Crucial MX100 256GB disseapearing from file explorer/bios

Thony
Go to solution Solved by Enderman,

Installing crystal and this only happens wit hthis drive. Evo 850 and WD Blue are fine.

try a new sata cable and port

if it still happens your ssd is defective

No idea why but this happened twice already within 2 months. Could anyone suggest a software that would test the SSD and provide the test log ?

Would be best if u used that software and could give me feedback when i post a screenshot of the log.

So far i run SSD Life and it says SSD is in good condition. 

Restarting my PC doesnt help but turning off power supply and re-attaching data cable fixes it for now.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

crystal disk info and mark are good tests

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

use crystaldiskinfo to know if the drive is ok

try changing the sata cable and changing the sata port

does this happen with any other drives?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

use crystaldiskinfo to know if the drive is ok

try changing the sata cable and changing the sata port

does this happen with any other drives?

Installing crystal and this only happens wit hthis drive. Evo 850 and WD Blue are fine.

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

try a new sata cable and port

if it still happens your ssd is defective

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

~snip~

Hey there Thony,

I'd backup everything important from the drive as it might as well be failing. After that I would try the drive on another port, with another cable and possibly on another system and see if the problem occurs again. The manufacturer of the drive should have a diagnostic tool provided that can give you some info regarding the drive's health. Also getting the raw values of the S.M.A.R.T. status should give you a more detailed picture of the drive's condition. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey there Thony,

I'd backup everything important from the drive as it might as well be failing. After that I would try the drive on another port, with another cable and possibly on another system and see if the problem occurs again. The manufacturer of the drive should have a diagnostic tool provided that can give you some info regarding the drive's health. Also getting the raw values of the S.M.A.R.T. status should give you a more detailed picture of the drive's condition. :)

Captain_WD.

Problem occuried randomly twice in 2 months, thats a long period for testing it with different system. But thank you for your input :)

Its a well known bug in the firmware with the Crucial drives. It happens when you reach a certain time period or maybe an amount written that it goes into these long garbage collection cycles and it isn't found on boot until it finishes them. Go to Crucial and get the latest firmware update and apply it and that will fix the problem.

I know your pain as I have the same drive and had this problem, I am 100% certain.

~snip~

The manufacturer's support should be able to provide adequate advice for this. Also posting the raw values of the S.M.A.R.T. status here would enable us to give you some more info on the drive's condition. Installing the latest OS, driver and firmware updates might also help as @BrightCandle suggested. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/