Noctua bottom case fan with filter (120 mm)

sfree4pc
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

My biggest doubt was which would give more performance/cooling, I can tolerate 2db more (from 17+db to 19+db) which is fine, are you sure in this case the NF-P12 should outperform the NF-S12A in cooling effectiveness? If that is the case I will get the P12.

The NF-P12 would have a higher upper limit on cooling. 

Hi good people, I have a Fractal design S case, with two Noctua NF-A14 PWM in the front (placed in the upper position in intake) and one NF-A14 PWM in the back of the case (exaust), a Noctua nh-d15 in the middle cooling the cpu and conducting air from the front through the back.

Now I want to install one fan at the bottom of the case to help cool the GPU and have more positive pressure, it has to be a 120mm because of the size of the PSU.

I was thinking of the Noctua NF-S12A PWM with 62.21 cfm airflow and 1.19mm static resistance.

or

Noctua NF-P12 PWM with 54.3 cfm airflow and 1.68mm static resistance.

Which one should I go for, knowing that the bottom of the case has a dust filter but some typical relatively large holes? Should I go for better static resistance, or is the 1.19mm of the S12A enough? Am I doing something wrong in my cooling setup? Thanks.

I'll Leave a Image of the bottom here: fractal_design_define_s_review_psu.jpg

I would go with Noctua NF-P12. As you have filter in bottom of the case, you probably need more static resistance/pressure to get and make the actual airflow. NF-S12A is better for a place where you already have good airflow so it would boost it even more towards something you want to cool. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks yimello, that is indeed logical, but someone told me that the resistance of a normal dust filter without mesh (I don't know if the holes in the case can be considered mesh) is very low, so the the static pressure of the S12A should be enough (1.19mm), and after that it's all about airflow. What do you think?

Thanks yimello, that is indeed logical, but someone told me that the resistance of a normal dust filter without mesh (I don't know if the holes in the case can be considered mesh) is very low, so the the static pressure of the S12A should be enough (1.19mm), and after that it's all about airflow. What do you think?

It's hard to tell which would be better in this case. Different dust filters have various effects on airflow which may end up making one fan more suitable than the other.

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It's hard to tell which would be better in this case. Different dust filters have various effects on airflow which may end up making one fan more suitable than the other.

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

Thanks WoodenMarker, I'll use reply from now on, the bottom dust filter of the define S is not very dense, I have a Nanoxia Deep Silence 5, and the dust filter is more dense almost invisible holes. But I think that the upper side of the case and the CPU is covered with good airflow and I get good temps, now I only want the cool the GPU a little more, I have a asus strix gtx 980ti that tends to get a little hotter, I could tweak the profile of the GPU fans to spin more agressively, but it would result in a lot more noise, so I want to keep the low profile but help it with a low noise fan, I know that the S12A has less noise than the P12, but if it doesn't help cooling the GPU, than one extra fan for nothing. What do you think?

Thanks WoodenMarker, I'll use reply from now on, the bottom dust filter of the define S is not very dense, I have a Nanoxia Deep Silence 5, and the dust filter is more dense almost invisible holes. But I think that the upper side of the case and the CPU is covered with good airflow and I get good temps, now I only want the cool the GPU a little more, I have a asus strix gtx 980ti that tends to get a little hotter, I could tweak the profile of the GPU fans to spin more agressively, but it would result in a lot more noise, so I want to keep the low profile but help it with a low noise fan, I know that the S12A has less noise than the P12, but if it doesn't help cooling the GPU, than one extra fan for nothing. What do you think?

What I meant when I mentioned it was hard to tell was that either would be a fine option. They'd both do the job. The NF-S12A would be quieter and the NF-P12 would deliver more performance.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

What I meant when I mentioned it was hard to tell was that either would be a fine option. They'd both do the job. The NF-S12A would be quieter and the NF-P12 would deliver more performance.

My biggest doubt was which would give more performance/cooling, I can tolerate 2db more (from 17+db to 19+db) which is fine, are you sure in this case the NF-P12 should outperform the NF-S12A in cooling effectiveness? If that is the case I will get the P12.

I have an R5 and I run a fan in the bottom. It gets dusty pretty quick, so I run a static pressure fan in it. Works great.

I had a Corsair quiet AF fan, but switched to a Noctua P.

Thanks

Thanks

I got a 140MM Noctua Industrial fan in the bottom on my Define S. I only have 2 screws holding it in but its not moving.

I7 5820k, Asus X99 Sabertooth, 980Ti Classified, 32gb Gskill Ripjaws 4, Corsair Rm1000i, Samsung 950 Pro, Custom Loop Xspc Cpu Block Ek Gpu Block, Windows 10, Define S. Acer Predator XB271HU

Yeah. I did not see that you replied to me as I did not follow the topic and you did not quote or marked me :) Anyway I am happy that you got the best answer already :)

P.S. You can make (DIY) some kind of a "box" with ~45 degree line on top of the fan to make the air go from the bottom straight in to the middle of GPU instead of air going in the end of it :)