980ti strix oc one fan not spinning?

Cvdasfg
Go to solution Solved by Najuno,

Odd thing apparently. I ran the benchmark again and all three fans span.. came back awhile later and all three are off ( normal) started watching youtube and 2 started spinning again. Apparently the one near the I/O ports doesnt spin when the others do. Weird sense i cant find that happening anywhere or any reviews.

Ahh ok now that makes more sense :). I wasn´t really that worried because of the temps you described in Heaven. With a damaged fan your temps would have been higher. Now what you have here is not a glitch it is a feature.

The fan closest to the I/O is the part of the GPU with smallest amount of heat, that´s why this fan will only start under heavy load in other words real 3D applications such as demanding games and benchmarks. The explanation for that is that your middle fan cools directly the copper heatsink of your chip therefore it is the most important one and will likely spin as the first one of the three. The one towards the end of the card cools down your the VRM package. The one to the I/O shield just helps distribute the heat better when in 3D applications.

980ti strix oc one fan not spinning? I'm well aware that all three stop under a certain temperature but right now im looking into mt computer and only two out of three are spinning. Is this normal?

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

crank it up to 100% load and see if it turns on, if not, i would say you have a problem.

Current Build: Core i7 4790k @ 4.6, Asus Maximus VII Hero, Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz 8gb (2x4gb), GTX 980ti, NZXT Kraken X61, Fractal Define R5  EVGA Supernova B2 850w, Some 300gb hard drive.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/W7CNrH

980ti strix oc one fan not spinning? I'm well aware that all three stop under a certain temperature but right now im looking into mt computer and only two out of three are spinning. Is this normal?

put the fans at 100% and see if it spins........

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

In which application. I did some research about the card and found this article here

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_gtx_980_ti_strix_review,9.html

The temps shown there seem to match what you had also. Around 80°C.

EDIT: I checked your last topic and you ran Unigine Heaven and got up to 80°C. That´s not bad considering that Heaven is a really hard stress test on a GPU. Can´t think of your card being damaged.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

In which application. I did some research about the card and found this article here

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_gtx_980_ti_strix_review,9.html

The temps shown there seem to match what you had also. Around 80°C.

EDIT: I checked your last topic and you ran Unigine Heaven and got up to 80°C. That´s not bad considering that Heaven is a really hard stress test on a GPU. Can´t think of your card being damaged.

Odd thing apparently. I ran the benchmark again and all three fans span.. came back awhile later and all three are off ( normal) started watching youtube and 2 started spinning again. Apparently the one near the I/O ports doesnt spin when the others do. Weird sense i cant find that happening anywhere or any reviews.

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

Ahh ok now that makes more sense :). I wasn´t really that worried because of the temps you described in Heaven. With a damaged fan your temps would have been higher. Now what you have here is not a glitch it is a feature.

The fan closest to the I/O is the part of the GPU with smallest amount of heat, that´s why this fan will only start under heavy load in other words real 3D applications such as demanding games and benchmarks. The explanation for that is that your middle fan cools directly the copper heatsink of your chip therefore it is the most important one and will likely spin as the first one of the three. The one towards the end of the card cools down your the VRM package. The one to the I/O shield just helps distribute the heat better when in 3D applications.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Very cool and makes perfect sense :)

onXtk6P.jpg

Very cool and makes perfect sense :)

onXtk6P.jpg

Yeah it took me a bit to figure it out, but after all it´s clear because it is a Asus STRIX, they try to keep it as quiet as possible. And only if all power is needed it will turn on the 'noise' hehe.

Yeah it took me a bit to figure it out, but after all it´s clear because it is a Asus STRIX, they try to keep it as quiet as possible. And only if all power is needed it will turn on the 'noise' hehe.

Yeah its a pretty neat feature. Just took me by surprise when i saw it. I expected them all to be either on or off.... not a combo lol

Yeah its a pretty neat feature. Just took me by surprise when i saw it. I expected them all to be either on or off.... not a combo lol

https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/STRIXGTX980TIDC3OC6GD5GAMING/

This is the Asus site here and there you can see how the card is put together :).