Interesting Resolution Question

boardinwelts
Go to solution Solved by Enderman,

yeah it will look wrong

either the laptop screen will have black bars at the top and bottom to make it 21:9, or the laptop screen will have a horizontally squished image, or the monitor will have a stretched image, or the monitor will have black bars

if you just extend the display then it will work fine, but im almost certainly sure you will have a distorted image when mirroring

So I'm sitting here wondering what to give my dad for Christmas. My dad is always on his computer looking at spreadsheets, drawings, 3D models, etc. So what did I deem a perfect gift for him? A wide-screen monitor of course! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025038 

Now for the question. My dad uses his Dell business-class laptop for nearly all of his work. Right now, he connects that laptop to his main monitor via HDMI cable. He basically is mirroring the image onto the main screen, and not using it as a second screen. I was wondering if there are going to be any issues with resolutions if he tries to do that with a 21:9 aspect ratio monitor (since his laptop is 16:9 at least to my knowledge).

yeah it will look wrong

either the laptop screen will have black bars at the top and bottom to make it 21:9, or the laptop screen will have a horizontally squished image, or the monitor will have a stretched image, or the monitor will have black bars

if you just extend the display then it will work fine, but im almost certainly sure you will have a distorted image when mirroring

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020