Is it wrong to buy something and then return it just for review?

Jacktastic-Mofo

she doesn't even look related to you...you look like a white boy..and she looks latino

We're related, she just likes to tan and play with makeup.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

I say go for it. Just think of it this way. The company might not be getting direct money if you return it, but they get free advertisement. If you feel bad for the individual store you bought it from, give them a shoutout in the video. I'd like to see you do more videos. I watched the $150 build video, and your very good at youtube.

Giving your local branch of a national retailer chain a "shoutout" does nothing to make up for the loss in time/money from a returned product, lmao.

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

Wow pimping your older sister to a ring of BestBuy customer service employees, with the intent to increase the popularity of your upcoming YouTube channel, that's a new one.

A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

I do it if I see hardware parts in lazada that has a 7-day satisfaction guarantee.

If you're alright with stealing time and money from stores, then by all means it's completely possible to do.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Oh man. This thread is going places. Now if only all threads went like this the world would be a better place.

I don't think Best Buy is the worlds best place to get parts from. A place that comes to mind would be Micro Center, I know there are other tech stores, but that's just one that came to mind. 

Do you even fanboy bro?

Yeah, going to bestbuy for stuff like GPU's. and then wally world for full PC's and then just gonna take the CPU's out to benchmark.

Okay, taking CPUs out of pre-built store-bought computers is very much over the line. Voiding the warranty and ruining any possibility of the store re-selling the product.

Plus, you'd need motherboards for each of the individual socket types to benchmark anyway.

Just buying a cool gadget to review, then returning it is one thing, tearing down pre-built PCs is another. They likely wouldn't even accept that return. No.

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

Oh man. This thread is going places. Now if only all threads went like this the world would be a better place.

I don't think Best Buy is the worlds best place to get parts from. A place that comes to mind would be Micro Center, I know there are other tech stores, but that's just one that came to mind. 

The closest Microcenter is about 45 minutes away and there are like three bestbuys all within 20 minutes from me.

You know, everyone says they will catch on pretty quick, but who cares? He can still get away with it atleast once or twice, anything helps when your first starting your channel.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

no

I do this all the time to diagnose hardware problems

No wonder all the stuff from best buy looks opened....jerk ! :D j/k

Yeah, going to bestbuy for stuff like GPU's. and then wally world for full PC's and then just gonna take the CPU's out to benchmark.

You don't need to benchmark. Just discuss what you know/learn from others and make your channel a place where everyone else's knowledge is combined and filtered through to provide the quality knowledge in bulk and with explanations, pcpartpicker's where the knowledge is used to make hypothetical part lists, etc.

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

You don't need to benchmark. Just discuss what you know/learn from others and make your channel a place where everyone else's knowledge is combined and filtered through to provide the quality knowledge in bulk and with explanations, pcpartpicker's where the knowledge is used to make hypothetical part lists, etc.

The thing is hypothetical part lists can only go so far.

Instead of being scummy I would resell as used.  You should be able to get most of your money back.

Or just review stuff you've already got and can borrow from friends.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

The thing is hypothetical part lists can only go so far.

Well what you are talking of doing is essentially fraud which can not even go so far...

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

Instead of being scummy I would resell as used.  You should be able to get most of your money back.

Well I've got everything from a 640, 710, 7750, 750ti, 760, 960, and 980ti to review just by borrowing stuff from friends / relatives- but in the future as new stuff releases I'm gonna need more stuff to review until I make more money from my actual job.

Well what you are talking of doing is essentially fraud which can not even go so far...

How is it fraud? I'm buying something that is not one time use and then returning it, and eventually someone else will buy it and reuse it.

Yes and no.

Doing so is meh on the ethical side but not entirely bad.

However you can make other people decide not to buy it or buy it and not return it by reviewing the product, in the end using the influence of your review to actually reduce the amount of possible returns because they had a clear image of the product thanks to the review.

It's not all black and white.

The closest Microcenter is about 45 minutes away and there are like three bestbuys all within 20 minutes from me.

Even still. Every time I walk into my local Microcenter it's like a nerds heaven. 

Also some suggestions, a dedicated test bench, like Linus/Luke has.would make your results a lot more 'valid" and professional. 

Do you even fanboy bro?

This and buy things used then resell them.

I have worked in retail on the weekends for a year, we know exactly who does this kind of stuff and we despise you and talk shit about you for 10 minutes once you leave.

Even still. Every time I walk into my local Microcenter it's like a nerds heaven. 

Also some suggestions, a dedicated test bench, like Linus/Luke has.would make your results a lot more 'valid" and professional. 

I know, I'm working on it- walking to my local MC would take like 11 hours.

This and buy things used then resell them.

I have worked in retail on the weekends for a year, we know exactly who does this kind of stuff and we despise you and talk shit about you for 10 minutes once you leave.

Well, that'll teach them. :P just deny to sell then.

I know, I'm working on it- walking to my local MC would take like 11 hours.

Good cardio.