i5 Skylake or i7 Haswell for Gaming?

BJH

Hey guys, i'm going to be doing a new build for Christmas, and was wondering, since I am starting fresh with all of the parts, should I go with the older haswell i7-4790k, or the new i5 6600k.

The reason I am struggling to decide is because since it is a brand new build, I feel as if I should try to get the latest chip-set as possible, since this will of course be "outdated" less quickly, but at the same time, the performance of the i7 4790k, even though older, seems just as good if not better than the i5, with the addition of hyper-threading too, which may be useful even if I don't really think I will need it that much.

tl;dr: At the moment, the i5 is cheaper than the i7, even with the i7 being on sale. Due to the prices of DDR4 ram though, and a slightly pricier motherboard, both builds are near enough identical in price. So my question is, i5 6600k and DDR4, or i7 4790k, and DDR3, older gen. 

I seem to have my mind set on the i5 after watching

video comparing them for gaming, and I have read that the i5 overclocks like a beast. Even so, opinions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.  :P

i5 planned parts: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/8Z38D3

i7 planned parts: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Hs8VVn

NZXT H440+ 2015 Edition (Black/White) || i7 6700k @ 4Ghz || NZXT Kraken X61 Liquid Cooler || EVGA GTX 980ti SC || 16GB Kingston HyperX 2666MHz DDR4 || MSI Krait Gaming Z170A Motherboard || EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Modular || Corsair M65 RGB Mouse || Kingston HyperX Cloud Gaming Headset (White) || Steelseries Apex Raw Keyboard ||  Acer XB240H 1080p 144hz 24'' GSYNC Display || Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

I would say i5 because it does "futureproof" the ram and an i7 is just overkill for everything.

I like Computer Stuffs. Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it in again? Automation Expert (Bots, scripts, etc)! Add me on Xbox Live: JollyPlanet449 And on Steam!: Baxtmann Wanshow.tips is a cool place too

I'd probably get the i5 because 1) it's newer 2) if you're only gaming and not doing massive amounts of streaming or professional work you won't need the extra oomph of power.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

I'd personally get the i7 (and actually have it) but that was because it is a higher binned chip and I didn't plan to get a good cooler to allow for a large enough OC on an i5 so it could compete, with the cooler i5

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/bNCD99

fixed your ram choice.

And fix your ram as manikyath said

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/bNCD99

fixed your ram choice.

Ahh, the reason behind the RAM is because I like the look of it, and the reason for the 2 lots of 8GB is because i really want half white fury RAM half black, but there is no white DDR4 at the  moment so it was kind of a place holder  :P That RAM looks good though, will consider it  ^_^

NZXT H440+ 2015 Edition (Black/White) || i7 6700k @ 4Ghz || NZXT Kraken X61 Liquid Cooler || EVGA GTX 980ti SC || 16GB Kingston HyperX 2666MHz DDR4 || MSI Krait Gaming Z170A Motherboard || EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Modular || Corsair M65 RGB Mouse || Kingston HyperX Cloud Gaming Headset (White) || Steelseries Apex Raw Keyboard ||  Acer XB240H 1080p 144hz 24'' GSYNC Display || Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

I'd personally get the i7 (and actually have it) but that was because it is a higher binned chip and I didn't plan to get a good cooler to allow for a large enough OC on an i5 so it could compete, with the cooler i5

And fix your ram as manikyath said

I can see the pros to getting the i7. I just don't like the idea still of buying an outdated gen chip  :(  Tough choices, haha.

Ahh, the reason behind the RAM is because I like the look of it, and the reason for the 2 lots of 8GB is because i really want half white fury RAM half black, but there is no white DDR4 at the  moment so it was kind of a place holder  :P That RAM looks good though, will consider it  ^_^

well.. you could populate 4 sticks now, and be forced to throw away at least half of them when you want to upgrade, or you could populate 2 sticks, and have room for upgrade.

(nothing is stopping you from sourcing 2 dummies in whatever color you want for the other 2 slots)

Buying a Core i7 for gaming is like buying a Learjet if you want to fly.

I see what you mean, but when you take into account they are roughly the same price since this i7 is older gen, and some games utilize hyper threading a fair bit (I think?), it makes the decision a lot harder  :(

I just brought a i7 6700 skylake for gaming... lol

Wow this was old as heck, Need to update this signature!

I can see the pros to getting the i7. I just don't like the idea still of buying an outdated gen chip  :(  Tough choices, haha.

Like I said with the cooler get the i5

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I see what you mean, but when you take into account they are roughly the same price since this i7 is older gen, and some games utilize hyper threading a fair bit (I think?), it makes the decision a lot harder  :(

Yeah, well if the Core i7 is a reasonable price then it should be fine. But if there's a massive price difference between the Core i5 and Core i7 then the Core i5 is always the pick for the higher value for gaming.

well.. you could populate 4 sticks now, and be forced to throw away at least half of them when you want to upgrade, or you could populate 2 sticks, and have room for upgrade.

(nothing is stopping you from sourcing 2 dummies in whatever color you want for the other 2 slots)

I wasn't going to buy both sets, I was just adding them separately to see where the price would take me  :P I will either stick with 8GB (2 sticks of black) until the white is released, or just buy the 16GB of black and just keep that, depending on how long I will be waiting. Hopefully they announce other colour FURY DDR4 soon.

I just brought a i7 6700 skylake for gaming... lol

If you have the money man, then why not? The performance is beastly on that CPU!  :) I just can't justify paying that much just for playing games, but that's just me. If I had the money spare, I would go for it too.  ;)

Like I said with the cooler get the i5

It's looking like that is what I will do :) Do you know much about the h100i? I've heard it is good, but don't know if water cooling is even worth the price.

It's looking like that is what I will do :) Do you know much about the h100i? I've heard it is good, but don't know if water cooling is even worth the price.

Umm it seems to be well rated on the forum, however that being said a beefy air cooler would suffice, though the water cooler should be slightly better

If you have the money man, then why not? The performance is beastly on that CPU!  :) I just can't justify paying that much just for playing games, but that's just me. If I had the money spare, I would go for it too.  ;)

Yea its definitely a massive upgrade from my old AMD fx 6300, And the i7 should last me a long time before I have to upgrade

Wow this was old as heck, Need to update this signature!