[Intel Only] Hackintosh Guide

Wiz Khalifa

This tutorial will teach you how to install Mac OS X Snow Leopard on your PC. This is only for educational purposes and does not have a guarantee that your components will be fully supported. If you are planning to build a PC as your hackintosh please visit: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.ca/search/label/CustoMac. As far as I know, cards that are not supported are: AMD Radeon HD 6900s and 7000's (you can use your onboard graphics if you have them.) You cannot do this install on AMD CPUs.

Things you need:

Step 1: Making the Installer

Making the installer is a really simple task. All you have to do is download iBoot (link included) and burn it to a USB/DVD. This is easy if you have Windows 8 as it is all integrated.Make sure you unpack the iBoot file as you need the ISO file. If you have Windows 7 and under, you are going to have to install UltraISO: http://www.ezbsystems.com/dl1.php?file=uiso9_pe.exe. Make sure you run UltraISO as Administrator. In UltraISO, click on the "File" button at the top, then select "Open" and point to the iBoot ISO file and click "Open". Next, select on "Bootable" at the top and click "Write Disk Image". Select your DVD Drive/USB and click on "Write". After it completes, you are finished with the Installer. Before you do anything else, you must download Multibeast and Update Helper (link above). Put the files on a USB or some storage method.

Step 2: Prepping the Install:

If you are planning to install on a separate Hard Drive or on a different computer without Data/OS then skip this step.

You are going to have to partition your drive if you want to dual boot the computer. Your HDD must be partitioned to GUID in order for you to install Snow Leopard and continue. Navigate to Disk Management in Windows (Search in the Start Menu). Make sure you have backed up your files as you may lose them if the partitioning goes wrong. In DM, make a partition that you think is suitable for your hackintosh.

Step 3: Prepping BIOS

Now insert the iBoot USB/DVD into your computer. If you have an iBoot USB, then insert the Snow Leopard DVD into your disk drive. Reboot your computer and go into the BIOS. Make sure your SATA is configured as AHCI. Also make sure that the USB (if you are using a USB for iBoot) is the primary boot option or the DVD is primary (if you are using a DVD for iBoot). Save and exit the BIOS.

Step 4: Installing Snow Leopard:

You should enter iBoot which looks like this:http://img815.imageshack.us/img815/4732/iboot1st.jpg. If you are using a DVD, eject the DVD and place the Snow Leopard DVD inside. Press F5 and it should show you the Snow Leopard Disc. Select enter and you will begin booting into the Installer. Once it finished loading you will see this: http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQe6Vb11x6Z09talTziNu6uU15UuhjDsZ7rjTKXnI-4q2jYcPCb. Select your language to proceed with the install. At the top you will find the "Finder Bar" here, select Utilities and select Disk Utility. Here you can partition the drive specially for Mac. Select the drive you partitioned in Windows and format from whatever you formatted it to "Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)".Name it whatever you want. I usually name it Macintosh HD because that is what Apple names it. Select Apply. http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2011/07/20/DiskUtilitySnowLeopardPartition_270x230.png. After you formatted the partition, close disk utility and click "Continue". Continue up to the part where you choose where to install Snow Leopard. Choose the partition you formatted to and click continue. The installer usually takes about 10-15 minutes. Once the installer is finished, it will automatically restart.

Step 5: Installing Drivers and Updating:

You want to boot into iBoot. Now you will see your partition in the list. Insert the USB where you have the update and other files then boot into Snow Leopard. The first time you boot, you will be greeted and it will ask you to set a few things such as your user name etc. Once you get to the desktop, you will notice that there is low resolution and sound doesn't work and other things. This is where Multibeast comes in. Multibeast will help you install kexts (much like drivers in Windows) for your parts. When you open Multibeast, you will notice that it closes by itself. This is completely normal. Just open it again and continue. Click continue until it asks you to choose Hard Drive. choose the current OS X installation and continue. Now you will see a couple of options for install. https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-N8OwbuAxPFw/TxLLzlTca8I/AAAAAAAAACw/C7QVNKcEPog/s590/Snow%252520Leopard%252520MultiBeast%252520Settings.jpg Navigate to the USB where you have your DSDT and drag it to the desktop screen and rename it as DSDT.aml. Once you finish that, navigate back to Multibeast and select UserDSDT Install. Click on the empty box and look for drivers that match parts for your system. Things you should research first are things like the Ethernet model name on your motherboard (Realtek XXXX etc.) or your sound codec for your motherboard. (ALC 889 etc.). Once you choose your kexts, go ahead and start installing.Once you are finished, eject your iBoot CD and restart your machine. Now you should have the boot loader for you! Boot back into Snow Leopard. This time, install the 10.6.8 Combo Update you downloaded earlier and install it. At the end, it will tell you to reboot but don't reboot. Navigate to the Update-helper (Only for Sandy Bridge) and install that. After you are done, open Multibeast again and install the UserDSDT Install feature ONLY. Now reboot your machine and enter back into Snow Leopard. Now you should have a complete installed Hackintosh.

I will be giving a guide on how to install Mountain Lion later on.

