two 970 SSC SLI or 980 ti

raladin3D

Hey guys,

I was looking at some FPS results and it seems like two 970 SSC SLI could end up having more FPS for 4k and even other resolutions than regular 1 980 ti and it is actually cheaper to get 2 970 than 1 980 ti.

The question is, what would I be missing out if I would to go that way OR EVEN 3 WAY SLI 970 over regular new 980 ti card? I know that the difference in FPS is not much but it is cheaper by more than 200$-400$. 

I am simply looking for the best price of (1200$ Max on GPUs) for the best experience and performance.

Also future wise, (within the end of 2016) I've heard some really big improvements for the SLI coming up, do you guys have info on that?

Thanks everyone :)

Extra Information:

* I will be buying the newest motherboard, CPU, Rams

* I will be trying my very first manual self water cooling of system, so Temperatures should hopefully not be high :)

* I don't mind noise :)

* I might be streaming the games from my bedroom to the living room with the new Steam Link on the big screen with 4K

-snip-

Always go with the strongest single card you can afford

why?

some games dont support SLI or scale very bad

you can SLI the higher end card later

why?

This

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

why?

Ah I see, I seem to have missed Linus' last advice on his SLI video, I feel silly now haha.

Any news on new SLI technology? I've heard that they are working to improve it and that with the upcoming new GPUs it will be a better option :o

why?

That's a contradiction though. You are saying always go with the highest power single card, but then say that a benefit of that choice is the ability to SLI, something you said to avoid. By the time "later" comes around, another more powerful single card will exist anyway.

Ah I see, I seem to have missed Linus' last advice on his SLI video, I feel silly now haha.

Any news on new SLI technology? I've heard that they are working to improve it and that with the upcoming new GPUs it will be a better option :o

the gtx 980ti is still very powerful gpu and i would get it.

why wait for pascal to sli that when its gonna be more expensive?

That's a contradiction though. You are saying always go with the highest power single card, but then say that a benefit of that choice is the ability to SLI, something you said to avoid. By the time "later" comes around, another more powerful single card will exist anyway.

If he buys 2 970's for ~650$

3 years goes pass

he needs a new card

buys new card (for ~400$) and throws the 970's out

If he buys 1 980ti for ~650$

3 years goes pass

he needs a new card

he buys an old 980ti for ~300 and keeps the old one

Performance is similar (if not pascal is super duper awesome) but money is saved

1 highend GPU over SLI anytime.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Oh sorry meant 1200 CAD haha

But wouldn't that put me back into the same loop discussed of getting 1 new GPU over two?

I see

no, 2 gtx 780 < 1 gtx 980 ti < 2 gtx 980ti

so yeah if you can only afford one though the single 980 is that was to go... although that being said Linus has a video which states that the price / performance differences between the gtx 980 and the gtx 980ti that its not worth it to buy a 980 because for alil bit more the 980 ti is much better... and if you cant afford a 980ti that (again price/performance) to a 970... but he was also talking about single card solutions... soo yeah

im about to go to work, so i dont have time to look for the video, maybe i will in the morning if i remember...

No Excuses, Play Like A Champion!!!  

no, 2 gtx 780 < 1 gtx 980 ti < 2 gtx 980ti

so yeah if you can only afford one though the single 980 is that was to go... although that being said Linus has a video which states that the price / performance differences between the gtx 980 and the gtx 980ti that its not worth it to buy a 980 because for alil bit more the 980 ti is much better... and if you cant afford a 980ti that (again price/performance) to a 970... but he was also talking about single card solutions... soo yeah

im about to go to work, so i dont have time to look for the video, maybe i will in the morning if i remember...

thanks :) it's ok no worries, I'll just go with Single card next year then :)