Apple currently can't make 3D touch for iPads and Apple's working on it.

AlTech

When the iPad Pro was announced, everybody was mad when it didn't and still doesn't support 3D touch. This might not have actually been Apple's fault. It appears that iPad sized pressure sensitive displays can't be made currently. And it will not arrive with the iPad Air 3. But Apple's working on it and so we may see it in the iPad Pro 2 / iPad Pro 2016.

Apple-iPad-Air-2-all-the-official-images

According to a report from KGI Securities, Apple will be launching iPad Air 3 in the first half of 2016, possibly in March. Apple usually releases new tablets at the end of the year, something that hasn’t happened this year. Apple launched a new addition to the family, the 12.9 inch iPad Pro, at the iPhone event in September. The refresh to iPad Air 2 is thus expected to come early next year.

It was believed that iPad Air 3 will sport Apple’s pressure-sensitive 3D Touch technology. The upcoming 9.7-inch iPad, however, will not be able to sport 3D Touch due to supply issues. The report claims that the 3D Touch production is still below 30 percent, making it highly unlikely for Apple to feature in the upcoming tablet.

3D Touch is an intuitive feature of the iPhone 6s that we all love. However, Apple has not yet introduced it on its iPad lineup. As per an authentic source of Apple Insider, the company is developing a new scalable 3D Touch technology, which work on bigger displays such as that of the iPad.

As great as it would be to implement the 3D Touch technology on bigger displays, it is currently not possible for the company to integrate it on the iPad Air lineup due to scalability and technological reasons. Nonetheless, once it’s ready, Apple would be able to integrate it on the gigantic 12.9-inch iPad Pro as well.

Unfortunately, the scalable 3D Touch technology would not be ready in time for the upcoming iPad Air 3 or the iPhone 7. The iPad 3 is said to be launched in March 2016, while the latter is said to take center stage at September 2016. Infamous Apple analyst, Ming-Chi Kuo had also previously suggested that a comparable technology or 3D Touch will not be available on the forthcoming iPhone and iPad. However, it might be available until after the fall of 2016. Possibly, the source points at a 2017 debut of the 3D Touch comparable technology. Moreover, KGI analyst, Kuo also suggested that the iPad Air 3 would not feature 3D Touch due to supply issues.

Opinion - I couldn't care less since i won't be buying an ipad any time soon.

http://wccftech.com/ipad-air-3-to-launch-in-march-2016-without-3d-touch/

http://wccftech.com/apple-is-developing-new-scalable-3d-touch-technology-for-ipads-and-iphones/

Leave a comment below!

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

iPhone 7 without 3D Touch? I call bullshit.

The info about the tablets makes sense though.

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

I don't think "3D Touch" is all that special really. My mom and her boyfriend both hate it because half the time when opening an app they get a menu (I guess they're heavy-fingered), and it's really just a long-press feature. The only useful thing to come out of it is weighing things, which Apple doesn't want you to do.

CPU: AMD FX-6350@4.2Ghz GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston Fury Black + 2x4Gb Corsair Vengeance HDD: WD Green 1Tb SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 60Gb CASE: DeepCool Tesseract SW

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fJLRWZ

I don't think "3D Touch" is all that special really. My mom and her boyfriend both hate it because half the time when opening an app they get a menu (I guess they're heavy-fingered), and it's really just a long-press feature. The only useful thing to come out of it is weighing things, which Apple doesn't want you to do.

You can disable the feature.

iPhone 7 without 3D Touch? I call bullshit.

The info about the tablets makes sense though.

There will be 3D touch on it, it makes literally 0 sense to have a feature taken away when they already implemented it just because they couldn't do it on the iPads.

Didn't know that, I have an Android. But i'll be sure to let them know. Thanks!

CPU: AMD FX-6350@4.2Ghz GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston Fury Black + 2x4Gb Corsair Vengeance HDD: WD Green 1Tb SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 60Gb CASE: DeepCool Tesseract SW

Seriously? Apple can't make a pressure-sensitive touch screen? Are you freaking serious, Apple?

Wacom has been making pressure-sensitive touch panels over twice the size of iPads for YEARS now.

Honestly I think it's a clash between wanting to make a 3D-touch-capable iPad and wanting to make it thinner.

Just make the damn thing thicker so it can be pressure-sensitive! We don't want to carry around a piece of paper anyway! it's called a tablet for a reason, APPLE.

I find that feature useless. Sorry, it's just a gimmick for me... I hope people find it useful though. Not hating on the new iPhone, it's just that I find it useless. :D

Seriously? Apple can't make a pressure-sensitive touch screen? Are you freaking serious, Apple?

Wacom has been making pressure-sensitive touch panels over twice the size of iPads for YEARS now.

Honestly I think it's a clash between wanting to make a 3D-touch-capable iPad and wanting to make it thinner.

