Can I still use this hard drive?

superjuddy
Go to solution Solved by Tmt97,

I was meaning if I could even try to use the 8 pins over to the right of the sata pins to get power to it and try it or to take it somewhere and get the data moved to another drive.

I don't want the drive fixed because of me being poor or anything theres files on it that I would really like to have back.

I'm pretty sure that someone could get the data off it at the very least. Even if you broke the pins, and fried the PCB, the platters should be fine. As far as the other pins, that's not really gonna work, sorry. Either you try to bend the pins back in place and hope for the best, or take it to someone to save the data.

A while ago my wd blue 1tb drive broke this plastic thing that held one of the cables in place and it was usable if i just stuck the cable on without moving the hard drive. One day I accidently moved my computer or hard drive or something and there was a spark and the pins burnt and bent somewhat.

I was wondering if this is just a power cable thing and if i can use the other 8 pins away from the cables that arent broken for power or something.

Alll the sata cables I see are the size of the smaller pin area so i'm hoping that that is what gets the data and i can use the other cable for power or something.

Thanks in ahead if someone can help me.

post-253852-0-68708700-1448931928_thumb.

post-253852-0-13189300-1448937047.jpg

no thats completely wrecked

if you want to use that drive again it will need a new PCB, which will probably cost as much as a new drive

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If you saw sparks or smoke or something, you may have damaged it (other than the obvious pins). So I don't think so.

I was meaning if I could even try to use the 8 pins over to the right of the sata pins to get power to it and try it or to take it somewhere and get the data moved to another drive.

I don't want the drive fixed because of me being poor or anything theres files on it that I would really like to have back.

If you saw sparks or smoke or something, you may have damaged it (other than the obvious pins). So I don't think so.

no thats completely wrecked

if you want to use that drive again it will need a new PCB, which will probably cost as much as a new drive

Its not likely that will work, but you could try bending the pins back into their original position. Its a longshot, and it would be a pain to do, but there is a chance that if the pins are just bent and not broken, and if the spark didn't damage the PCB, that it might actually work fine...

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

what 8 pins?

are you talking about the bent stuff?

there should be 15 pins there not 8

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I'm pretty sure that someone could get the data off it at the very least. Even if you broke the pins, and fried the PCB, the platters should be fine. As far as the other pins, that's not really gonna work, sorry. Either you try to bend the pins back in place and hope for the best, or take it to someone to save the data.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

wouldn't the recovery be costly?

Possibly, but he asked if it could be done, not how much it would cost lol.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

unless its 100+ the files on it are worth the price. 

Its not likely that will work, but you could try bending the pins back into their original position. Its a longshot, and it would be a pain to do, but there is a chance that if the pins are just bent and not broken, and if the spark didn't damage the PCB, that it might actually work fine...

Could I just go buy a new pcb from somewhere and use that?

Oh yeah, you can absolutely still use that drive.

It'll make a super effective paperweight.

Put in in a tube sock and it'll make a great short range weapon.

It might make for a pretty crappy frisbee, but it'll be a decent door stop.

Or you could just prop it up on your desk and use it as constant reminder of how NOT to use technology.

Seriously though; you can try buying the exact same model, swapping out the PCB, get your files moved off that drive and then putting the PCB back onto the drive you just bought. It might work, or it might not; hard to say.

Make sure you post pics if you try that. If that's the kind of work you manage when you try plugging in a power cable, I can't wait to see what kind of spectacular things happen when you try swapping out PCBs! lol 

unless its 100+ the files on it are worth the price. 

I doubt it is around that range tho.

Best option is to order a PCB board replacement from spare parts shop.

It must match the same model as your current HDD