CPU/APU Gets Really Hot When Gaming, But Not When Stress Testing.

Go to solution Solved by Guest SpartaLazerz,

Alright, so i got back from studying this. Here's what you should do:

1. Run a memtest.

2.Configure your memory timings to 1600 (there were alot of people saying this was a RAM issue).

3. When placing AS5 (before you do this, clean it with rubbing alcohol), tint your waterblock (by spreading the compound on it using the edge of a gift card) and then wipe it off (with a coffee filter) to reveal a gray tinge (this means the microscopic silver particles are embedded).

4. Make sure your fan placement is efficient (i.e. push-pull configuration). This will take more hot air out of the case.

I had this problem for a while after I installed Windows 10. When I game, usually Source games (CS:GO, TF2), my APU gets really, really hot, to the point where my computer just freezes in the middle of a game. However, when I use a stress test overnight, like FurMark and OCCT, it does not reach alarming temperatures and does not freeze. I do not use the GPU in my APU when I game, I have a new graphics card, so I have no idea why it heats up this much.

Please help, it is interfering with my matches. :(

EDIT: Forgot to mention that when gaming, my APU doesn't even use 100% load both GPU and CPU wise.

CPU: AMD A10-7850k, MOBO: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WiFi, GPU: Gigabyte R9 380 4GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB DDR3-2133, Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120v, PSU: Corsair CX500M, Case: Cooler Master Elite 130, Storage: PNY XLR8 120GB SSD, Seagate 3TB 7200RPM

Make sure your cooler is mounted correctly and the pump and fans are working as intended.

"You should look up common sense and add it to your vocabulary." - dougdangger 2015

Make sure your cooler is mounted correctly and the pump and fans are working as intended.

the IGPU is not stressed in CPU tests. the IGPU will add more heat into the mix.

EDIT: Ignore this, i skimmed the post. I honestly don't know. Apologies.

Try re-seating the cooler perhaps?

I refit my CPU cooler in the past and even used the Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste and replaced my cooler, no difference what so ever. Any other ideas?

CPU: AMD A10-7850k, MOBO: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WiFi, GPU: Gigabyte R9 380 4GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB DDR3-2133, Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120v, PSU: Corsair CX500M, Case: Cooler Master Elite 130, Storage: PNY XLR8 120GB SSD, Seagate 3TB 7200RPM

I refit my CPU cooler in the past and even used the Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste and replaced my cooler, no difference what so ever. Any other ideas?

Are all your fans and pump(s) working on it?

"You should look up common sense and add it to your vocabulary." - dougdangger 2015

Are all your fans and pump(s) working on it?

How do I check that? Also pls check edit above.:P

Try stress testing for longer maybe you have turbomode on so it try to adapt to the stress or run both heaven and prime95 at same time maybe they together give different result

How do I check that?

Fans should be easy.  For the pump, my suggestion is to find where it's plugged in at, and then go into the BIOS and poke your head around.  At least in my bios there's a place that allows me to set fan speeds, and shows me how fast the fans I have plugged into the motherboard are running.

Fans should be easy.  For the pump, my suggestion is to find where it's plugged in at, and then go into the BIOS and poke your head around.  At least in my bios there's a place that allows me to set fan speeds, and shows me how fast the fans I have plugged into the motherboard are running.

Yeah I checked the bios, it is running, both fans and pump.

Try stress testing for longer maybe you have turbomode on so it try to adapt to the stress or run both heaven and prime95 at same time maybe they together give different result

How long do you suggest I test for?

Yeah I checked the bios, it is running, both fans and pump.

Hrmm I'm running out of ideas honestly.  How's your case ventilation?  Are you overclocked any, whether by self or by a program?

Hrmm I'm running out of ideas honestly.  How's your case ventilation?  Are you overclocked any, whether by self or by a program?

Ventilation seems fine, I have a graphics card that is directly intaking air from the edge of my case, my intake cpu fan blows air inside and psu blows out the hot air and no i have not overclocked

Ventilation seems fine, I have a graphics card that is directly intaking air from the edge of my case, my intake cpu fan blows air inside and psu blows out the hot air and no i have not overclocked

If you still have the stock cooler test that one out with a program like AIDA64.  If nothing changes with that then at least you'll know it's not the cooler.

If you still have the stock cooler test that one out with a program like AIDA64.  If nothing changes with that then at least you'll know it's not the cooler.

My APU runs hotter on the stock cooler and I wouldn't want to risk damage. I checked that before.

My APU runs hotter on the stock cooler and I wouldn't want to risk damage. I checked that before.

I've honestly ran out of ideas.. It may be a faulty component somewhere but who knows.  Sorry I couldn't help.

Hello Mecha_Snyper,

As a request, may i see pictures to get a better grasp of this issue (your setup, bios, benchmarks you did recently)?

try a push/pull configuration with the radiator. you can use two of the screws from the other side of the rad if you don't have extras. worked great with my 5800k....... secondly, going to an all in one leaves a big spot on the board where no air will be hitting the cpu?apu's motherboard area. you need to focus a fan in that area to blow down and across the board .

Hello Mecha_Snyper,

As a request, may i see pictures to get a better grasp of this issue (your setup, bios, benchmarks you did recently)?

I will post pictures soon and do another benchmark on my APU graphics. However, right now I only have the benchmark logs of the OCCT stress test. http://imgur.com/a/bd6wF

EDIT: Also, do you have any idea how to hide this pictures in like a drop down? It takes too much space :P.

EDIT2: Uploaded images to imgur instead of using forum. 

Hello Mecha_Snyper,

Here is my bios, and my CPU, I replaced the thermal compound on my CPU and water block. Basically my setup just sucks in to the radiator and is blown out using the PSU fan. My GPU gets air directly out of the case and out from the i/o. 

Here are the pics

http://imgur.com/a/ZcpmG

that cpu temp is wacky............ this is at idle? something is terribly wrong. do a cmos reset.

take the wire for the pump and put it on a fan header NOT the cpu fan header. if the board does not have a fan header........... use a molex to 3/4pin connector and attach the pump to that.

i suspect the pump is not running at a good steady pace but throttling.

that cpu temp is wacky............ this is at idle? something is terribly wrong. do a cmos reset.

take the wire for the pump and put it on a fan header NOT the cpu fan header. if the board does not have a fan header........... use a molex to 3/4pin connector and attach the pump to that.

i suspect the pump is not running at a good steady pace but throttling.

Yes, I noticed the temperature on the CPU is really high, I am very confused about this too. And you are probably right about the fans, I will probably try that out. 

1. Run a memtest.

2.Configure your memory timings to 1600 (there were alot of people saying this was a RAM issue).

3. When placing AS5 (before you do this, clean it with rubbing alcohol), tint your waterblock (by spreading the compound on it using the edge of a gift card) and then wipe it off (with a coffee filter) to reveal a gray tinge (this means the microscopic silver particles are embedded).

4. Make sure your fan placement is efficient (i.e. push-pull configuration). This will take more hot air out of the case.

1. Run a memtest.

Okay, I will try a memtest, memory timings? please elaborate. does that relate to 2133 mhz i have on my ram? I think i am running low on AS5 so i dont think i can do 3. and I will try the push pull config after i get a fan splitter 

does that relate to 2133 mhz i have on my ram? 

Yes. You'll want to underclock it (frequency, timings, voltage).

Have you tried other stress testing programs like P95 or AIDA64?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Yes. You'll want to underclock it (frequency, timings, voltage).

why? the faster the bandwidth even with a discreet card matters.

OP, you do any of that stuff suggested yet?