Need help to build a NAS

Holewijn

Hello all,

My brother and me, wanna build a DIY NAS, we own already a synology, but we are limmited on more HDD (2max)

We're using it for streaming, downloading, so we need lots of storage, or maybe a TS server. 

I was looking for a nas what is low power cosumtion, and need a space for 6 HDD
16GB of ram for Freenas or some synology clone.

Needs to be as small as possible like it fits in a Silverstone DS380B case  Mini ITX
€300 - €350 max
Case and HDD not included.

Edit: I made this post, because i cant find/ there are a lot of builds but the most ones are old or maybe there is something better + other budget. 

Something like this? is it fast enough? for a family streaming? all in the house + Internet access? 

(only needs a psu) but don't know which one

CPU: AMD A6-5400K 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($45.98 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($47.98 @ Newegg) 
Other: SanDisk Ultra Fit ($9.00)
Total: €194.19 <- price is from my local store. 
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-11 21:27 EST-0500

Hello all,

My brother and me, wanna build a DIY NAS, we own already a synology, but we are limmited on more HDD (2max)

We're using it for streaming, downloading, so we need lots of storage, or maybe a TS server. 

Needs to be as small as possible like it fits in a Silverstone DS380B case  Mini ITX

€300 - €350 max

Edit: I made this post, because i cant find/ there are a lot of builds but the most ones are old or maybe there is something better + other budget. 

probably freenas is what you want

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Hello all,

€300 - €350 max

Nothing has changed.

If you want FreeNAS, you need ECC. For ECC, you need a server grade board with either a Xeon, an i3 or a Pentium. Otherwise get whatever motherboard/CPU you want and don't use an OS that uses ZFS.

Get as many of the best GB per dollar value drives you can afford.

Make sure it has a high quality NIC and spend the money for an 80 PLUS Platinum power supply.

What  i can read: 
ZFS is designed to protect your data, but cannot save you from poor hardware choices. ZFS works great with ECC (see cyberjock's sticky about why you really want ECC). ECC is not horribly expensive. ECC is well-supported with a Xeon CPU and a server-grade motherboard. ECC may not be well-supported on random prosumer grade boards and Pentium CPU's. If you are going to spend money on a system that's holding important data, get the right tool for the job. If your system is only dealing with backups, okay, fine, then go non-ECC if you really must

for streaming i should only use plex + my HDD wil not run in a raid mode maybe later but not in the begin maybe in the future when i need it, would run for every family member a HDD

What do they mean whit importand data? like documents and private stuff?

Could u make a pc part picker list for me? what your suggestion is? without HDD

And don't look on FreeNAS only there are other's

p.s sorry for my poor English