64bit... or 32bit...

Epicpwn343

So my prebuilt pc has ALMOST every part compatible for 64-bit, EXCEPT the all important cpu. 

Should i get a new CPU and run 64bit or should i just let it chill and do nothing. 

If your prebuilt has a 32 bit CPU, you need to throw it out the window and buy a computer from this decade

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

If your prebuilt has a 32 bit CPU, you need to throw it out the window and buy a computer from this decade

from this century*

Lol dat 4Gb RAM

CPU: i7 4790k 4.6GHz @ 1.19v     GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 1590Core     RAM:16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro    SSD: Samsung 850 Evo Raid 0

Cooler: Corsair H110i GT             Case: NZXT H440 Black Windowed          1TB WDD Blue, NZXT Hue+, MSI Z97S SLI Krait, Asus VX347H x2

So my prebuilt pc has ALMOST every part compatible for 64-bit, EXCEPT the all important cpu. 

Should i get a new CPU and run 64bit or should i just let it chill and do nothing. 

Get a CPU. 32bit CPU's are old as hell.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

from this century*

I was going to say that (actually I was going to use millennium since right now it's the same thing) but there were 32 bit CPUs in 2001

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Are you sure you just aren't using a 32 bit windows? 

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

I've found out something very interesting, my old laptop used to be 32bit but once I installed 64bit Windows 10 (via bootable USB), it converted to a 64bit OS. Just thought I should share, you may want to give it a go.

I've found out something very interesting, my old laptop used to be 32bit but once I installed 64bit Windows 10 (via bootable USB), it converted to a 64bit OS. Just thought I should share, you may want to give it a go.

Then the laptop was never 32 bit.  You just had 32 bit windows installed for some reason

Others have made it obvious that you should buy a 64 bit processor, so that's clear. But just make sure that when you do so, you find a 64 bit processor that has the same socket type (not sure exactly what cpu/brand/socket you currently have on that prebuilt)

from this century*

True

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Then the laptop was never 32 bit.  You just had 32 bit windows installed for some reason

Hmmm, you may be right. 

I was going to say that (actually I was going to use millennium since right now it's the same thing) but there were 32 bit CPUs in 2001

athlon 64 (which off the top of my head is the first 64bit one) was launched in 2003

for a while it was common practisce to install 32-bit OSes on 64-bit compatible machines, because we didnt have the means of more than 4GB ram either way, and there was nothing in the end user space that made use of the 64-bit space.

even today a lot of software still isnt 64-bit. truth is a lot of it doesnt need to be. 64-bit OSes only happened because of the 4GB thing.

athlon 64 (which off the top of my head is the first 64bit one) was launched in 2003

could be actually, I know the dual core version was 2006 or so and that was 64 bit... good call :)

even today a lot of software still isnt 64-bit. truth is a lot of it doesnt need to be. 64-bit OSes only happened because of the 4GB thing.

I know.  I ran 32 bit Win XP on my 3800+.  Still bothered me though :D

could be actually, I know the dual core version was 2006 or so and that was 64 bit... good call :)

I know.  I ran 32 bit Win XP on my 3800+.  Still bothered me though :D

i should actually do some testing on my athlon 64 to see how it compares in speed between 32 bit and 64 bit OS.

i dont have a working OS on it either way, since winderk refuses to validate my windows server key after a reinstall (install was beyond corrupt after the exact same machine caught fire about 1.5 year ago)

Others have made it obvious that you should buy a 64 bit processor, so that's clear. But just make sure that when you do so, you find a 64 bit processor that has the same socket type (not sure exactly what cpu/brand/socket you currently have on that prebuilt)

actually, that may be more of a problem than you think.

i had a -hardware compatible- 64 bit machine with a 32 bit OS.

it ran mostly fine for the state of broken it was in, but in my testing i've noticed the machine ran considerably hotter on a 64-bit OS, than it did on a 32-bit OS.

and thats not processor, thats motherboard component temps.

What CPU are you currently using that's 32-bit only?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

i should actually do some testing on my athlon 64 to see how it compares in speed between 32 bit and 64 bit OS.

i dont have a working OS on it either way, since winderk refuses to validate my windows server key after a reinstall (install was beyond corrupt after the exact same machine caught fire about 1.5 year ago)

Apparently (too young to have first hand experience, but I've heard) the switch from 16 to 32 bit caused noticeable performance issues while "thunking" (running 16 bit stuff on 32 bit) but afaik there is virtually no measurable performance difference for 32 to 64, or at least it's so little these days no one would care.

Apparently (too young to have first hand experience, but I've heard) the switch from 16 to 32 bit caused noticeable performance issues while "thunking" (running 16 bit stuff on 32 bit) but afaik there is virtually no measurable performance difference for 32 to 64, or at least it's so little these days no one would care.

i have a 1995 win98 machine (possibly orginally a win3.1 no one really remembers, its from before company inventorizing was required), and let me tell you that from my experience with the box's guts, no one really cared about any form of optimization like we do today...

i have a 1995 win98 machine (possibly orginally a win3.1 no one really remembers, its from before company inventorizing was required), and let me tell you that from my experience with the box's guts, no one really cared about any form of optimization like we do today...

Interesting; I've generally gotten the opposite impression over the years - that optimization and efficiency were taken seriously back in the day, but as hardware advanced, people have gotten lazy.

Interesting; I've generally gotten the opposite impression over the years - that optimization and efficiency were taken seriously back in the day, but as hardware advanced, people have gotten lazy.

i had connectors criss-crossing over other connectors, wires stuffed in the cpu fan, underclocked, a god awful efficiency power supply, etc.

the software situation on the thing was quite horrid as well... might just be bad IT management, but i am honestly surprised i didnt need to reinstall the box (which i'm pretty sure i did at some point...)

i had connectors criss-crossing over other connectors, wires stuffed in the cpu fan, underclocked, a god awful efficiency power supply, etc.

Oh, ewll yes of course computers today are vastly better cable managed and more spacious :)  I was thinking more the software/programming side of things

Oh, ewll yes of course computers today are vastly better cable managed and more spacious :)  I was thinking more the software/programming side of things

eh.. half of the stuff going on on the box was batchfiles talking to other batchfiles talking to a remote server answering to more batchfiles...