Camera suggestions- Broll like Brandon

I'm starting up a youtube channel project for fun. The channel will be focussed entirely on pc hardware reviews/vlogs so I won't be doing any landscape work and will be filming 99% of the time inside i imagine in a controlled environment. I'll do a lot of shots with myself infront of some screens, and a lot of juicy broll with the intent of highlighting details. Subject in focus with a blurred/out of focus background, i'm lead to believe the term is bokeh (i'm so smart).

As I want to do this properly I would like to get a decent camera. Being completely new to the camera world I can understand how some/many of you would be hesitant to suggest me investing 1-2k in a camera setup as I won't know what i'm doing. Which is true. But I intend on growing the channel out a lot more and I don't want to be restricted in the kind of quality I want to produce. Ie me getting a cheaper second hand dslr and everything for 500 dollars and having to buy another camera middle of next year. I plan on this being a long term thing :)

I was thinking of a Canon EOS 70D with a 50ml lense of some sort, perhaps something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...4AKYAAPLLLPURR1

I'm very open to suggestion- i've heard the lumix GH4 is also great for video. I don't plan on doing any still photography really, i'll purely use the camera for video work.

Thanks!

People will forgive tech.  Just make sure your content is great and when you have a steady follower base, invest in it.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

In a tech channel, people will even watch you by just sitting down and talking about what tech you have in your hand as a review, tech that you wanna talk about that isn't in your hand, so on and so forth.

As others have mentioned, get a cheaper camera to start with. 

Invest more heavily in audio and lighting. For good B-Roll, a good tripod, slider and lens is far more important than the camera.

The camera is just one tool out of many.

As long as you don't do this crap.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

As long as you don't do this crap.

I'm gonna go grab a bucket

I know you did the vid as a demonstration, but vids in 60fps of people just doing unboxings or just talking and not showing any clip like gameplay or anything that objectively would benefit from 60fps makes gives me a headache to the point of vomiting (metaphorically)

snip

I doubt if this kid in the video understood when and where to use 60fps.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Sometimes I miss it when people used 24fps for videos on just talking and discussing.

For YouTube you want to film at 30p tbh since it upscales 24p to 30p , and with its compressed just makes 24fps video look worse

and there is not much between 24 and 30, and most entry levels DSLRs only shoot at 30

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

For YouTube you want to film at 30p tbh since it upscales 24p to 30p , and with its compressed just makes 24fps video look worse

and there is not much between 24 and 30, and most entry levels DSLRs only shoot at 30

And they shoot at 30 for a reason

"Due to the fact that 30 fps (NTSC) video is rather easily converted to 25 fps (PAL) by most equipment, some cameras and camcorders only offer a 30p or 60i video format."

http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowledge-center/video-frame-rates-24p-25p-30p-60i.html

YouTube supports native 24p but a lot of PC monitors are running at 60Hz and the difference between 24p and 30p is big.

"Due to the fact that 30 fps (NTSC) video is rather easily converted to 25 fps (PAL) by most equipment, some cameras and camcorders only offer a 30p or 60i video format."

http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowledge-center/video-frame-rates-24p-25p-30p-60i.html

Also since monitors run at 60fps it makes sense to run at 30 for most things

Also in a film projector, even though the film runs at 24 frames per second, each frame is shown 3 times, making it flicker at 72 frames per second, which looks more natural

YouTube supports native 24p but a lot of PC monitors are running at 60Hz and the difference between 24p and 30p is big.

Yeah it makes sense

I thought all 24 video was converted and played at 30 by YouTube (Maybe that has changed)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Also since monitors run at 60fps it makes sense to run at 30 for most things

Also in a film projector, even though the film runs at 24 frames per second, each frame is shown 3 times, making it flicker at 72 frames per second, which looks more natural

And people should be careful of filming in values that are multiples of a monitor's refresh rate.  When filming under lights that might flicker or have their own "refresh" rate depending on the electrical frequency of the country/region, selecting a proper frame rate is important.  Not sure if that many modern cameras suffer but early digital video cameras, and first generations of DSLRs with video had a higher potential for getting light flicker when filming.

