Making my own Multiplayer FPS Game, where to start?

Rayhaan Jiwani

Hello Forum,

Some of you guys who hang out in this section or saw my post when it was made will know that I want to make my own multiplayer FPS game. Now after many suggestions which told me to make my own assets and use the latest version of UE4, I've reached somewhere with my planning but I still want to know where should I start.

Should I start making my own assets or learning the Blueprint system in UE4? And since I'm a noob to all of this, I'll definitely get confused if I do a lot at once. Now please don't tell me to not make my own game 'cause that's my dream and instead answer the question above.

Thanks! :)

CPU: i5 4690K @ Stock                GPU: Asus GTX 970 STRIX @ Stock      SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB (OS and Drivers)     Headset: Audio-Technica M20X

Case: Corsair Obsidian 250D        RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB LP             HDD: WD Caviar Black 2TB                                         Mouse: Logitech m185

OS: Windows 8.1 OEM                 PSU: Corsair RM650                                Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97N Mini ITX                         Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K65 RGB

Hello Forum,

Some of you guys who hang out in this section or saw my post when it was made will know that I want to make my own multiplayer FPS game. Now after many suggestions which told me to make my own assets and use the latest version of UE4, I've reached somewhere with my planning but I still want to know where should I start.

Should I start making my own assets or learning the Blueprint system in UE4? And since I'm a noob to all of this, I'll definitely get confused if I do a lot at once. Now please don't tell me to not make my own game 'cause that's my dream and instead answer the question above.

Thanks! :)

Good luck is all I will say.

My Gaming Rig;  Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Hero | CPU - Intel i5 4670k @4.5Ghz 1.25v | GPU - GIGABYTE GTX 980 @Stock | RAM -  16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866Mhz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i | Storage #1 - Samsung 840 Basic 250GB SSD | Storage #2 - Sandisk II 480GB SSD | Storage #3 - 2TB 7200rpm 64mb HDDPSU - Corsair HX750 | Case - Fractal Design R4 |

Assets is near the end of the pipeline. You want to make the groundwork first. So blueprints in UE4 Is a must. UE4 has a huge library of assets so just try to use them and you can modify them to not look like unreal tournament.

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

SNIP

Thanks, got my bearings, shall start work from this weekend, 'cuz studies are first.

CPU: i5 4690K @ Stock                GPU: Asus GTX 970 STRIX @ Stock      SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB (OS and Drivers)     Headset: Audio-Technica M20X

Case: Corsair Obsidian 250D        RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB LP             HDD: WD Caviar Black 2TB                                         Mouse: Logitech m185

OS: Windows 8.1 OEM                 PSU: Corsair RM650                                Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97N Mini ITX                         Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K65 RGB

if you have no clue about programming a good point to start is AntMe.

also if you have a dream about something im not gonna tell you not to do it. those big dreams are the only thing driving me forward. but for this thread a good start would be telling us where you stand knowhow wise. i mean 13 is a little young but hey if you are serious about this and start know with baby steps you could be great when it the year of your first application letter.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Hello Forum,

Thanks! smile.png

Best of luck to you.

I'd probably start off with making a small test map, and probably 2 characters, and then weapons, then add in the code to be able to shoot. After that, maybe test it with a demo server running on your pc, then have someone else connect to it and try it out. If you know people into web programming/creating APIs you should get them to help you with the server side of things.

Looking forward to seeing a demo in a several months' time ^_^

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Start by creating a game design document so that the scope of your project is clear. You should also try to create a minimum viable product. This is where you would create and test core features without any assets.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Now please don't tell me to not make my own game 'cause that's my dream and instead answer the question above.

No one here is going to tell you not to make a game, but if your project is basically impossible to realize they will try to bring you back to the ground.

Should I start making my own assets or learning the Blueprint system in UE4?

If you want to make a game the most important thing is programming, you can make a game just programming knowledge and basically no modelling skill but not the opposite.

Start learning Blueprint, use placeholders (I'm sure you've heard the term "programmer art" before, we tend to use whatever we can make/find in the least amount of time and then change them later) then after you have everything working correctly you can start learning 3d modelling.

Have fun, and good luck :)