i7 4790k Water cooler high temperatures

Wu_david

(i have already made a thread about this but i was not gettting enough replies)

Hi, I recently built my new computer, however currently i found that my i7 4790k is reaching 100c in renderings such as blender, i am currently using a integrated gpu in my cpu because

my display only supports vga and i am soon picking up a dvi to vga adapter so that i can use my gpu instead. How can i fix my temps, is it cus of the integrated gpu.

EDIT: i have now tried to use the r9 280 and the temps are basically identical, i am barely overclocking the cpu as it is only going up to 4.5ghz as opposed to the 4.4ghz boost clock. How can i fix this issue??? 

Specs:

Cpu: i7 4790k

Gpu: r9 280 gigabyte windforce (currently not using due to display)

Case nzxt h440

Cooler: Cooler master seidon 120v PLUS (remember, the fan is much more quieter on the 120v plus, it is also more efficient).

-SNIP-

As before was it overclocked at all, and if so to what degree, since after remounting it was still giving high load temps.

before it was also overclocked at 4.5ghz, but i doubt the overclock increases the temperatures

before it was also overclocked at 4.5ghz, but i doubt the overclock increases the temperatures

Overclocking affects temps directly, so it would have an affect, what voltages is your overclock running at?

wow you must not know much about overclocking if you say that.

also try getting some real thermal paste like arctic silver v or ic diamond, coolermaster may have put a bad application on your cooler.

Yeah, first thing I'd try is swap out the thermal paste and make sure the cooler is actually running properly.

CPU - Intel i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 (Rev 2.0) | RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB (2x8) DDR3-1866 | Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD | Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 980ti SC | Case - Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) | PSU - EVGA 750W B2 | Display - Acer K272HUL | Keyboard - E-Element RGB | Mouse - Logitech g502 | Sound - Klipsch ProMedia 2.1/Fostex TH-x00/Sennheiser HD595

i do know much about overclocking, what i meant to say is the 100mhz of overclock shouldnt afffect my cpu too much because i did not apply any extra votage to it, everything else is running at stock. (im not saying overclocking in general didnt affect cpu temps)

wow you must not know much about overclocking if you say that.

also try getting some real thermal paste like arctic silver v or ic diamond, coolermaster may have put a bad application on your cooler.

i used arctic mx and im saying that my current overclock of 100mhz does not affect the cpu as much.

i do know much about overclocking, what i meant to say is the 100mhz of overclock shouldnt afffect my cpu too much because i did not apply any extra votage to it, everything else is running at stock. (im not saying overclocking in general didnt affect cpu temps)

You applied a 500Mhz overclock to all cores not a 100Mhz since at 4.4Ghz turbo boost isn't on all cores, even with that though you temps are a fair bit high with no voltage increase. It really sounds like a bad mount like before tbh since the temps shouldn't get that hot on a 120mm cooler, try running a stress test like Adia 64 and see what happens.

i used arctic mx and im saying that my current overclock of 100mhz does not affect the cpu as much.

remember, thats 100mhz over the boost not the stock clock. the boost is not what your cpu runs at while idling. now with this oc your cpu will prob run at 4.6 idling.

like w-l said you probably mounted or applied the thermal paste wrong. 

also silicon lottery can really affect things like this your cpu might be a bad oc'er and your oc might be overheating it. etc.

remember, thats 100mhz over the boost not the stock clock. the boost is not what your cpu runs at while idling. now with this oc your cpu will prob run at 4.6 idling.

also silicon lottery can really affect things like this your cpu might be a bad oc'er and your oc might be overheating it. etc.

i didnt mount it wrong, and also while idling (if u didnt know this) i am still running at like 0.95ghz speed, only when i am loading the cpu then the speed goes up to like 4.5 or so.

Umm... does the 4790K boost all 4 cores to 4.4?  When I was overclocking it would boost to 4.2 on all cores before I OC to 4.5...

