Is the 980 ti worth it for 1080p 144hz?

PsychoJamz
Go to solution Solved by Totalimus,

I'm only giving my amatuer opinion, so don't take it for right.

Currently I think 980 Ti is overkill for 1080p gaming, although, by years passing by games will get more demanding (obviously) and that's where 980 Ti steps in so it is probably gonna be a good choice (I don't even think there's a better option out there). Don't go for Titan X unless you're playing on multiple monitors, it is barely more powerfull than 980 Ti and costs much more.

You are buying a graphics card in a inconvenient time because 9XX series are gonna get price drops very soon since NVIDIA is getting ready for the release of new series.

Hey yow I need to know because I am building a new gaming pc with the new i7 skylake cpu and I have been thinking alot about what gpu I get because this new pc im building will be the pc I will use for the next 3 to 5 years and I think that the 980 ti will serve me well in that 3-5 years with all those new games coming out and I am gaming at 1080 144hz and all those 4k monitor/tv are too expensive.

Please let me know if it is worth or not.

Hey yow I need to know because I am building a new gaming pc with the new i7 skylake cpu and I have been thinking alot about what gpu I get because this new pc im building will be the pc I will use for the next 3 to 5 years and I think that the 980 ti will serve me well in that 3-5 years with all those new games coming out and I am gaming at 1080 144hz and all those 4k monitor/tv are too expensive.

Sure, it's a good choice IMO for AAA titles at 1080p 144Hz.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Great for next 2 years of AAA maybe?

Yes that's good GPU but may not last u the 4-5 year range though as there are some pretty big leaps happening ATM! Maybe if you can afford it a 980 ti SLI and just don't use the second card much till the better scaling comes soon (and it will fingers crossed), and if you can to be super safe maybe a Titan X (no jks) just to try and feed that 144hz panel for the next 4 years? 

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

Erm that's the wrong section.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Aim for 1440p bro.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Sorry if this is the wrong section I am new to this site and i posted this using my phone so i was confused...

Aim for 1440p bro.

If i go buy a 1440p monitor and i go for the 980 ti how long will that last me for

If i go buy a 1440p monitor and i go for the 980 ti how long will that last me for

At least 3years. 1440p is getting bigger and bigger market, not to mention price drops.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 

You also need a monitor that can support that refresh rate, I would suggest an ASUS PG279Q

Regular 980 can do 1080p 144 hz no problem with max settings or very high so titan version of that gpu is overkill

Great for next 2 years of AAA maybe?

Yes that's good GPU but may not last u the 4-5 year range though as there are some pretty big leaps happening ATM! Maybe if you can afford it a 980 ti SLI and just don't use the second card much till the better scaling comes soon (and it will fingers crossed), and if you can to be super safe maybe a Titan X (no jks) just to try and feed that 144hz panel for the next 4 years? 

So is it worth for 1080p gaming and i was thinking about sli and i was thinking that 2 980 ti s overkill for just only 1080p gaming, thanks for the reply btw

Regular 980 can do 1080p 144 hz no problem with max settings or very high so titan version of that gpu is overkill

Yes i know that a regular 980 can handle the 1080p 144hz easily on very high or so but this computer will be the computer i will be using for the 3 or 4 year for gaming and i want to build the fastest computer i can build.

Yes i know that a regular 980 can handle the 1080p 144hz easily on very high or so but this computer will be the computer i will be using for the 3 or 4 year for gaming and i want to build the fastest computer i can Giv

Give me a budget and a location.Do you need a keabord,mouse monitor,os etc..

I'm using a 980Ti for 1080p 144hz, as long as the game you are playing doesn't have some weird problem (e.g. Fallout4) or is super graphically intensive like Crysis 3 you shouldn't have any problem pushing over 144fps.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

At least 3years. 1440p is getting bigger and bigger market, not to mention price drops.

No i meant how long will the 980 ti last if i game on 1440p...

No i meant how long will the 980 ti last if i game on 1440p...

It'll last 2 years but it's probably gonna struggle by then when new AAA titles comes out.

Yeah you'll want the GTX 980 Ti. People seem to underestimate how demanding some games are fully maxed out... like even with a 980 Ti at 1080P there are some games where you'll need to drop some settings lower to maintain in the neighbourhood of 120-144 FPS

I'm only giving my amatuer opinion, so don't take it for right.

Currently I think 980 Ti is overkill for 1080p gaming, although, by years passing by games will get more demanding (obviously) and that's where 980 Ti steps in so it is probably gonna be a good choice (I don't even think there's a better option out there). Don't go for Titan X unless you're playing on multiple monitors, it is barely more powerfull than 980 Ti and costs much more.

You are buying a graphics card in a inconvenient time because 9XX series are gonna get price drops very soon since NVIDIA is getting ready for the release of new series.

Hey guys i think i found answer and i will go for the 980 ti so that i can run all games coming out in 2016, thank you for all of you who replied and i think im gonna like it here in linustechtips THANK YOU SO MUCH SO MUCH FRIENDLY USERS THANK YOU THANK YOU..

It'll last 2 years but it's probably gonna struggle by then when new AAA titles comes out.

Thank you!!!!