NTFS or exFat

MayorPotatoSalad

I just got a new 1Tb WD Black that I am using for all of my games. What should I the file system be, NTFS or exFat?

Thanks

NTFS is the most common file system

exFAT is mainly for thumbdrives

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I just got a new 1Tb WD Black that I am using for all of my games. What should I the file system be, NTFS or exFat?

Thanks

NTFS.  

exFAT (extended File Allocation Table) has many improvements over the FAT system it updates, and is the preferred file system to use on thumb drives and memory cards.

Some notable improvemensts are:

• It is a 64 bit system, so it supports larger files (FAT32 was limited to 4GB), larger drives (FAT 32 max was 2TB, and wasted more space as drives got larger), etc.
  • Improved directory handling (larger, more efficient)
  • Improved error correction
  • Improved fragmentation handling

NTFS has many improvements over exFAT, including better error recovery, fault detection, reliability, security, etc.  But the processing overhead and complexity of NTFS make it impractical for use on thumb drives and memory cards, so for Thumb drives and memory cards, exFAT is preferred.  For just about everything else for the average user, use NTFS.

- Pete

Folding For Linus since July 2015

~snip~

Hey there :)

AS the guys suggested, NTFS would be the better choice as this is the native file system for the Windows OS. exFAT would enable the drive to be read and written on on Windows as well as on Mac OS but NTFS has many improvements and benefits over exFAT, as @petem explained. 
Since this will be an internal drive NTFS would be the best choice. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/