Vishera

What have you guys been able to do with Amd's new line of CPU's eg: how high have you been able to overclock them and has eight cores given you benefit?

• 3 months later...

My FX8350 is running nicely at 4.4GHz with just a multiplier bump to 22.  That, and I increased the power available to the CPU/NB/RAM in the VRM settings.  I left the CPU voltage at stock (1.368V in my case) and it's been fine.  With a Corsair H100i on it, it idles around 30C and maxes out at around 50-51C under Prime95.

It's noticeably faster and seems to have helped with some bottlenecks it was causing with my GPUs.

I have read that going to 4.5GHz or above requires increasing the bus speed, which then requires more voltage increases and things get more complex.  

Eight cores has really only been useful to me for things like video encoding, which I don't do a lot of.  It's sad watching games max out only 2 or 4 cores while the others just sit there idle.

AMD FX8350 • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula Z • GeForce GTX 780 + 660 Ti x3 • Cooler Master HAF X • ASUS VG248QE 144Hz LCD+GSYNC • Corsair AX860i

Logitech G19 / MX518 • G.Skill RipjawZ 1866 4x4GB • Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD • WD 1TB Black SATA IIIx2 • Noctua NH-D15