eGPU with USB 3.0

Mattsoup

I have a laptop that I absolutely love for work and leisure, but integrated graphics don't quite cut it when it comes to games.  I don't have a thunderbolt connection or express card so this is my only option.

If I remember correctly it wont work up to par because USB 3 cannot transfer nearly as much data as Thunderbolt.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

cough buy a laptop cough

I don't know any connectors for USB 3.0 but it will bottle neck any GPU you get.

But in the end its still better than integrated CPU graphics

COUGTH COUGTH buy a laptop! COUGTH

Wow this was old as heck, Need to update this signature!

cough buy a laptop cough

I don't know any connectors for USB 3.0 but it will bottle neck any GPU you get.

But in the end its still better than integrated CPU graphics

COUGTH COUGTH buy a laptop! COUGTH

I'm a college student taking 21 credit hours.  I don't have the time to get a job to make the money to get a new laptop.  That's why I'm looking into cheaper solutions.  I love my laptop anyway, I'd hate to give up 5 hour battery life, which is why I want an external GPU

Bangggood offers an adapter with which you can connect a discrete GPU to your Laptop through the Mini PCI-e slot- normally where the wireless card sits.

You might also have to invest in an ATX power supply, but since it's just for the graphics card, a super budget-end power supply (but not something sketchy) should be more than enough. If you get something like a GTX 750 TI (not the FTW edition, mind you), you should be able to power it off the included adapter, due to its low power draw.

I'm a college student taking 21 credit hours.  I don't have the time to get a job to make the money to get a new laptop.  That's why I'm looking into cheaper solutions.  I love my laptop anyway, I'd hate to give up 5 hour battery life, which is why I want an external GPU

Well dam I cant help you in that area of external GPUS, But someone else must have a solution to your problem

Wow this was old as heck, Need to update this signature!

You can't compare the two. Integrated graphics using system RAM is still significantly faster than USB 3.0.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Bangggood offers an adapter with which you can connect a discrete GPU to your Laptop through the Mini PCI-e slot- normally where the wireless card sits.

You might also have to invest in an ATX power supply, but since it's just for the graphics card, 300-430 watts should be more than enough.

Getting the power supply is easy enough, my family owns a computer repair place and I can steal one off a dead pc.  The problem is that I don't have the slot

Wait... what?

The speed of a connection =/= the quality of graphics processing...

Wait, is the USB connection the GPU?

Newegg's having a christmas sale right now, wait and you could snag a GTX 950M laptop for about 600 bucks

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

I have a laptop that I absolutely love for work and leisure, but integrated graphics don't quite cut it when it comes to games.  I don't have a thunderbolt connection or express card so this is my only option.

Follow your topics!

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Wait... what?

The speed of a connection =/= the quality of graphics processing...

Wait, is the USB connection the GPU?

Yes.  I don't know USB 3.0 speeds so I threw out the question to those "in the know"

USB 3 5 Gbit/s

Thunderbolt 40 Gbit/s

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Let me re-write the question

Would using a GPU over usb 3.0 be better than using a laptops integrated graphics

No.

Getting the power supply is easy enough, my family owns a computer repair place and I can steal one off a dead pc.  The problem is that I don't have the slot

You don't have a Mini PCI-e slot? Do you mean to say the wireless card is soldered to the motherboard, then?

If it helps, it's usually located around the back, so you'll have to open it up.

If you have an older laptop, you might find an ExpressCard slot. The new edition of the eGPU solution I mentioned can also connect to those.

Also, it would help if you could tell us the model number of the laptop.

You don't have a Mini PCI-e slot? Do you mean to say the wireless card is soldered to the motherboard, then?

If it helps, it's usually located around the back, so you'll have to open it up.

If you have an older laptop, you might find an ExpressCard slot. The new edition of the eGPU solution I mentioned can also connect to those.

Also, it would help if you could tell us the model number of the laptop.

It's a thinkpad T440 with 8gb ram, 64 bit, and hd 5500 integrated graphics.  I don't want to replace the wireless card because I use the laptop every day for school

It's a thinkpad T440 with 8gb ram, 64 bit, and hd 5500 integrated graphics.  I don't want to replace the wireless card because I use the laptop every day for school

You know, you can put it back once you're done gaming. If you want to game and use the internet at once or play an MMO, you could pop in an ethernet cable.

Why not open it up and have a look? With any luck, you may have two. From the fact that this YouTube user installed a Mini PCI-e SSD in his Thinkpad T420 without having to remove anything, you might have a similar advantage.

You know, you can put it back once you're done gaming. If you want to game and use the internet at once or play an MMO, you could pop in an ethernet cable.

Why not open it up and have a look? With any luck, you may have two. From the fact that this YouTube user installed a Mini PCI-e SSD in his Thinkpad T420 without having to remove anything, you might have a similar advantage.

It actually took me a minute to reply because I was opening my machine.  It's a total bitch to open the case.  I only have one PCI and swapping out the parts isn't an option because of the aforementioned case problem.

It actually took me a minute to reply because I was opening my machine.  It's a total bitch to open the case.  I only have one PCI and swapping out the parts isn't an option because of the aforementioned case problem.

Well, if you want to use this very laptop, you're going to have to live with it.

If you want to hook up an eGPU to your laptop (which has no thunderbolt ports), this is the only way. I haven't yet heard of an external GPU adapter/enclosure that connects through USB 3.0. Your only other options to be able to play games are either to build a desktop PC that can run them, or to buy a laptop with a capable discrete GPU.

Well, if you want to use this very laptop, you're going to have to live with it.

If you want to hook up an eGPU to your laptop (which has no thunderbolt ports), this is the only way. I haven't yet heard of an external GPU adapter/enclosure that connects through USB 3.0. Your only other options to be able to play games are either to build a desktop PC that can run them, or to buy a laptop with a capable discrete GPU.

I think I may have to part with my baby. Maybe over break I can do some craigslisting.  Thanks

• 3 years later...

You could use a USB wifi key.

I am having the exact same problem with my ideapad 530s.