Is CPU kill?

So, last night, I am updating my BIOS using the MSI Live Update software, when I start to smell burning plastic.  Looked down at my PC, and holy smokes, its smoking!  Unplug that bad boy right away, and open the case to be greeted by a mosfet which is toast.   Obviously, motherboard is kill (MSI 970A SLI Krait Edition).  First, I thought my PSU was the bad guy, so I borrowed one of my friend's extra (working) power supplies.  I hook all my stuff up to my old, Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 (which I had upgraded from a month ago), and I get no video output.  Weird.. so I tried to remove the GPU and use integrated graphics.  Nothing.  Stripped it down to the core, with just the motherboard and the fan for my 212 Evo hooked up to the PSU via the 8-pin and 24-pin connectors.  Nothing.  Start playing with the RAM, seeing if it fits it certain slots, different variations, nothing.  No beeps.  No video output on HDMI or VGA from integrated, or DisplayPort or HDMI from GPU.

So, my question: is CPU kill?  Or did PSU kill 2 motherboards?

Specs:

GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti

CPU: FX-8350 @ 4.0GHz (stock) with 212 Evo cooler

PSU: Corsair RM750i

Mobos: MSI 970A SLI Krait Edition and then Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3

RAM: 16 GB (2x8GB) HyperX Fury

Storage: 2 SSDs and 2 HDDs

12305506_10206201049239873_747223067_n.j

You don't have an iGPU in an FX chip.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

So, last night, I am updating my BIOS using the MSI Live Update software, when I start to smell burning plastic.  Looked down at my PC, and holy smokes, its smoking!  Unplug that bad boy right away, and open the case to be greeted by a mosfet which is toast.   Obviously, motherboard is kill (MSI 970A SLI Krait Edition).  First, I thought my PSU was the bad guy, so I borrowed one of my friend's extra (working) power supplies.  I hook all my stuff up to my old, Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 (which I had upgraded from a month ago), and I get no video output.  Weird.. so I tried to remove the GPU and use integrated graphics.  Nothing.  Stripped it down to the core, with just the motherboard and the fan for my 212 Evo hooked up to the PSU via the 8-pin and 24-pin connectors.  Nothing.  Start playing with the RAM, seeing if it fits it certain slots, different variations, nothing.  No beeps.  No video output on HDMI or VGA from integrated, or DisplayPort or HDMI from GPU.

Specs:

Well that motherboard can and will catch fire with an FX 9590....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Specs:

The FX CPU's don't have a iGPU so they can't output a display, however I'm guessing the problem in this case may be your CPU / MOBO.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

You don't have an iGPU in an FX chip.

FX series from AMD DOES NOT have integrated graphics at all.

So why don't you try another graphics card to see if it post at all.

RIP, shoulda picked up a GPU from my friend....  But why won't it show up with my current GPU then?

why did you update the BIOS.....

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

RIP, shoulda picked up a GPU from my friend.... But why won't it show up with my current GPU then?

Because the board may be kill along with either the CPU or GPU, likely the CPU. CPU might be kill.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

why did you update the BIOS.....

The MSI software said I had an update... I am asking myself the same thing now though.

That board + FX-9590 = much toastiness.

Nevermind. Misread based on a later post.

Diregard this.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

Because the board may be kill along with either the CPU or GPU, likely the CPU. CPU might be kill.

I pray to every diety that it is CPU, need to upgrade that POS anyway.  Should I bring it into my local PC shop to see if they can test it out?

he has a 8350....

And that motherboard can't even safely handle a stock FX 8350.

PMSL

The MSI software said I had an update... I am asking myself the same thing now though.

you should NEVER update BIOS unless there is a specific reason you need to do so, like installing an unsupported CPU

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

RIP, shoulda picked up a GPU from my friend....  But why won't it show up with my current GPU then?

If it is your PSU that died, than it might have killed everything else in your system. 

So there is also a chance where your motherboard is the only one that went up in smokes and might have killed the CPU as well. 

Yep. No 970 chipset motherboard can really handle anything above the 8320 since 99% of 970 mobos are budget oriented.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.6 GHz

Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB @ 1903 MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X @ 1100 / 7030 MHz
Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D with the Ghetto LED 5000 lighting kit
Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Display: Dell P2415Q
Cooling: Corsair H100i
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB (Cherry MX Reds)
Mouse: Sharkk MMO Pro

Spoiler
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2PT
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2
G.Skill Value 8 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master N200
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Insignia 300W
Windows 7 Enterprise

Spoiler
Intel Core i3 3240
Asus P8Z77-V LX
4790K stock cooler with Cooler Master HTK-002 thermal paste
Corsair XMS3 4 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master HAF 912
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Thermaltake TR2 430W
Windows 10 Pro

http://www.overclock.net/t/946407/amd-motherboards-vrm-info-database

the Gigabyte board should handle it according to users here who have researched the actual VRMs and caps in use...

MSI krait is 4+1 so well... prolly not.

MSI isnt known to make the best AMD boards (contrary with Intel where they have very good boards)

you should NEVER update BIOS unless there is a specific reason you need to do so, like installing an unsupported CPU

Damn.. Didn't konw that.  I'll keep that in mind for future reference.  But the update never finished, it was partway through when my tower started looking more like a chimney than a computer.

If it is your PSU that died, than it might have killed everything else in your system. 

So there is also a chance where your motherboard is the only one that went up in smokes and might have killed the CPU as well. 

I really don't think my PSU died, when I tried to boot on another board, all the fans were spinning, and the LED on the GPU came on.  I could be wrong of course.

http://www.overclock.net/t/946407/amd-motherboards-vrm-info-database

the Gigabyte board should handle it according to users here who have researched the actual VRMs and caps in use...

MSI krait is 4+1 so well... prolly not.

MSI isnt known to make the best AMD boards (contrary with Intel where they have very good boards)

Most of MSI's problem is the quality of the components isn't as high as they'd have people believe.

PMSL

Most of MSI's problem is the quality of the components isn't as high as they'd have people believe.

mhm

if ever in question about AM3+ boards, check that thread. They have litterally researched the caps, chokes and VRMs of all the AM3+ boards listed there. There is a few boards missing, but if you can guess which board the missing ones are based on, you can guess how much the boards can handle....