Computer: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZczbWZ ~$950

Computer w/ Peripherals: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/mZNNnQ ~$1650

Case: Blue s340 painted black CPU: 4790K OC to 4.5MHz Cooler: Dark Rock 3 GPU: Powercolor R9-290 MOBO: z97 MSI Gaming 5 RAM: Fury HyperX 2x8GB 1866Mhz PSU: Corsair rm750x Storage: 250GB 850 EVO & 1TB WD Black HeadPhones: HD598 SE Speakers: MAckie CR4 SE Keyboard: K70 Cherry-Brown Mouse: G9x Fans: Prolimatech Vortex 140mm

boost all 4 cores to 4.4, and also start a new thread for that :D

Umm... does the 4790K boost all 4 cores to 4.4?  When I was overclocking it would boost to 4.2 on all cores before I OC to 4.5...

boost all 4 cores to 4.4, and also start a new thread for that :D

Here Pudget tested this before and not all cores will boost to the max rated speeds only what it is capable of of the 4.4Ghz max is based on single core turbo:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/blog/2015/07/09/Actual-CPU-Speeds---What-You-See-Is-Not-Always-What-You-Get-675/

mine boosts to 4.4ghz all cores when rendering with out the oc

(i have already made a thread about this but i was not gettting enough replies)

Hi, I recently built my new computer, however currently i found that my i7 4790k is reaching 100c in renderings such as blender, i am currently using a integrated gpu in my cpu because

my display only supports vga and i am soon picking up a dvi to vga adapter so that i can use my gpu instead. How can i fix my temps, is it cus of the integrated gpu.

EDIT: i have now tried to use the r9 280 and the temps are basically identical, i am barely overclocking the cpu as it is only going up to 4.5ghz as opposed to the 4.4ghz boost clock. How can i fix this issue??? 

Specs:

Cpu: i7 4790k

Gpu: r9 280 gigabyte windforce (currently not using due to display)

Case nzxt h440

Cooler: Cooler master seidon 120v PLUS (remember, the fan is much more quieter on the 120v plus, it is also more efficient).

woa. 100*c is stupid high even on blender. how does it idle? is it within 10*c of ambient? also, is the increase to 100*c gradual, or a sudden jump within half a minute? if the jump to boiling point is that fast, it may be a cooler contact issue which you seem to be confident that its not, or the water pump is totally dead leading to no water being moved to the radiator.

while your pc is still on, touch the pump. you should be able to feel the vibration even if you cant hear it. if totally nothing, your seidon is dead.

if your seidon is alive, consider resetting your overclocks. voltage is the major cause of increased temps, increase in clock speeds not as much. you may not think 100mhz should not increase temps that much, but its a good idea to isolate any potential causes of the thermal increase.

woa. 100*c is stupid high even on blender. how does it idle? is it within 10*c of ambient? also, is the increase to 100*c gradual, or a sudden jump within half a minute? if the jump to boiling point is that fast, it may be a cooler contact issue which you seem to be confident that its not, or the water pump is totally dead leading to no water being moved to the radiator.

while your pc is still on, touch the pump. you should be able to feel the vibration even if you cant hear it. if totally nothing, your seidon is dead.

if your seidon is alive, consider resetting your overclocks. voltage is the major cause of increased temps, increase in clock speeds not as much. you may not think 100mhz should not increase temps that much, but its a good idea to isolate any potential causes of the thermal increase.

it idles fine, i can feel the vibration on the cooler pmp and also the overclock from 4.4 to 4.5 is basically nothing, thats even tested for those who dont agree with me.

it idles fine, i can feel the vibration on the cooler pmp and also the overclock from 4.4 to 4.5 is basically nothing, thats even tested for those who dont agree with me.

Have you undo the overclock? I checked your other post, and i dont see it mentioned. Have you tried the standard hsf as well? Thats not mentioned either.

If you dont want to, then so be it. No means to isolate fault to either the cooler or the cpu/oc will basically mean no one can give you any good advice on how to proceed, except maybe to consult with a professional repair man. If you dont want to do that either, well. Im out.

i dont mean to be a dick but with everything youve said and how you refuse to reduce your oc or show proof that your temps are even that high so youre most likely a troll so im hoping everyone stops responding.

i dont mean to be a dick but with everything youve said and how you refuse to reduce your oc or show proof that your temps are even that high so youre most likely a troll so im hoping everyone stops responding.

i swear to god im not trolling, i reduced the oc and still same temps, but luckily i realized that my cpu was running at 1.35v when running the benchmarks so currently im trying to turn it down

i swear to god im not trolling, i reduced the oc and still same temps, but luckily i realized that my cpu was running at 1.35v when running the benchmarks so currently im trying to turn it down

Well yeah with those voltages that's more expected, if your stress testing be sure not to use programs like prime 95 since they can overbuilt the CPU.