Cooler mounting hardware damages Skylake chips!

We all know that every cooler applies some pressure on the CPU so that it has good contact with it, which affects its cooling performance. Given that the new Skylake CPUs have the same overall height with older generations but the heatsink is actually thicker, the CPU PCB is now slimmer. This means that it's weaker than it's predecessor...

04063725905l.jpg

Some cooling solutions have been found to apply to much pressure on the chip. So much, that it may damage, bend the processor. Also, since the cooler applies that pressure, not only on the processor, but on the motherboard itself, there is the possibility of bending and damaging the motherboard.

04063725946l.jpg

Luckily, few coolers are the ones that can damage a Skylake CPU, and most of them will do it when the system is under stress (moving, bumping-knocking the motherboard-case etc.).

Many cooler manufacturers have released statements about the issue and the compatibility of their products with these chips.

More information and the statements at the source: http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/cpu_mainboard/skylake_cpu_can_get_damaged_from_cooler_mounting_pressure/1

Yikes. That's less than ideal.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Didn't someone post this already like a week ago???

A couple days ago but they didn't follow the tech news/ review guidelines so it was locked after 24 hours, or switched sections

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

just tighten till snug... no more.. use your hand with a simple screwdriver -- dont use anything that gives you a torque advantage.

doesnt have to be super tight anyway

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1