Microsoft Launches Official 'Cortana' App for iOS and Android Devices

Nineshadow

Microsoft today officially launched its virtual assistant Cortana as a downloadable app for iOS and Android platforms (via Business Insider). Similar to Apple's Siri personal assistant, Cortana allows Windows users to set reminders, preview the weather, and answer basic questions thanks to integrated internet search abilities. Other Cortana for iOS and Android features include the following:

•Set and get location and time reminders across your PC and phone.
    •Track packages, flights, scores, stocks, and other important info across your PC and phone.
    •Use Cortana’s Notebook to view, edit and manage your interests
    •Get information and answers to all kinds of questions. If you’re looking for it, Cortana can help find it.
    •Have a little fun in your down time — ask anything, get jokes, and much more.

cortana-for-iOS.jpg

Microsoft detailed a few features for Cortana at Business Insider's Ignition Conference in New York City, including abilities like asking Cortana for help with your voice without having to open up the app. Unfortunately, most of those features won't be available to iOS users due to certain developer restrictions that fence off Cortana from becoming fully integrated into iOS.

On the other hand, a few Android smartphones will gain a leg up on the iOS version of Cortana thanks to a partnership between Microsoft and start-up company Cyanogen, which runs a custom version of the OS on select Android devices. With Cyanogen software, Android users will have essentially all of the abilities Windows Phone users have over Cortana, including being able to speak to the personal assistant without opening up the separate app.

After some rumors and speculation earlier in the year, in May Microsoft confirmed that Cortana would be heading to non-Windows Phone platforms later this year. In November, the company opened up beta sign-ups for users to test out Cortana for iOS in a pre-release state.

App store : https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cortana/id1054501703?mt=8

Play store : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.cortana&ah=LDu5YqcsdJWDJXd-8iet3xj6eAA&hl=en-GB

SOURCE : http://www.macrumors.com/2015/12/09/official-cortana-app-for-ios-and-android/

Well, it's here guys, officially.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Finally, Siri can't bitch about Cortana. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

As long as she doesn't sound like the actual Cortana from Halo, I won't use it. Also not on pc

FX-6300 cooled by Nepton 240M | EVGA GTX 970 SuperClocked | 8GB G.Skill ValueRAM | Cooler Master 690 III | Sharkoon WMP 500 Bronze

Power supplies:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/406160-psu-ranking-and-tiers/ My F@h stats: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=zyntaxable Intel vs. FX for gaming: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/401217-more-updated-fx-vs-intel-for-gaming/

Finally, Siri can't bitch about Cortana. 

I forgot that Siri even existed. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Not compatible with my Z2 on cyanogenmod 12.1... The hell? Why not?

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

As long as she doesn't sound like the actual Cortana from Halo, I won't use it. Also not on pc

The "American English" Cortana is voiced by the woman who voices Halo - Jen Taylor.

The UK English is a totally different voice though - for... some... stupid reason.

I can confirm that Canadian English also uses Jen Taylor. No idea about the iOS/Android versions, but I assume it'll use the same voice depending on the localization (UK vs American English).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

@Nineshadow you might add, that Cortana is still limited to USA & China for now...

source

The Cortana app is available today in the U.S. and China for iPhones on iOS8 and up and Android 4.1.2. And will be available in the U.S. on One Plus One powered by Cyanogen OS with the 12.1.1 over-the-air update later in Dec. -Marcus Ash / Group Program Manager, Cortana

This is an alpha...this is not a beta. Yeah...and we're running it on production ! [LinusTech & SlickPC]   ~    More Power Than All the Computers in 1999! [Our Servers ^^]

Not compatible with my Z2 on cyanogenmod 12.1... The hell? Why not?

No compatability with my Oneplus One either.

EDIT:

For anyone wanting to BS there way into using Cortana (if your device supports it but you're out of US/CN) You can change your Google Wallet location to either of these countries and hey presto it'll allow you. I have multiple GMail accounts and just made one of them into a US account so yea.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.