"Cheap" Mechanical or "Expensive" normal Keyboard?

martward

What would be better for someone who mainly (order of quantity):

- Codes

- Writes papers

- Games (FPS and RPG)

For instance:

- Rapoo V700 or Corsair Raptor K30?

For specific advice, I live in the Netherlands and the Rapoo is actually the cheapest I can find (€70).

Thanks y'all

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

Roccat Ryos MX should be a relatively cheap, gaming mechanical keyboard.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Mechanical

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

I'd get a mechanical keyboard. what's the point in spending a lot of money on a membrane keyboard.

| CPU: Intel Core i3 4130 | GPU: PowerColor R9 270 | Motherboard: Asrock H81M-HDS | RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 4GB |

|HDD: Western Digital 1TB | Case: NZXT Source 210 | PSU: Corsair CX430W | 

| Mic: Blue Snowball iCE | Mouse: Corsair K65 RGB | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma |

Cheap mechanical. Expensive membranes aren't worth it IMO.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

mechanical. one of the best kbs for the money is the cm storm series. they are very cheap but still good quality and use cherry switches

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

well mechanical is definitely better soooo

We're all dying slowly

Pentium G3258 3.2 ghz / ECS z97 pk MOBO / Intel Stock Cooler / R9 290 DD / Corsair Carbide Air 240 / 4GB mushkin stealth ram at 1600 / XFX 650W 80+ gold PSU / Kingston v300 240GB drive W/300GB seagate drive / HP x2301 / Gateway KB / Monoprice GM

Roccat Ryos MX should be a relatively cheap, gaming mechanical keyboard.

That one is actually €160 here :S

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

I'd get a mechanical keyboard. what's the point in spending a lot of money on a membrane keyboard.

well mechanical is definitely better soooo

mechanical. one of the best kbs for the money is the cm storm series. they are very cheap but still good quality and use cherry switches

Cheap mechanical. Expensive membranes aren't worth it IMO.

Should've mentioned, an "expensive" regular keyboard is about half of a "cheap" mechanical keyboard.

That's why I put the quotations there but I forgot to mention it in the post

My System:

Spoiler

Expensive membrane keyboards are only expensive because of marketing and gimmicks. Mechanical keyboards actually have value, and they will last far, far longer.

Logitech G710+ is a great one but I'm not sure how much is it at your location and if you can afford it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

https://www.alternate.nl/Corsair/Vengeance-K70-Fully-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-Toetsenbord/html/product/1154543

Corsair K70 is currently 60 euro's cheaper on alternate. YOu might wanna get it. I also got it this week, and it's amazing.

FX-6300 cooled by Nepton 240M | EVGA GTX 970 SuperClocked | 8GB G.Skill ValueRAM | Cooler Master 690 III | Sharkoon WMP 500 Bronze

Power supplies:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/406160-psu-ranking-and-tiers/ My F@h stats: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=zyntaxable Intel vs. FX for gaming: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/401217-more-updated-fx-vs-intel-for-gaming/

Logitech G710+ is a great one but I'm not sure how much is it at your location and if you can afford it.

Also over €100 :(

My System:

Spoiler

https://www.alternate.nl/Corsair/Vengeance-K70-Fully-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-Toetsenbord/html/product/1154543

Corsair K70 is currently 60 euro's cheaper on alternate. YOu might wanna get it. I also got it this week, and it's amazing.

Oh wow thanks, I'll look in to it!

My System:

Spoiler

Expensive membrane keyboards don't make sense. You're just paying for them to tack on features that are next to useless in an effort to see how far they can push the prices.

Mechanical keyboards have been in preference for people who do mostly typing for a long, long time. Writing a lot was a key element in me personally getting a mechanical keyboard. Also, with a mechanical keyboard, you really should ignore the price unless you're comparing two identical products. Mechanical keyboards are extremely durable and there's excellent support for breaking pretty much anything on the keyboard short of the LEDs.

I got my current mechanical keyboard over 2 years ago and I pretty much got the cheapest thing I could find. The keyboard still works perfectly, the only way you can tell it's seen use is the wear on the keycaps. Sadly, my choice of keyboard, coupled with being from a Nordic country limits my options for replacing keycaps to basically one brand. Ftr, I got a SteelSeries 6Gv2.

I own and use, sorted from newest to oldest: SteelSeries 6Gv2. Microsoft SideWinder X4. Mionix Naos 7000. Zowie EC1 Evo. Microsoft SideWinder X8. Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0. Dell U2414H. Samsung P2270H. AKG K273 Pro. Sennheiser HD555. Razer Goliathus Speed Medium. Func 1030 L. Qpad CT Medium.

I used to own: Razer DeathAdder 3G. Razer Krait. IntelliMouse Optical 1.1. SteelSeries QcK.

not sure if they sell this where you live or if this is the same price, but here is a cheap mechanical keyboard in US dollars 

| CPU: Intel Core i3 4130 | GPU: PowerColor R9 270 | Motherboard: Asrock H81M-HDS | RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 4GB |

|HDD: Western Digital 1TB | Case: NZXT Source 210 | PSU: Corsair CX430W | 

| Mic: Blue Snowball iCE | Mouse: Corsair K65 RGB | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma |

not sure if they sell this where you live or if this is the same price, but here is a cheap mechanical keyboard in US dollars 

Those are still kind of expensive, but I also use the numpad alot.

Thanks for the suggestion though :)

My System:

Spoiler

I payed 70 for my quickfire tk lel

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Pretty sure JayzTwoCents just did a review of a super cheap mechanical keyboard, I can't remember what it was called but it was like $60 USD

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB