Software and parts for diy router/NAS

Jackpot17

Recently, I have been thinking about building a custom router using a PC, nothing too fancy. I've seen a few videos and I think it would be awesome to have a router that I could also use as a NAS. I know there are routers which can do this but I would like something with a little more customisation. I have lots of films and music that I would like to store on it. So my question is, what kind of software can I use to do this? I know of freeNAS and pfsense, do these run separately on the same machine? Any recommendations on hardware such as a motherboard and CPU would be nice aswell, many thanks.

It would be better to keep them separate. You can use pfsense as the router os, or get an edgerouter lite, which is quite similar, but less expensive.

My native language is C++

Recently, I have been thinking about building a custom router using a PC, nothing too fancy. I've seen a few videos and I think it would be awesome to have a router that I could also use as a NAS. I know there are routers which can do this but I would like something with a little more customisation. I have lots of films and music that I would like to store on it. So my question is, what kind of software can I use to do this? I know of freeNAS and pfsense, do these run separately on the same machine? Any recommendations on hardware such as a motherboard and CPU would be nice aswell, many thanks.

you could put them in seperate VM's

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Putting your router and your NAS on the same hardware is BAD joojoo. Especially if you're going to use something like FreeNAS.

Get an edgerouter and build a NAS.

It would be better to keep them separate. You can use pfsense as the router os, or get an edgerouter lite, which is quite similar, but less expensive.

Is this the kind of thing?

http://bit.ly/1Ydu6k9

Or you could get an Apple TimeMachine

ESXi SysAdmin

I have more cores/threads than you...and I use them all

Or you could get an Apple TimeMachine

I'd rather not use any of Apple's products when networking because I'd like a lot more customizability and something I can tinker with.

I'd rather not use any of Apple's products when networking because I'd like a lot more customizability and something I can tinker with.

finally, a person who gives a reason for not wanting to use an apple product! You, Sir, have given me a glimmer of hope.

cool beans. Like other people have been saying, buy/build a router, build a NAS. 

ESXi SysAdmin

finally, a person who gives a reason for not wanting to use an apple product! You, Sir, have given me a glimmer of hope.

cool beans. Like other people have been saying, buy/build a router, build a NAS. 

Haha no problem, thanks.

What kind of specs would I need for a NAS. Does it need to be fairly powerful or not? Would I need to use specific hardware? It would be awesome if anyone had a parts list for one. Bearing in mind I wouldn't want to spend any more than around $500 excluding drives.

They don't need to be super powerful. If you look on the Western Digital website, their professional grade NAS hardware use just a 1.7 GHz Intel Atom CPU

ESXi SysAdmin

They don't need to be super powerful. If you look on the Western Digital website, their professional grade NAS hardware use just a 1.7 GHz Intel Atom CPU

Haha wow

Haha wow

yeah, seriously. if there were SATA backplanes in the slots, you could LITERALLY run it on a toaster  :D

ESXi SysAdmin

BUILD IDEA. IM GONNA BUILD A FUCKING TOASTER NAS.

ESXi SysAdmin

Thats the edgerouter x. You are looking fo the edgerouter lite.

What's the difference?

Could pick up a WatchGuard XTM 520 or similar off ebay and load Pfsense on it. I got mine from work but seen some in the 100$ range Plenty of ports and Customization even for a real tinkerer.