Music makes popping noise! And other apps make music sound quieter at times!

Hey friends,

I have 2 problems I need to address. 

1. A while ago my PC randomly reset all my audio settings such as EQ. Not sure why, but I went through it all again and it all seems normal. However, when I am playing music and have a game or something open, the music sometimes goes quiet. It's not the setting in Windows for communication programs to make everything quiet, because I have checked that and it is set to do nothing.

Only when something else loud happens in another program it happens. I am running a Creative Soundblaster sound card!!!

2. I have also started hearing some popping from my headphones. I am using a reasonable amp, I don't think it is a lack of power because it was fine before hand.

It isn't too bad, but enough to annoy me. 

I honestly don't know what is going on, and I have asked all my mates and no one really understand what I am saying.

I hope the screenshots of my Soundblaster settings helps!!!

Cheers guys!

post-8637-0-29357700-1450083840.png

post-8637-0-64135800-1450083854.png

post-8637-0-45724600-1450083870.png

post-8637-0-35153700-1450083881.png

post-8637-0-62906500-1450083904.png

post-8637-0-11028600-1450083915.png

post-8637-0-10425800-1450083927.png

post-8637-0-67704300-1450083938.png

Your soundcard might limit itself from overdriving the output and scale everything down. But thats just a wild guess. If you can provoke something extremly loud and see if this dampening phenomenon appears everytime when you provoke it I would say you have found Option number one.

And the popping could be your headphones dying. How long do you have those?

1. Is due to a setting in the windows audio settings to quiten when using voice comms. You can disable it.

2. Almost always caused by exceptionally high dpc latency. Get the teater to confirm and then track down which device driver is causing the issue and remove it or update it

Your soundcard might limit itself from overdriving the output and scale everything down. But thats just a wild guess. If you can provoke something extremly loud and see if this dampening phenomenon appears everytime when you provoke it I would say you have found Option number one.

And the popping could be your headphones dying. How long do you have those?

I have had the headphones for at least 6 months. They should be fine, don't think they would be on their way.

1. Is due to a setting in the windows audio settings to quiten when using voice comms. You can disable it.

2. Almost always caused by exceptionally high dpc latency. Get the teater to confirm and then track down which device driver is causing the issue and remove it or update it

That sounds like it could be it. How do I go about doing this?

That sounds like it could be it. How do I go about doing this?

1. Right click on the sound icon in the tool bar and click playback devices, then in the dialog that appears click communication and you will see the reduction.

2. The program is called DPC latency, run it and it will tell you if you have a problem. Solving it is trickier but at least you would know there is a driver causing issues somewhere.