GPUs. It was also very primitive making it a non issue). While they are tools in OpenGL to debug its shaders, they are fairly primitive compared to the DirectX (well Direct2D/Direct3D, as DirectX is a set of components). Then this shows more variable on which is best. Is DirectX only better because it is easier to learn, has lots of documentation, and great examples, so people know the right way directly to make more optimized code? Is is because DirectX is easier to debug that developers can more easily identify performance issues with their GPU, and correct them? Is if because OpenGL is harder language that more experience developers can use it, as have a long background from their years of experience, in using optimized code? Is AMD/Nvidia DirectX drivers better than OpenGL? etc.

So, I won't get into which one is better.

The only good thing, is that OpenGL and DirectX creates competition, and pushes one and another, which benefits everyone: Gamers, 'CAD'ers', and anyone using any software that is hardware accelerated (web browser, video player, Office, Windows 8/10 ModernUI/Universal Apps, Windows Presentation Form made software (Visual Studio GUI, Office, etc). PhotoShop, and lots and lots more.

A perfect example is back in DirectX 9 days. It didn't move for years, because OpenGL was nothing compared to DirectX. Microsoft slept on it for years on end, that OpenGL finally catches up, and now we are in for excitement, hence now we have Vulkan and DirectX 12. So love and hate OpenGl/DirectX, don't wish either to die, because we all win from this fight.