fans in row?

I KNOW! I know, I know its a troll video!
I'm speaking of the one Tom Logan did with the 40 fans on the h100.
But my question is, can anyone tell me if there actually would be any performance benefits of, lets say putting 6 or 12 Noctua nf-s12a pwm(the silent one), on a 3x120x80 rad?

post-289887-0-99556100-1448933888.png

edit: reason for asking is i maybe got a build on a case that would give me the room to do it :D and then only run the whole cpu+gpu on that radiator, instead of running 2 radiators.  

No

Main PC: i5 4590 @ 3.5 GHz ♦ RX 480 Armor OC ♦ 16 GB DDR3 ♦ GA-Z97-HD3 ♦ 120 GB 840 EVO ♦ 120 GB Intel 520 ♦ W10 Home

Scrapyard PC: Xeon X5460 @ 3.8 GHz ♦ HD 7870 ♦ 8 GB DDR2 ♦ GA-P35-DS3L ♦ 80 GB Intel 320 ♦ 160 GB WD Caviar SE ♦ W10 Home

But my question is, can anyone tell me if there actually would be any performance benefits of, lets say putting 6 or 12 Noctua nf-s12a pwm(the silent one), on a 3x120x80 rad?

attachicon.gifawesomepaintskills.png

edit: reason for asking is i maybe got a build on a case that would give me the room to do it :D and then only run the whole cpu+gpu on that radiator, instead of running 2 radiators.  

it comes to a point where all the fans on the back have the air blocked by the fans in the frount

watch the video

yeah thought so.. but was wondering about doing the push/pull with the lowest rpm on the s12a to get the least amount of noise, but get some pressure bonus from stacking, since the s12a is not as good for radiators as the f12 is... my question actually comes down to this, 6xs12a doing push/pull vs 3 f12 doing pull.

edit: second quick question, is there really a big difference in the cooling performance from the s12a to the f12?  

yeah thought so.. but was wondering about doing the push/pull with the lowest rpm on the s12a to get the least amount of noise, but get some pressure bonus from stacking, since the s12a is not as good for radiators as the f12 is... my question actually comes down to this, 6xs12a doing push/pull vs 3 f12 doing pull.

no

no

not really answering my question :) "my question actually comes down to this, 6xs12a doing push/pull vs 3 f12 doing pull."

All the fans do is move air, they don't create it. Adding a fan on top of another one won't do anything but create more noise.

not really answering my question :)

dont put 50,000 fans on ur rad xD

max, 6 fans for a 360

push pull,

more than 6, all your doing is creating more noise, and spending $70 more for 2 degrees cooler temps

edit: second quick question, is there really a big difference in the cooling performance from the s12a to the f12?  

you would still get additional noise from adding more fans

even though each fan produces a lower db, more fans still add to the db level

the best thing to do is buy quiet fans that have good static pressure

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

you would still get additional noise from adding more fans

even though each fan produces a lower db, more fans still add to the db level

the best thing to do is buy quiet fans that have good static pressure

bequiet!

aight aight cool :) one last question then, 6xs12a vs 3f12? 

and Kloaked i know they don't create more air xD, but was wondering if running on lowest rpm, if they would add more pressure :)  Nvm Enderman to the rescue

i was looking at the bequiet, but the price on them is waaaay more expensive than the noctua in my country that is. 

aight aight cool :) one last question then, 6xs12a vs 3f12? 

and Kloaked i know they don't create more air xD, but was wondering if running on lowest rpm, if they would add more pressure :)  Nvm Enderman to the rescue

noctua is also good, corsir too, make sure to put static pressure fans in push and pull, 6xs12a

bequiet!

lol

i get the joke ;)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

attachicon.gifawesomepaintskills.png

No. Additional fans just cause internal ones to spin with minimal resistance whatsoever and won't notably help airflow.

In fact, with liquid pumps this effect often causes the second pump to cavitate which is a huge issue. You need at least a bit of resistance between them or they don't work efficiently.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Well sorry for not having English as my native language but "cavitate"? yes i did google the word, but in the context of liquid cooling, i don't get it :D could you dumb it down? really wanna avoid doing something you call a huge issue ;)  

Well sorry for not having English as my native language but "cavitate"? yes i did google the word, but in the context of liquid cooling, i don't get it :D could you dumb it down? really wanna avoid doing something you call a huge issue ;)  

Basically the pumping fluid is pumped too quickly around the motor and the pump begins moving gas instead, and without the proper lubrication and resistance from the pumping fluid the pump gets fucked up and dies extremely quickly (like you can kill a 10000 dollar pump in 5 seconds with cavitation). There are other issues as well.

Now air being a gas doesn't cavitate, but it still isn't great for the motor to be spinning without resistance.

http://blog.craneengineering.net/what-is-pump-cavitation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavitation#Pumps_and_propellers

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

ah, well then i do know what it is, and yes thats a very huge issue that should be avoided :) but thanks for clearing it out, better safe than sorry! especially when it comes to h2o and our lovely hardware  

You never change the surface area of the radiator. The cooling performance different is next to 0. Unless your fan have issue to push that radiator, then you should use high pressure and high speed fans or maybe change the radiator. 

that's some good testing right there :) thanks for the links!

again, as i said in the beginning. the reason for asking is that i got the space to do something like this :)