Help Building My First Gaming PC

Go to solution Solved by N64CUBE,

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zbDdZL
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zbDdZL/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($254.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($27.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2800 Memory  ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB Video Card  ($423.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 530 (Red) ATX Full Tower Case  ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($134.90 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: BenQ GW2765HT 60Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($349.00 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: SteelSeries Apex [RAW] Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($51.47 @ Amazon)
Mouse: SteelSeries Rival Wired Optical Mouse  ($59.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1854.26
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-01 16:06 EST-0500

Went a little under the budget so you can buy a few cheap leds to light it up, besides, it's hard to get better than this.

Hello,

I'll keep this short as I would like the most input from this community as possible. I am a new member to this community and I need help in fully building an assembling my first GAMING tower. I have done updates here and there on pre-built PC's but never built my own.

What I ask is can anyone point me to both a parts list and guide to build a the best gaming set up possible with in my budget. Keep in mind that both parts for my PC and any necessary peripherals are part of the max budget. NOTE: peripherals aside from the monitor are secondary here, I want a good PC and monitor the rest can come later.

BUDGET: No greater than 2000 dollars US 

THANK YOU FOR ALL WHO HELP :)

Depends what you're going for really... What do you primarily play? Any prefference of Intel/AMD or Nvidia/AMD?

Man is still the most extraordinary computer of all.

John F. Kennedy

In terms of that budget ill go with

Intel i5/i7 Skylake K series processors and a GTX 980 for the videocard I know the rest will help you so ill leave the rest to them

Intel Core i5 - 6400 <> Msi B150A Gaming Pro <> Msi Gtx 970 Gaming <> G.Skill Ripjaw 4 16Gb DDR4 2400mhz

<> Corsair CX500M <> 160 & 250 Seagate HDD <> Aerocool Strike X (Casing) <>

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6dq8D3 Something like this would be the best possible tower for that budget, then obviously you can tweak it depending on which version of windows you prefer/ if you dont like the case, and possibly downgrade the GPU to a regular 980 if you wanter a better monitor.

CPU: i7 4790k @4.6Ghz Motherboard: MSI z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz DDR3 Case: NZXT Phantom 410 GPU: MSI GTX 980ti Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX PSU: Corsair 600w OS: Windows 8.1 Keyboard: Razer Deathstalker Elite Mouse: R.A.T 7 Monitors: Asus Pb287q (4k) + Asus VS239HV (1080p)

Depends what you're going for really... What do you primarily play? Any prefference of Intel/AMD or Nvidia/AMD?

Any and all things from relatively unintensive games like minecraft to AAA titles Fallout, Bioshock , Witcher and the like.

Also, in terms of actually building it, watch some of LTTs videos on youtube, they build quite a lot of PCs on there. and i would recommend having someone with you when your building it because some parts like the liquid coolers are quite difficult to mount by yourself.

CPU: i7 4790k @4.6Ghz Motherboard: MSI z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz DDR3 Case: NZXT Phantom 410 GPU: MSI GTX 980ti Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX PSU: Corsair 600w OS: Windows 8.1 Keyboard: Razer Deathstalker Elite Mouse: R.A.T 7 Monitors: Asus Pb287q (4k) + Asus VS239HV (1080p)

Any colors you want in the build before I start?

I have a fondness for a black and red look, but any contemporary looking build I'll be more than happy with :)

What kind of games do you play? Csgo or lol? trying to pick out a monitor.

Any and all things from relatively unintensive games like minecraft to AAA titles Fallout, Bioshock , Witcher and the like. Not super into MMO's but play them occasionally, same with FPS's. Mostly into RPG's, but again play everything occasionally.  

oh and do you need windows?

Yes windows 10 ideally because I don't want to go back to the abomination of windows 8

Yes windows 10 ideally because I don't want to go back to the abomination of windows 8

I would honestly recommend buying a copy of windows 8/7 just so you have the choice to backdate from windows 10 if you need to, i had a pc that simply would not get on with windows 10 whatsoever, and even when all drivers were updated and correct, it would still get tons of bsods caused by windows 10, so i backdated it to windows 7 and it was fine, its always good to have the option to backdate just in case :)

I would honestly recommend buying a copy of windows 8/7 just so you have the choice to backdate from windows 10 if you need to, i had a pc that simply would not get on with windows 10 whatsoever, and even when all drivers were updated and correct, it would still get tons of bsods caused by windows 10, so i backdated it to windows 7 and it was fine, its always good to have the option to backdate just in case

My buddie has a copy of windows 7 that he used when he did an update to his computer from a few month before windows 10 was released i believe he bought a licence for 3 pc's but only used one I will ask him about it if not I'll go ahead an get a copy my self but that would be aside from the budget, but thank you for the tip :) 

Headphones/speakers?

Bit of an audiophile along with loving computers so no need for that, I have a few sets of headphones and speakers that are my main stay but thank you :)

I'm trying to decide between ips or 144hz

I would probably value ips as im not a super competitive gamer so max refresh rates are not necessary. Also this might be asking too much but I would really like to fit in a 1440p if possible. Although 4k would be overkill and not really necessary, but a 1440p would be nice :) 

Sorry I had to go then I was at school. I'm home now I'll continue working on this.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($27.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2800 Memory  ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($134.90 @ Amazon)

Went a little under the budget so you can buy a few cheap leds to light it up, besides, it's hard to get better than this.

Thank you so much will look a little more into the assembly of this rig but thanks look forward to building this :)

Thank you so much will look a little more into the assembly of this rig but thanks look forward to building this :)

Let me know how it works out!