what is the minimum PCI-E connection needed for modern GPUs

munchflo
Go to solution Solved by Altecice,

AMD = PCI-E 2.0 X4 (Crossfire)

Nvidia = PCI-E 2.0 X8 (SLI)

Hi LTT-Forum,

Im a long time viewer and recently got inspired by the "8Core under 150€"-video to also build a cheap gaming system with old server hardware.

I found that there are sometimes cheap dual lga1366 mainboards and many 4 core xeons for under 20€ each on ebay. So even better than Linus's video.

As GPU i wanted to buy a used hd7950 or hd7970 BUT there is one problem: the old xeon boards dont have a PCI-E 3.0 x16 slot, they only have a PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot (some even with only 8x wired)

So my question is: what is the minimum PCI-E connection required for modern graphiscards?

Is PCI-E 2.0 x16 enough? (I think so)

Is PCI-E 2.0 x8 enough? (I dont know)

Btw if anyone is intrested: the specific board I found for cheap is a "Intel S5520HC" and I'll probably be using 2 "Xeon E5530" (4 Core, 2.4GHz, HT) with that.

Do you think I will get Win10 runnning with that or do I have to stick with Win 7?

Thanks!!

PS: I might do a build log if possible :)

PCIe2 16 is definately enough, since there is very little to no loss of video in PCIe3 8 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

2.0 4x is enough

but nvidia cards won't work in SLI unless they have 8X

i would go with 2.0 8x just to be safe

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

honestly, i dont think under any scenario you'll find you'll run into issues, if its not an error in the game code. (like sending the entire texture catalog from ram to vram every frame)

both nvidia and amd have their limits tho, afaik they dont test for pcie generatio, but nvidia requires the card to be in at least an 8x slot, and amd in a 4x slot.

AMD = PCI-E 2.0 X4 (Crossfire)

Nvidia = PCI-E 2.0 X8 (SLI)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)