For students: Best laptop size?

djdelarosa25

As small as possible, really... It's all personal preference. I prefer large laptops that offer a desktop-like experience, but portability can be an issue.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Title says it all.

11-13" for the average student. If you're a big guy, you can probably pull off 15-17". 

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

Resolution might end up being more important than size, since that's what dictates how much you can fit on the screen, which is what you probably want to maximize (right?), but there's a limit, especially since you'll want a physically smaller one too; 4K at 13" without scaling is not recommended :)

Just make sure you get one that's not too heavy and/or thick.  That can be a bigger problem than size any day

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I'm a pretty small guy. I'm about a 5'3-5'4, skinny, 14-year old. Anyways, I'd almost always be carrying it everyday in my bag to school. What's the perfect size?

Also, can you guys recommend me a $500-$700 laptop that'll be reliable for the next few years?

Also, can you guys recommend me a $500-$600 laptop that'll be reliable for the next few years?

That depends on what you're doing.  When I got my school laptop it had to serve as my main machine too, so that meant running 3D cad-like software, games, etc. so if that's what you're doing, then no I actually can't recommend anything in that price range for the next few years because it doesn't exist.  If you are just doing basic stuff though, there should be a number of decent options.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

We'll be doing some video editing via Premiere. Would an i5-5200U, 940M 2GB, and 4GB of RAM be enough?

We'll be doing some video editing via Premiere. Would an i5-5200U, 940M 2GB, and 4GB of RAM be enough?

eh... I don't think so... I would want minimum 8GB of ram for that... or just anything really.  I got 8 gb in mine like 4+ years ago for about twice your budget so it shouldn't be that expensive to find a model with it

Well, there's this second-hand Yoga 2 with 8GB of RAM, but it has dedicated graphics. Is this better than the one above?

I'm a pretty small guy. I'm about a 5'3-5'4, skinny, 14-year old. Anyways, I'd almost always be carrying it everyday in my bag to school. What's the perfect size?

Also, can you guys recommend me a $500-$700 laptop that'll be reliable for the next few years?

get this laptop with 4GB of ram if you need it and a SD card is cheap about 20-30$ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f5TOp4lmzE

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

For students: Best laptop size?

This is a lame question.  There is no "best" laptop size for a student.  You buy what you can afford and what you feel comfortable using.

Do you want a large 17" laptop that may weigh a couple of kilos?  Or do you want something thin and light that may weigh under 1kg?  Are you going to be using it mainly for writing reports, browsing the web, sending emails?  Do you need to do some desktop publishing, image editing?

These are factors you need to consider and get one that is suitable for your needs.

A small 13" screen would be suitable for writing reports, browsing the web, sending emails.  Most 13" laptops are pretty thin and lightweight, something like the Asus Zenbooks or similar designs from other brands.

A 17" is better for doing more intensive work, such as video editing, desktop publications, because of the larger screen real estate and 17" laptops tend to have more room for a better GPU and a powerful CPU.  But it's larger and heavier.

15" usually sits midway between the two.

Of course these are just generalizations, there are smaller than 17" gaming laptops that come with powerful CPU and GPUs, but these are also heavy and unwieldy. They also cost more than your budget.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

13" is perfect IMO.

I bought a shitty HP 430 for college, but it's actually really convenient to travel with.

It's pretty compact and light as a feather.

Perfect to take to college everyday.

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

13.3 ~ 14 is probably the most comfortable size of laptop that fits every usual student use

But if you are a big guy, 15.6 is good as well, I have no problem carrying my GE62 around

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

Smaller the better.

However keep in mind of certain devices with special sizes. For example the Dell XPS 15 is not really 15inch, due to the super think borders. Or the Surface Pro line, where due to the 3:2 aspect ratio, the device is smaller than 12inch, as it is more tall, and has thin borders (Pro 4).

13" and 14" (Yes, there is such a thing as a 14" laptop), 11"-12" is too small and too hard to get work done on, and 15"-17" laptops are too big and too hard to lug around, and it usually means the screen draws more power, which either means short battery life or a heavy and big battery and a thicker machine, meaning you can't fit it in a binder like I do with my 13" laptop. And 13" screen size is more reasonable for 2-in-1s which makes it extremely useful at school.

Of course the best option would be to have a smaller laptop and a second monitor. At our school, our IT left a display cable laying around, so I plugged it into the back of one of the monitors in our computer lab and when no one is using that computer I sit down and plug my laptop into it and enjoy doing school work on two monitors. At home my parents have a dual monitor computer and sometimes I just use their secondary monitor for school work.

Got an Android, never going back to apple again (notice I spelled apple with a lowercase and Android with an uppercase)

Hey, I am in the same situation that you are in except I already have a laptop that is out of your budget, It has 8 GB of RAM an Intel i7 CPU, Intel 5500 graphics, a 13" screen, and it has a 256 GB SSD. And it is thin and light and it is AMAZING (let me repeat) AMAZING at school, and it is well worth the cost. As for video editing it pulls it off no problem (heck I've even done blender on it before) it is the HP Spectre x360 and it is basically HP's answer to the macbook air.

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/Laptops/hp-spectre-x360---13-4103dx-%28energy-star%29

There is one with pretty much the same specs except with an i5 processor that wasn't available when I bought mine.

Got an Android, never going back to apple again (notice I spelled apple with a lowercase and Android with an uppercase)

I would say 13" is best for students. I have a 15" laptop and it's just too big for schoolwork, but I'm stuck with it until I graduate high school in 2018 :/

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

I think 14 is pretty good overall. I have a 15 inch and it sucks to whip out in my classes that are in a lecture hall with the tiny desks attached to the seat. I wouldn't go smaller than 14 personally.