Cleaning GTX860M (FANS)

PampaZiya

How are they located in a laptop normally? What's the best way to clean fans?

My laptop is Asus ROG G551JM. I can't seem to find any video on how to disassemble.

EDIT: "THE FANS" not the actual GPU.. I submitted by mistake after just wrtiting the first word "how"

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm u wot

Thats a laptop GPU, there aint no cleaning a laptop GPU.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

How 

Why do you need to clean it? can you explain?

Most graphics cards in laptops are soldered to the motherboard and are not removable, you might be able to remove the cooler if its an MXM card, if not then you cannot do anything but clean out the fans

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm u wot

Thats a laptop GPU, there aint no cleaning a laptop GPU.

Why do you need to clean it? can you explain?

Most graphics cards in laptops are soldered to the motherboard and are not removable, you might be able to remove the cooler if its an MXM card, if not then you cannot do anything but clean out the fans

Check Edit

Check Edit

Open the laptop

clean fans

close laptop?

get a can of compressed air and spray it or perhaps a smal brush

If you cannot open the laptop, just spray some air into the vents to clear out the dust

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

your laptop has a single fan on the left side - you have to remove the back panel, take out the heatsink-fan and clean them both. Then repaste and screw back in. I would advise against this if the laptop is less than a year old

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

from the looks of the shape and screw locations...

i'd say thats simply a "remove screws and pop off the bottom" laptop.

you'd be voiding your warranty (obviously) but its actually rather easy:

- take out battery, and disconnect any cables.

- remove optical bay

- remove any cover panels, in your case the one panel that covers the HDD, wifi and ram slots.

- remove all visible screws, making mental or physical note of what goes where.

- search for any hidden screws (its very popular to put screws under labels or the rubber feet.)

- GENTLY pop off the bottom cover, most likely theres some tabs that keep it in place, but some soft pressure usually gets it off.

DONT force, if you need to force, that means theres something keeping it in place, usually a screw you missed, or a cable.

- inspect your laptop's cooling solution for obvious flaws (maybe the fan motor burned out, maybe the fan is straight up clogged)

- remove any accessible dust

- use a can of air to blow out the dust you cant reach

in some cases the dust is a bit too extreme to get out without disassembling the cooler. its usually very easy to do so, but its also VERY laptop-specific, and i wont go into detail. without knowing exactly how its built.

EDIT: unlike what @don_svetlio said, with some creativity its rarely required to sepereate the heatsink from the motherboard, and like what don said, i STRONGLY advice against doing so if you dont know what you're doing, since a lot of laptop components dont have heat spreaders, making wrong application, or even physical damage very possible.

- remove optical bay

- remove any cover panels, in your case the one panel that covers the HDD, wifi and ram slots.

- search for any hidden screws (its very popular to put screws under labels or the rubber feet.)

- GENTLY pop off the bottom cover, most likely theres some tabs that keep it in place, but some soft pressure usually gets it off.

DONT force, if you need to force, that means theres something keeping it in place, usually a screw you missed, or a cable.

- inspect your laptop's cooling solution for obvious flaws (maybe the fan motor burned out, maybe the fan is straight up clogged)

in some cases the dust is a bit too extreme to get out without disassembling the cooler. its usually very easy to do so, but its also VERY laptop-specific, and i wont go into detail. without knowing exactly how its built.

EDIT: unlike what @don_svetlio said, with some creativity its rarely required to sepereate the heatsink from the motherboard, and like what don said, i STRONGLY advice against doing so if you dont know what you're doing, since a lot of laptop components dont have heat spreaders, making wrong application, or even physical damage very possible.

I guess the newer laptops make it easy - last one I disassembled had a Athlon X2 in it :D - not taking apart my Y50 for AT LEAST a year.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I guess the newer laptops make it easy - last one I disassembled had a Athlon X2 in it :D - not taking apart my Y50 for AT LEAST a year.

i have a HP with a centrino duo, a slightly newer version of the same model, a samsung RC530, and some acer laptop on my experience list.

i've also completely torn apart a medion with a P4 a while back, and that one well... just had screws to open up the entire cooling compartiment for cleaning.

i have a HP with a centrino duo, a slightly newer version of the same model, a samsung RC530, and some acer laptop on my experience list.

i've also completely torn apart a medion with a P4 a while back, and that one well... just had screws to open up the entire cooling compartiment for cleaning.

