What should I do with mom's old PC?

mchllatham03

Hey guys, 

My mom just bought a new laptop a few weeks ago and gave me her old desktop and monitor.  I put the monitor on my desk and i'm loving the dual monitor setup I have now even though the resolutions are not the same.  I'm kind of at a loss on what to do with the old pc.  I cleaned it up and loaded windows 10 on it just to see if the old 2 core e2180 could handle it. (it came running windows vista).

Here's what it has:

Intel E2180 CPU at 2.0 Ghz with stock cooler

2Gb DDR2 RAM

Integrated Graphics

320Gb HDD

DVD Drive

SD Card Reader

I already have a great performing desktop and I'm using my old mac mini as a HTPC/Plex Server.  So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Here are a few pictures:

Sorry for the picture quality, my wife took the nice camera with her today so I had to take these pics with my nexus 5x and compress them on the computer.

post-72245-0-14658600-1448750161_thumb.j

post-72245-0-08259100-1448750173_thumb.j

post-72245-0-28595800-1448750188_thumb.j

post-72245-0-46169700-1448750216_thumb.j

post-72245-0-54950200-1448750304_thumb.j

nas

guest pc

ghetto gaming rig with a q6600 and a 7850-

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

Small server for experimental stuff? Like a webserver for messing around? 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

Hey guys, 

My mom just bought a new laptop a few weeks ago and gave me her old desktop and monitor.  I put the monitor on my desk and i'm loving the dual monitor setup I have now even though the resolutions are not the same.  I'm kind of at a loss on what to do with the old pc.  I cleaned it up and loaded windows 10 on it just to see if the old 2 core e2180 could handle it. (it came running windows vista).

Here's what it has:

Intel E2180 CPU at 2.0 Ghz with stock cooler

2Gb DDR2 RAM

Integrated Graphics

320Gb HDD

DVD Drive

SD Card Reader

I already have a great performing desktop and I'm using my old mac mini as a HTPC/Plex Server.  So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Here are a few pictures:

Sorry for the picture quality, my wife took the nice camera with her today so I had to take these pics with my nexus 5x and compress them on the computer.

<pics removed for clarity>

The CPU is not powerful enough for a NAS, and you don't really have much storage potential.  So skip that.

The integrated graphics won't be able to handle any home theatre work...so

Add a GTX 750 ti and make a home theater PC  :)

Folding For Linus since July 2015

Give a Q6600 and any low profile GPU and have a media center PC. I'd recommend a GTX 750ti, it would turn it into a pretty capable little gaming machine actually.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

I would salvage parts for my computer, like the hard drive, RAM, optical drive and more. Here is a good video by AwesomeSauce Network explaining it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdfFpGhoOqk

CPU:Intel i5 4690k GPU:EVGA GTX 970 SSC Motherboard:MSI Z97 G45 RAM:Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB PSU:Corsair CX600M SSD:Crucial MX100 256GB HDD:Seagate 3TB Case:Corsair SPEC-02

-snip-

maybe a new router? like with pfsense

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

Put an SSD in it and put Ubuntu on it and it will run pretty smoothly

Got an Android, never going back to apple again (notice I spelled apple with a lowercase and Android with an uppercase)

One of the contractors we have at work builds computers from salvage (unwanted) parts and donates them to women's shelters, schools, etc.

GW2: Vettexl.9726

sell it on ebay for $50 and buy an SSD, a new ram kit, or something else useful.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460; MOBO: ASRock H97M-PRO4; RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 @ 1600MHz; SSD: A-Data SP600 128GB; HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB; GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB; PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W; Case: Thermaltake Core V21 w/ AF140 blue LED fan (exhaust); Monitor: Acer H226HQLBid 21.5" 60Hz 5ms IPS (GTG) HDMI

You could grab a q6600 for $20 on eBay and then either add a GPU for gaming or just use it for BOINC/Folding

Main PC: i5 4590 @ 3.5 GHz ♦ RX 480 Armor OC ♦ 16 GB DDR3 ♦ GA-Z97-HD3 ♦ 120 GB 840 EVO ♦ 120 GB Intel 520 ♦ W10 Home

Scrapyard PC: Xeon X5460 @ 3.8 GHz ♦ HD 7870 ♦ 8 GB DDR2 ♦ GA-P35-DS3L ♦ 80 GB Intel 320 ♦ 160 GB WD Caviar SE ♦ W10 Home

Wipe the hard drives so her nudes don't leak!

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

Whatever you do, for christ's sakes, replace that damn power supply. 

Welcome to LTT! Feel free to PM me if you just wanna chat, I love conversation!

If you ever have any audio questions, wether it's software, hardware, or production and theory, feel free to ask me. Odds are I can help you, or get you help. 

Clean it and build a NAS out of it.

Whatever you do, for christ's sakes, replace that damn power supply.

Those models of Bestecs are actually well built, not to mention replacements are expensive due to the form factor.

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

Those models of Bestecs are actually well built, not to mention replacements are expensive due to the form factor.

Hm. Never heard of the company. I'll take your word though. 

Welcome to LTT! Feel free to PM me if you just wanna chat, I love conversation!

If you ever have any audio questions, wether it's software, hardware, or production and theory, feel free to ask me. Odds are I can help you, or get you help. 

I have this exact same computer and one that has a core 2 duo in the other. Not sure what to do with them either.

Once again, thank you for all the suggestions.  I will definitely do something with it, not sure what just yet. I can always count on this forum for tech help... and only one person talked about my mom... Not bad.

Hm. Never heard of the company. I'll take your word though.

Ya they had a revision that was used in HP's and Compaq's in the early 00s that would go out with a bang, they quickly fixed that though and actually have had good luck with them since in terms of pre-builts.

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City