And people should be careful of filming in values that are multiples of a monitor's refresh rate.  When filming under lights that might flicker or have their own "refresh" rate depending on the electrical frequency of the country/region, selecting a proper frame rate is important.  Not sure if that many modern cameras suffer but early digital video cameras, and first generations of DSLRs with video had a higher potential for getting light flicker when filming.

It defiantly is an issue still

Either way, 60p for just talking... nope... just a nope...

I don't really mind

Fun Fact NTSC does not mean 30fps and PAL does not mean 25fps

Actually it is very difficult to convert 30fps footage to 25fps footage  

It doesn't depend on the camera. The strength is only determined by the flicker frequency of the light, the frame rate and the shutter speed.  

And there's a difference between rolling shutter cameras and global shutter cameras.  

I don't really mind

Depends on how it's filmed.  But certainly for recording interviews and such, the extra file sizes of shooting in 60fps is not necessary when 24, 25 or 30 will work just as well.

Thanks for the information guys, really really helpful.

I know the camera is just one tool that i'll be using and I definitely won't be using that as my crutch. I'm looking at getting in two softboxes (with lights) and a 'mood lamp'. The last video I did was horribly horribly over exposed and wasn't really salvageable, yet i've had more people watch that than any other video, so the comment below I think is spot on.

In a tech channel, people will even watch you by just sitting down and talking about what tech you have in your hand as a review, tech that you wanna talk about that isn't in your hand, so on and so forth.

Given that a lot of the stuff I intend on filming won't benefit from 60 fps (some of it will, if i'm cutting to gameplay for instance) I think that does narrow down my search for a camera a fair bit. A lot of what i've seen in the entry-mid level DSLR's is a cap of 30fps on 1080p, with some cameras like the Lumix range being able to shoot with 1080i 60fps. The main cameras i've been looking at have been the Canon 70d, Panasonic Lumix GH range, Nikon D7200. All of which are around the same price point in NZ. 

So given that i'll be most likely getting a camera only capable of up to 30fps at 1080, do you think it's better to shoot at 24, 25 or 30 frames for youtube content? Are there any go to models you guys would suggest?

There's also the question as to whether I could invest in something 4k compatible like the Panasonic Lumix LX100 (which is actually cheaper that all the others).

I just noticed this.

Subject in focus with a blurred/out of focus background, i'm lead to believe the term is bokeh (i'm so smart).

Being completely new to the camera world I can understand how some/many of you would be hesitant to suggest me investing 1-2k in a camera setup as I won't know what i'm doing.

stmangab20496.jpg

Read the links in my signature.

I just noticed this.

facepalm_227789.jpg

Read the links in my signature.

Yup that's why i came asking for advice as to what I should do BEFORE i go out and buy stuff. So as far as i'm concerned I haven't done anything that warrants a fail post........ yet.

Yup that's why i came asking for advice as to what I should do BEFORE i go out and buy stuff. So as far as i'm concerned I haven't done anything that warrants a fail post........ yet.

I put the wrong image.

The best advice you can get right now is in my signature.

I put the wrong image.

The best advice you can get right now is in my signature.

It's a good guide, thanks. 

I'm really just looking at getting something that will allow me to, over the course of a year, expand into and be able to produce something that's at least comparable to the quality of video that Hardware Canuks, Jaystwocents, jokers productions etc make. I'm not saying I will be as good or ever be as good, but I'd like to try. 

I'd go with the Panasonic G7 or GH4, or the Sony A7s or A7sII.  If you have the budget I wouldn't bother trying to get a Canon or Nikon as their video quality is just not up to par with Panasonic's or Sony's.

So given that i'll be most likely getting a camera only capable of up to 30fps at 1080, do you think it's better to shoot at 24, 25 or 30 frames for youtube content? 

30fps since it is mostly watched on 60Hz monitors.