GPU RAM for 6 year old system

Lloyd
Go to solution Solved by Marcus Torre DeProspero,

So, if I were to start using Cinema 4D or 3D obects in After Effects, would it be useful?

Maybe, I haven't used those. Just, for now, buy whatever you can afford. For an editing pc the least important thing is the gpu

Hi All,

I've been gradually upgrading my 6 year old system for use as a video editing workstation, an interim solution until I can build a purpose-made rig. So far I've installed an i7-870 CPU, along with 16GB or RAM. I'm now looking into what GPU I can afford to get, which isn't a lot so I'm stuck buying used gear from eBay.

I currently use Premiere, After Effects, Encore CS6, Photoshop and Lightroom. I work with a variety of codecs in 1080p and occasionally 4K footage.

My question is what benefits might I see between a GTX 680 with 2GB or 4GB of on-board RAM? Would these programs make use of this extra GPU RAM? Would the responsiveness of scrubbing through footage, RAM Previews and speed of rendering be better with 4GB of RAM or is 2GB sufficient?

Any advice would be most appreciated, thanks.

CURRENT - Dell XPS 15 9550

DECEASED - CPU - Core i7 870 @ 2.93GHz || Motherboard - MSI 7613 Ver. 1.0 || RAM - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1333MHz || Graphics card - MSI GT 220 || Storage - 1x240GB SanDisk SSD Plus (Windows 7 SP1), 1x 960GB SanDisk Ultra II (Premiere/After Effects Projects, 1x 640GB WD Caviar Blue (Data Drive), 2x 4TB Seagate External USB 3.0 HDD

the vram on gpus are used to add textures on screen so the seize of a texture file in a video game would be he only thing to use that unless you are using a 3d editing/rendering program like maya

the vram on gpus are used to add textures on screen so the seize of a texture file in a video game would be he only thing to use that unless you are using a 3d editing/rendering program like maya

So, if I were to start using Cinema 4D or 3D obects in After Effects, would it be useful?

CURRENT - Dell XPS 15 9550

DECEASED - CPU - Core i7 870 @ 2.93GHz || Motherboard - MSI 7613 Ver. 1.0 || RAM - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1333MHz || Graphics card - MSI GT 220 || Storage - 1x240GB SanDisk SSD Plus (Windows 7 SP1), 1x 960GB SanDisk Ultra II (Premiere/After Effects Projects, 1x 640GB WD Caviar Blue (Data Drive), 2x 4TB Seagate External USB 3.0 HDD

Maybe, I haven't used those. Just, for now, buy whatever you can afford. For an editing pc the least important thing is the gpu