If you have any questions feel free to ask below or ask on Twitter: @Asvin_S

Good Luck!

Khalifa Komputer

Intel Core i5 2500K, Gigabyte P67a-UD4-B3, Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM, Generic DVD Writer, Seagate Barracuda 360GB + 1TB, MSI Radeon HD 6950 Twin Frozr III 1GB @ 6970,Corsair TX650M PSU, Bitfenix Shinobi Window

-=Wiz Khalifa|TGOD=-

I could never get a definite answer, but I was planning on turning my laptop into a Hackintosh

It has a GT540M, which uses Optimus for switching graphics from dedicated to onboard. In this case, will the graphics card work in OSX?

I think you can install it on gt 540m. It's just that you can't use the Optimus feature. I can't be sure though, sorry about that. I suggest you try it.

Khalifa Komputer

Intel Core i5 2500K, Gigabyte P67a-UD4-B3, Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM, Generic DVD Writer, Seagate Barracuda 360GB + 1TB, MSI Radeon HD 6950 Twin Frozr III 1GB @ 6970,Corsair TX650M PSU, Bitfenix Shinobi Window

-=Wiz Khalifa|TGOD=-

I once tried to instal iOS on AMD and I started to boot the installer but it never got past the spinning apple sign.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I had Mac OSX on my AMD running.. flawles.. there were some Modded Iso for download a year ago :D cant find it -.-

CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.8GhZ  CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 UD3H  GPU: Asus ROG RX 480 8G OC Memory: 32GB Gskill Ares 2400Mhz  Storage: 2x Crucial M4 512GB SSD (raid0)  / 1TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W  Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (64 bit) Other: NZXT Hue+ LED Controller with 8 LED Strips for desk and PC lighting

I think what you mean is you got Hazard 10.6.2 right? I had an amd machine and I used that. I can't find it either though.

Khalifa Komputer

-=Wiz Khalifa|TGOD=-

I dont appreciate your name...

Lol same with me to you

Khalifa Komputer

-=Wiz Khalifa|TGOD=-

I realy would like to but a new SSD and put MAC on it and alternate with MAC and WIN 7.

Great Guide.

Thank you. When you get your ssd, make sure you format it to GUID ;)

Khalifa Komputer

-=Wiz Khalifa|TGOD=-

Or you could have a virtual Hackintosh using Virtualbox

Just follow this

Corsair 400R / Intel Core i7 2600K / MSI P67A-GD53 / 2 X MSI GeForce GTX 560Ti Twin Frozr II SLI / Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2x4GB) 1600Mhz

OCZ ZT 550W / Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo / Crucial M4 128GB (2x64GB RAID 0) / WD Caviar Green 1TB / Arctic Silver 5

Or you could have a virtual Hackintosh using Virtualbox Just follow this

Would the virtual OSX work with an AMD cpu? I reeeeaaallly don't want build a whole new system just to be able to run OSX.

Would the virtual OSX work with an AMD cpu? I reeeeaaallly don't want build a whole new system just to be able to run OSX.

You should be able to, if you follow this

and when he suggests to use either iAtkos or Hazard, follow the instructions for Hazard and download one of the ones that says AMD in the title, might take a bit of tinkering but it should work. Also make sure that virtualization is on in your bios

Corsair 400R / Intel Core i7 2600K / MSI P67A-GD53 / 2 X MSI GeForce GTX 560Ti Twin Frozr II SLI / Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2x4GB) 1600Mhz

OCZ ZT 550W / Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo / Crucial M4 128GB (2x64GB RAID 0) / WD Caviar Green 1TB / Arctic Silver 5

Yes it will work. Hazard will work outside of VM-Ware as well. It even has its own efi loader so you can install it on your own partition.

Khalifa Komputer

-=Wiz Khalifa|TGOD=-

I have tried with an AMD system and it worked, but took a good few weeks of messing with kexts, coding a bit here and there. its alot simpler with intel.

I could never get a definite answer' date=' but I was planning on turning my laptop into a Hackintosh It has a GT540M, which uses Optimus for switching graphics from dedicated to onboard. In this case, will the graphics card work in OSX? [/quote']

You would have to get a kext for it ofc, worse come the worse you can just set graphics enabler = 0 and use on board.

Planning on buying a Powermac G5 case off a local guy on Craigslist, going to try and mod it to fit an ATX board (best place to get a motherboard try is still Mountain Mods, right?), make it look real slick, and then try and make it a Hackintosh as well

Right now I'm still on AMD but assuming Apple uses Haswell for their new computers whenever it comes out I will switch over so I can do it

As of now, does anyone know any good tutorials for getting OSX to run on AMD at all? I still have this Athlon II x4 640 that I'd like to squeeze some more usage out of

You want to go ahead and look around for a copy of Hazard Snow Leopard. This is a customized distro which can be installed on AMD machines. With this, all you need to do is burn the ISO file on a cd and that's it. You will not need iBoot because it already includes a boot loader for you. Good luck man!

Khalifa Komputer

-=Wiz Khalifa|TGOD=-