Just make the damn thing thicker so it can be pressure-sensitive! We don't want to carry around a piece of paper anyway! it's called a tablet for a reason, APPLE.

I disagree, thinness is very important for tablets given their huge size. The latest iPad Pro fits much better in the hand than the original iPad.

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

This is why you don't give me phones with them  Cos then I might put it on the floor and stand on it to measure weight. /jk

They can. just not at huge tablet sizes.

There will be 3D touch on it, it makes literally 0 sense to have a feature taken away when they already implemented it just because they couldn't do it on the iPads.

I'm assuming what it means is that it won't feature an "enhanced" version of it.

I disagree, thinness is very important for tablets given their huge size. The latest iPad Pro fits much better in the hand than the original iPad.

I like tablets which are thin, have good battery life and run a real OS like Windows :). Tablets need to be thin cos of their size.

I have a way of seeing if something is too big.

The greater the screen size in inches, the thinner the device should be. Maybe I'll make a formula for determining appropriate phone and tablet thickness depending on size :)

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

The greater the screen size in inches, the thinner the device should be. Maybe I'll make a formula for determining appropriate phone and tablet thickness depending on size :)

Oooh, yeah! You've made me curious now! :D

Come up with the formula.

I want to see how thin a tablet the size of my desk would have to be... :P

This is why you don't give me phones with them Cos then I might put it on the floor and stand on it to measure weight. /jk

They can. just not at huge tablet sizes.

I'm assuming what it means is that it won't feature an "enhanced" version of it.

I like tablets which are thin, have good battery life and run a real OS like Windows :). Tablets need to be thin cos of their size.

I have a way of seeing if something is too big.

@Exhilarare It doesn't matter how hard you press on an app, if you don't hold the pressure for a certain amount of time, it will just open not give you a menu. To open an app, you tap it, not press on it. Just tested it on my phone

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX

It's not the panel that is pressure sensitive, it is the digitizer that comes along with it. It's built into the stylus itself.

Pressure sensitive screens are another story though, and scalability reasons are sort of an issue in terms of structural rigidity. It's easy to implement 3D touch on an iPhone due to simple physics (less moment/ net torque on the screen when peeking/popping= not a huge chance of shattering) in comparison to iPad (screen is bigger=more moment/net torque on screen=higher chances of shattering= #bendgate2)

That and yields too.

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

i disagree. It's completely different from long press feature. Long press is usually when you want to move things while force touching is mostly a shortcutting feature with other extremely useful additions like peek, pop, trackpad, etc

One, what wacom has and the iPhone 6s has is two very different technology doing the same thing or rather 3D touch is an advancement of wacom's digitizer method where the screen can read force feedback from anything and not just a specialized stylus. 

Plus apple already uses what wacom uses with the ipad pro

Second people will prefer to carry paper than a large brick. I like the idea that the ipad is as thin as it is today because not only does it make it light, but also slick. But on the other hand i do really hate the fact that they're sacrificing battery on the iphone for thinness. Afterall technology has to advance and stuff should get thinner and smaller not the other way around like you suggested

i disagree. It's completely different from long press feature. Long press is usually when you want to move things while force touching is mostly a shortcutting feature with other extremely useful additions like peek, pop, trackpad, etc

I see your point, but couldn't you just have a option that comes up with a longpress to say: "Peek; Pop; Trackpad; Move; Delete; Etc."? 

I feel like that would be better and cheaper than having a special screen made for pressure sensitivity, and easier than pressing harder on the screen.

I see your point, but couldn't you just have a option that comes up with a longpress to say: "Peek; Pop; Trackpad; Move; Delete; Etc."? 

I feel like that would be better and cheaper than having a special screen made for pressure sensitivity, and easier than pressing harder on the screen.

So what about all the current long press features? You can bind any functionality into anything but that's not the point. What force press just did is open a whole new dimension to play with. Just think of the peek and pop scenario, if the whole point of the features is to browse through content faster then how will long press where there's always a 1 sec delay make things faster. It isn't and in fact long press is the right click here where its something that you shouldn't use much. In other words Apple just introduced a new button without introducing any button. Force touching is same as the tap except you're putting more force with that click. Its a feature with so much potential and its hard to explain until and unless you get used to it. 

I still consider it a useless gimmick.

Also, I call bs on them not being able to do it. I just find it incredibly strange that size would be a limiting factor, especially when both screens are pretty small relatively speaking and certainly not too different in size compared to what a 30" 3d touch panel would have been. What is probably happening is that they can't figure out a way to pop it in without sacrificing thinness (which I don't give a damn about as long as it isn't a brick) and the ever so important 70% profit margins. Still, I can't be sure.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

omfg but all Apple does is copy and paste. why don't they just copy the 6s and make it bigger? /s