Re-Installing Windows on an SSD?

Re-Code
Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,

~snip~

Hey there Re-Code :) Welcome to the community! 

I would suggest running a diagnostic tool from your manufacturer first to see if the drive is functioning properly or if it has a problem. The test should give you a pretty good idea if the drive is healthy or not. You should be completely fine reinstalling your OS as this may clear some errors and bad software that has accumulated. 

SSDs do have a limited amount of write cycles after which it becomes a read-only drive (the nature of SSDs). But this causes problems if the SSD is a boot drive as the OS constantly writes small portions of data to the drive and if it's not able to do so it crashes. Those cycle counts are pretty high so not many regular consumers reach them so I wouldn't worry about that. :)

Captain_WD.

So, I have a 240GB SSD from Kingston for close to a year now, and its been acting a bit slow lately (e.g not my usual speed). I have a source to backup my data, but I heard that the more data you write and erase from an SSD, the quicker it will die. Is it worth it worth it to re-install? 

Thanks in advance.

Well, the lifespan of SSDs is counted in petabytes. Feel free to re-install all you want. ;)

SSDs do have a limited number of writes, but you are completely fine reinstalling your OS.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

So, I have a 240GB SSD from Kingston for close to a year now, and its been acting a bit slow lately (e.g not my usual speed). I have a source to backup my data, but I heard that the more data you write and erase from an SSD, the quicker it will die. Is it worth it worth it to re-install? 

Thanks in advance.

While what you said is true and they do have a limit as far as read/writes go youll upgrade far before it dies ( most of the time). These things are meant to last a extremely long time and will most likely die to power surge, physical damage, or being upgraded far before they would die on there own.

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

While what you said is true and they do have a limit as far as read/writes go youll upgrade far before it dies ( most of the time). These things are meant to last a extremely long time and will most likely die to power surge, physical damage, or being upgraded far before they would die on there own.

SSDs can be read an unlimited number of times, assuming everything else is still functional.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

SSDs can be read an unlimited number of times, assuming everything else is still functional.

So they have unlimited reads but not writes? ( assuming everything is fine) interesting. Never knew that.

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

~snip~

Hey there Re-Code :) Welcome to the community! 

I would suggest running a diagnostic tool from your manufacturer first to see if the drive is functioning properly or if it has a problem. The test should give you a pretty good idea if the drive is healthy or not. You should be completely fine reinstalling your OS as this may clear some errors and bad software that has accumulated. 

SSDs do have a limited amount of write cycles after which it becomes a read-only drive (the nature of SSDs). But this causes problems if the SSD is a boot drive as the OS constantly writes small portions of data to the drive and if it's not able to do so it crashes. Those cycle counts are pretty high so not many regular consumers reach them so I wouldn't worry about that. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/