What should I buy?

I currently just have a 7200 rpm 1tb WD HDD but it cant handle recording at 1080p 60fps. I am wondering what would be the cheapest thing I can get that would be fast enough to record 1080p 60 fps? (an also be ok quality/lifespan wise)

Thanks for the help  :)

Don't record from one harddrive onto the same. Try to run whatever you're recording with off your boot drive, then record the footage to another mass storage drive.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Don't record from one harddrive onto the same. Try to run whatever you're recording with off your boot drive, then record the footage to another mass storage drive.

I only have one harddrive. So I could get any other harddrive at 7200 and be able to record at the quality and frame rate im looking for?

I only have one harddrive. So I could get any other harddrive at 7200 and be able to record at the quality and frame rate im looking for?

Possibly. It all depends on the game, recording program, and specs.

All I know was back in the day I was bottlenecking on my old rig running EVERYTHING off one hard drive. Since I got 3 I've had 0 problems recording.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

~snip~

Hey there BunnyHunter67,

What WD drive are you using? As @Statik explained it would be better if you run your game off one storage drive and record your gameplay onto another storage drive. If you are looking for a good and fast drive I would recommend WD Black as it delivers great performance and performs well in multitasking: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=fUxlKE

Do have in mind that gaming relies on the storage's performance only for the loading times and autosaves. FPS and graphics are generally not affected. It would really depend if the game needs to load huge texture packs while in-game (those games are usually MMOs and open world games) that the drive will be under load or not. :)

Captain_WD.

PS: The connection between OP's nickname and the avatar of Statik is just too good!

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey there BunnyHunter67,

What WD drive are you using? 

Turns out I dont have a WD drive. I have a Seagate Barracuda. So a WD black would be fast enough for 1080p 60fps?

~snip~

Yes, WD Black should be fully capable of recording gameplay at these particular settings. :)
Pretty much any modern drive should be able to do it unless you are playing a more demanding game from it at the same time. I would suggest defragmenting your current drive, cleaning it up with the build-it OS tool and see if there's an improvement. Otherwise I would also suggest running a game from a different drive than the one that you are recording to. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/