Looking for 2TB 2.5" SATA/SAS disk

leadeater

@Captain_WD or anyone else, is there a ~2TB NAS rated 2.5" disk available from WD/HGST? Seagate has an option, ST2000NX0403/ST2000NX0433, but I would like to find another alternative for comparison and pricing.

I would prefer it to also be 512N since I'll be using it for DAS in ESXi but 512E/4K will do fine if that is all there is. Reasoning behind these requirements is because my server has 32 2.5" bays so I'm rather screwed in terms of choices for large capacity disk options.

Thanks but that is 3.5" not 2.5"

oh right sorry. Then I don't know any.

One thing, while they are obviously much more expensive, ssds are pretty damn good as nas drives go. The lower performance models go as low as 100 bucks for 500gb, and in a nas performance doesn't matter much.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

oh right sorry. Then I don't know any.

One thing, while they are obviously much more expensive, ssds are pretty damn good as nas drives go. The lower performance model go as low as 100 bucks for 500gb, and in a nas performance doesn't matter much.

Yea already got 2 512GB 840 Pros and 4 512GB 850 Pros :) Just looking for some cheapish large disks for storing unused VMs or low usage ones, plus bulk file storage of TV etc.

I'd keep going all ssd but other than the hardware raid issues I've already hit with the 850's I can't help feel I'm buring money for no good reason :P

Yea already got 2 512GB 840 Pros and 4 512GB 850 Pros :) Just looking for some cheapish large disks for storing unused VMs or low usage ones, plus bulk file storage of TV etc.

I'd keep going all ssd but other than the hardware raid issues I've already hit with the 850's I can't help feel I'm buring money for no good reason :P

well, in theory ssds are way more reliable than any hdd, so there's that ^^

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

@Captain_WD or anyone else, is there a ~2TB NAS rated 2.5" disk available from WD/HGST? Seagate has an option, ST2000NX0403/ST2000NX0433, but I would like to find another alternative for comparison and pricing.

I would prefer it to also be 512N since I'll be using it for DAS in ESXi but 512E/4K will do fine if that is all there is. Reasoning behind these requirements is because my server has 32 2.5" bays so I'm rather screwed in terms of choices for large capacity disk options.

As far as I'm aware, the only 2.5" 2TB HDD from WD is a WD Green drive.

Does the capacity have to be 2TB specifically?

WD has 2.5" WD Red NAS drives, but only in 750GB and 1TB capacities. Most of WD's enterprise/SAS drives are now 3.5" form factor.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

As far as I'm aware, the only 2.5" 2TB HDD from WD is a WD Green drive.

Does the capacity have to be 2TB specifically?

WD has 2.5" WD Red NAS drives, but only in 750GB and 1TB capacities. Most of WD's enterprise/SAS drives are now 3.5" form factor.

Larger disks really is what I'm after. I've only got the SAS back-planes for 16 of the 32 bays and 12 are already populated. The back-planes are also rather hard to find now that the server isn't the current model, or that cheap either.

The other option I have is upgrade to the x3500 M5 barebones and move all the disks, ram, power supplies etc to that. The M5 has much better drive combination options, 16 2.5" + 6 3.5".

~snip~

Hey there leadeater,

WD currently does not offer 2.5" drives that are NAS/RAID rated. 2.5" WD Red's maximum capacity is currently 1TB and the only larger 2.5" drive is WD Green but I wouldn't advise you to use it in a NAS or in a RAID array. There are people who use them and are pretty happy with the performance but I wouldn't go with that. :) Feel free to drop a message if I can help with anything else!

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/