Best CPU to go with my new GPU

Tokan

Hi

I have an asus strix r7 370 with 4 gb ram and now i need a cpu to go with it. I was thinking about getting fx 6300 or fx 8350. I know that the fx 8350 is better but my questio is, is it worth it the extra $$$ because i dont have a big budget...

Take into account that prices in my country are higher and that i had to pay 200 euros for that graphic card..

Hi

I have an asus strix r7 370 with 4 gb ram and now i need a cpu to go with it. I was thinking about getting fx 6300 or fx 8350. I know that the fx 8350 is better but my questio is, is it worth it the extra $$$ because i dont have a big budget...

Take into account that prices in my country are higher and that i had to pay 200 euros for that graphic card..

Neither, get the 860k, and a hyper 212, and overclock on an a88x board.

Hi

I3-4160 an option?

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

Either the athlon x4 860k or go up to the 4460, don't bother with anything between

The athlon x4 860k sounds good.. any particular reason to use it? And will it be the bottleneck in my pc when i run modern games?

Edit: intel parts cost a lot where i live.

The athlon x4 860k sounds good.. any particular reason to use it? And will it be the bottleneck in my pc when i run modern games?

Edit: intel parts cost a lot where i live.

It wont bottleneck even if you dont overclock it but overclock gpu. X4 860k is great ptice/performance but if you want a bit more cpu power buy fx-6300 and if you need extra cores get fx-8320. In that pricepoint is no reason to buy intel.

I'm Linus too. (:

I3-4160 an option?

4160 = 6300/6350

@Tokan

DO NOT get the AThlon 860k. it REALLY ISNT THAT GREAT..... on paper it is "better" in old games, but we are talking a minute difference. While in newer games a FX 6300 will fare much better then the Athlon 860k ever will.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($89.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: ASRock 970M PRO3 Micro ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard  ($63.89 @ OutletPC)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory  ($38.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $192.87

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-09 15:34 EST-0500

get this setup.

I would say if you only do gaming then 6300 but if you do some work with your pc that needs cores then get 8320

I'm Linus too. (:

4160 = 6300/6350 @TokanDO NOT get the AThlon 860k. it REALLY ISNT THAT GREAT..... on paper it is "better" in old games, but we are talking a minute difference. While in newer games a FX 6300 will fare much better then the Athlon 860k ever will.  PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchantCPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($89.99 @ Newegg)Motherboard: ASRock 970M PRO3 Micro ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard  ($63.89 @ OutletPC)Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory  ($38.99 @ Newegg)Total: $192.87Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-09 15:34 EST-0500 get this setup.

That is a good build.. here it would cost 240-250 euros. Why does an older cpu perform better than a newer one?

I would say if you only do gaming then 6300 but if you do some work with your pc that needs cores then get 8320

Mostly gaming. But would the 6300 be enough if i add another r7 370 in the future?

That is a good build.. here it would cost 240-250 euros. Why does an older cpu perform better than a newer one?

ok. first off, there is a few reasons, but the main one is the core architecture. which is based on the same principles. however they are different iterations.

FX is based on Piledriver

whilst Athlon 860k is based upon Steamroller.

in theory, steamroller is 7% faster then steamroller in single core performance. but in order to achieve that, they had to sacrifice something. What went out the window was "clock speed scaling"... in short. it gets little to nothing from OC at all.

second off is the fact that they perform within spitting distance of eachother when only 4 cores can be used. however put them in a game that uses 5 or 6 cores, and the FX surges ahead instantly.

also, CPU wise, Athlon 860k tops out at a R9 380, whilst the FX (any FX) tops out at R9 290.... an intel i3 has much better single core performance, but would still top out at a R9 290X at best.

ok. first off, there is a few reasons, but the main one is the core architecture. which is based on the same principles. however they are different iterations.

FX is based on Piledriver

whilst Athlon 860k is based upon Steamroller.

in theory, steamroller is 7% faster then steamroller in single core performance. but in order to achieve that, they had to sacrifice something. What went out the window was "clock speed scaling"... in short. it gets little to nothing from OC at all.

second off is the fact that they perform within spitting distance of eachother when only 4 cores can be used. however put them in a game that uses 5 or 6 cores, and the FX surges ahead instantly.

also, CPU wise, Athlon 860k tops out at a R9 380, whilst the FX (any FX) tops out at R9 290.... an intel i3 has much better single core performance, but would still top out at a R9 290X at best.

So the 860k is better in older/newer games that only use 4 cores. But the 6300 is better in newer games that use more cores. I heard somewhere that the release of dx 12 will make games use more cores... is this true?

So the 860k is better in older/newer games that only use 4 cores. But the 6300 is better in newer games that use more cores. I heard somewhere that the release of dx 12 will make games use more cores... is this true?

honestly, the difference is nearly non existent.

in some games the 860k may be able to beat the 6300 by 5 FPS

in most games, it will lose by 5-10 FPS depending on how many "cores" the game can use.

honestly, the difference is nearly non existent.

in some games the 860k may be able to beat the 6300 by 5 FPS

in most games, it will lose by 5-10 FPS depending on how many "cores" the game can use.

Ok lets say i go with the 6300. You said i should get ddr-3 2400 ram. So lets say i do it. Now, is that motherboard you recommended good for overclocking? Should i get 212 evo to cool the cpu? Or should i run everything on stock?

4160 = 6300/6350

@Tokan

DO NOT get the AThlon 860k. it REALLY ISNT THAT GREAT..... on paper it is "better" in old games, but we are talking a minute difference. While in newer games a FX 6300 will fare much better then the Athlon 860k ever will.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($89.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: ASRock 970M PRO3 Micro ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard ($63.89 @ OutletPC)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($38.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $192.87

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-09 15:34 EST-0500

get this setup.

Insert argument about upgrade path and shitty IPC.

Insert rest of flame war there ↓

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

Insert argument about upgrade path and shitty IPC.

Insert rest of flame war there ↓

insert argument of price to performance

insert argument of "if you are aiming for an i3, you prolly dont have the cash to upgrade anytime soon, and by then ZEN will be out"

insert argument of "if you have nothing productive to add. dont post"

Ok lets say i go with the 6300. You said i should get ddr-3 2400 ram. So lets say i do it. Now, is that motherboard you recommended good for overclocking? Should i get 212 evo to cool the cpu? Or should i run everything on stock?

get the board i listed. it will let you get to 4.2 GHz at max.

i used to own a FX 8320 myself, and trust me when i say -> there is little point in overclocking these CPUs really hard. they do not gain much performance benefit past 4.2-4.5GHz....

get a CM TX3, T4 or 212 if you are going to OC.