Guess it was this one only. Oh well. I would still advise cleaning the heatsink though - that's a bigger issue than dusty fans usually

Check Edit

Take off the laptop's back panel and used compressed air.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Guess it was this one only. Oh well. I would still advise cleaning the heatsink though - that's a bigger issue than dusty fans usually

usually the heatsink and fans are really close together these days, so the "blow air two ways" treatment carey holzman loves to talk abou works really well to take out most of it.

the acer i took apart was worse tho. the previous owner ensured me she cleaned it out, and she was selling it because it "was broken"

i paid her the money, then took it apart in front of her to show the dust she missed.

i sliced open the tape holding fan and heatsink together (yes, tape. they're generally taped together) and literally a rectangular piece of fabric-ized dust came out, nearly tripling laptop performance. now its just the issue both of the laptop's hard drives barely make it up to 50MB/s reads...

Take off the laptop's back panel and used compressed air.

- remove optical bay

Open the laptop

clean fans

close laptop?

get a can of compressed air and spray it or perhaps a smal brush

If you cannot open the laptop, just spray some air into the vents to clear out the dust

Thing is I already disassembled many laptops before, but they are all very old. This asus one is very different and I couldn't figure out how to do it.

It's been with me a year (officially in 20 days). And it's heating up. My other laptops used to heat and cleaning the fans and heatsink usually made the performance tons better.

usually the heatsink and fans are really close together these days, so the "blow air two ways" treatment carey holzman loves to talk abou works really well to take out most of it.

the acer i took apart was worse tho. the previous owner ensured me she cleaned it out, and she was selling it because it "was broken"

i paid her the money, then took it apart in front of her to show the dust she missed.

i sliced open the tape holding fan and heatsink together (yes, tape. they're generally taped together) and literally a rectangular piece of fabric-ized dust came out, nearly tripling laptop performance. now its just the issue both of the laptop's hard drives barely make it up to 50MB/s reads...

my Sister's old Asus has the fan constantly at 100% even on idle - it's ALWAYS warm to the touch xD

Thing is I already disassembled many laptops before, but they are all very old. This asus one is very different and I couldn't figure out how to do it.

It's been with me a year (officially in 20 days). And it's heating up. My other laptops used to heat and cleaning the fans and heatsink usually made the performance tons better.

what temps are you getting? Unless CPU and GPU are above 90*C I wouldn't worry about it

Try and find a tutorial?

What specific model is it, maybe we could look up images and give some guidance.

my Sister's old Asus has the fan constantly at 100% even on idle - it's ALWAYS warm to the touch xD

if she isnt as much as a shellfish asshat as my sister, clean it out for her. she'll thank you with.. cookies mabe?

if she isnt as much as a shellfish asshat as my sister, clean it out for her. she'll thank you with.. cookies mabe?

The last time I cleaned it U-torrent installation somehow got corrupted and I was blamed. I am NOT doing anymore favors

The last time I cleaned it U-torrent installation somehow got corrupted and I was blamed. I am NOT doing anymore favors

yup. been there, done that. i fixed my sister's MP3 before, but she got hella pissed at me that the thing forgot her playlist...

most of my family is of the idea as long as it somewhat works, they're not interested in anything that'd make it work better.

"why change if its not broken, look, i can still access google" -loading bar-

My temps are varrying from 75 to 89 sometimes over 90 and cam't even plau black ops 3 on low....... On 1366x768....

My temps are varrying from 75 to 89 sometimes over 90 and cam't even plau black ops 3 on low....... On 1366x768....

that's more the single-fan cooling not being enough but cleaning and repasting could reduce them by 5-10*C - if there is no throttling though, that wouldn't do anything. If you can, ask the store to clean it so you don't lose the warranty. Knowing Asus's brilliant quality you want the warranty to last