trying to find the source of an annoying whine

grind
Go to solution Solved by grind,

Yup, it was one of the fans, thank you guys a lot, at least I got one spare fan here to work while I try to get some better quality ones :D

wish I could like all of the posts, but unfortunately I can't lol, but still, thanks a lot :)

Also I'll take the chance to clean the pc more deeply than I usually do :v

edit: stupid me, I actually can like the posts k

Hello people, today I woke up from my first day of vacation nap with my computer making a very annoying whine.. I quickly turned it off and on again because why not, at that point I still had no idea and didn't want to open the pc.

When it restarted it was ok and after some time the whine was there again. I now decided to open it and try to hear where it was coming from.. At first I thought it was my watercooler, but still unsure.

after fiddling with it for a bit, moving cables back and forth, unplugging the fans (restarting between one thing and another) to see if I could find the source, I still had no idea. One thing I learned with this is that the noise sometimes comes and go.

Then I opened up the computer and took out the radiator. PC crashed a few times on me and then stopped booting, I took out some stuff and let in just the basics, one stick of RAM and the boot drive, it didn't crash anymore, but once it has restarted for no reason.

Anyways now with the radiator outside I was able to hear it better and yeah, I think it's the source, but now the noise won't come back.. I think it has to do with the way the cables are when mounted.. Which is really annoying cause it's a very tight fit in my case and I can't just put it in another position..

To end this, I want to know if someone can help me identify the problem, i'd be glad if the watercooler is not it because it was bought overseas so I can't send them easily (don't even know if it's still covered by warranty, it's been more than 1 year). But still I'd really want to be able to fix this, having problems with my computer the exact same day I got my vacations is not looking too pretty for me..

---

I was going to post this but as I wrote the last paragraph the noise came again and I was able to record it, I'm uploading a youtube video to show it to you.. (also the noise went away, I'm starting to think it happens in cpu intensive tasks, I'll test it after posting..

Sounds like a bearing in the fan. Try stopping them with your fingers?

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

replace your fans

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I had stopped both of them when the noise was happening and it kept going but will check again as soon as it comes back.. Also I tested with a cpu intensive task and got nothing

Yup, it was one of the fans, thank you guys a lot, at least I got one spare fan here to work while I try to get some better quality ones :D

wish I could like all of the posts, but unfortunately I can't lol, but still, thanks a lot :)

Also I'll take the chance to clean the pc more deeply than I usually do :v

edit: stupid me, I actually can like the posts k

that's not a whine, I would describe it as rattling noise - that's a bad fan

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K