NVIDIA should be chosen over AMD on slower CPU's (Opinion)

LokiFire

Seeing my FPS rise in CSGO purely by adding an NVIDIA GPU proves my point, my 7770 was never maxed out in CSGO yet would notably hit under 90FPS a lot and hit 160FPS as it's highest, now my game with a 580 which is also not even using 50% GPU maxed settings is hitting north of 270FPS as the maximum and hitting 120 lowest.

The only deciding factor here is NVIDIA's superior made drivers which are multithreaded vs AMD's single threaded drivers with high CPU overhead.

On say a i5 or i7 PC this will not matter much unless we are talking Lynnfield or Bloomfield chips where high end 390 /980 is being considered.

Here is some info from Digital Foundry.

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

I don't know, maybe we're comparing an R7 250 against something around a 280

Please read properly.

Edited by MG2R
Edited quote

Just to point out. The driver with the performance fix for AMD in FO4 came out it in 17 Nov. That video was uploaded in 12 Nov. 

What you're seeing is the performance that AMD has not optimized for. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Please read properly.

I did.

Just to point out. The driver with the performance fix for AMD in FO4 came out it in 17 Nov. That video was uploaded in 12 Nov. 

this

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

I would love to know how i gained any FPS whilst being CPU limited with both GPU's by my Phenom then.

I would love to know how i gained any FPS whilst being CPU limited with both GPU's by my Phenom then.

Bruh that's a freaking 580. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

1, a 580 and 7770 are very far apart in performance already so of course the 580 will perform a lot better

2. a 750 ti will perform better then a r7 360 because its the superior card, put it against a 360x and then its a different story

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

you compared an r7 250 to a gtx 580, that's how you gained fps

Bruh that's a freaking 580. 

Ok, so 7770 limited at 60-70% GPU vs 580 limited to 45-50% .

1, a 580 and 7770 are very far apart in performance already so of course the 580 will perform a lot better

2. a 750 ti will perform better then a r7 360 because its the superior card, put it against a 360x and then its a different story

this

Unless you give me at game that has full AMD driver support at the time then I won't consider the results useful.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

This makes zero sense, sure the cards miles faster, it's not even funny, it's around 7950 performance, but it sure as hell is not working how it should because my CPU limits it just like the 7770, yet i gained frames? it makes NO SENSE, it would if the 7770 was maxing out, that's the limit of the 7770 hit.

Unless you give me at game that has full AMD driver support at the time then I won't consider the results useful.

Star Wars Battlefront ;)

Oh wait, AMD dominates that game..

I used to be quite active here.

This makes zero sense, sure the cards miles faster, it's not even funny, it's around 7950 performance, but it sure as hell is not working how it should because my CPU limits it just like the 7770, yet i gained frames? it makes NO SENSE, it would if the 7770 was maxing out, that's the limit of the 7770 hit.

no, 580 simply has more SPs than a 7770 

Therefore the GPU will have less usage, it simple.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Ok, so 7770 limited at 60-70% GPU vs 580 limited to 45-50% .

GPU usage works differently for cards with different architectures. 

Oh and you might wanna check if your 7770 is downclocking itself along side that fluctuating usage.

Do you have Dota 2? What is your FPS in Dota 2 with max in-game setting@1080p?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

GPU usage works differently for cards with different architectures. 

Oh and you might wanna check if your 7770 is downclocking itself along side that fluctuating usage.

Card died unfortunately or i would still be using it until ZEN comes, but it was OC'd to 1250mhz, it never once downclocked.

Do you have Dota 2? What is your FPS in Dota 2 with max in-game setting@1080p?

I don't, but i suppose i could download it.

Card died unfortunately or i would still be using it until ZEN comes, but it was OC'd to 1250mhz, it never once downclocked.

Did you have powerplay on? Or ULPS?

Did you have powerplay on? Or ULPS?

I disabled it in MSI AB when messing about, i do remember it as i had to restart my PC choosing it.

The card hit high temps a lot for what you would think is a cool running GPU, my 580 stomps it thermally speaking and this once WC'd card is on air.

I don't, but i suppose i could download it.

That'll be great, i don't have CS:GO to compare.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

I disabled it in MSI AB when messing about, i do remember it as i had to restart my PC choosing it.

The card hit high temps a lot for what you would think is a cool running GPU, my 580 stomps it thermally speaking and this once WC'd card is on air.

Ah. AB. It would downclock my GPU whenever it doesn't hit above 95% even with ULPS or Powerplay turned off. Sapphire Trixx didn't have this problem.

Ah. AB. It would downclock my GPU whenever it doesn't hit above 95% even with ULPS or Powerplay turned off. Sapphire Trixx didn't have this problem.

If you ever need something to keep the clock steady on certain games or applications. 

Get it here. http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=404465