Premiere Not Using All of my CPU... why?

mao91

Curious why Premiere isn't utilizing all of my CPU to crunch through a video export. 

Reading from / writing to SSD RAID 0 array. Thought this might be a bottleneck, but resource monitor is showing my disk array barely being used.

See screenshot.

Intel Core i7-5820k (dunno why CoreTemp doesn't show that)

post-228061-0-08420000-1448501048.png

Thoughts on this?

If what I'm posting has already been posted, I'm sorry.

Is there a setting that prevents it from using all the cores?

It's using all 6 cores, just not all 12 threads.

Looks like Premiere isn't taking advantage of hyperthreading. Do you have a GPU that can support GPU rendering in Premiere?

I think so; GTX 970. May have to poke around with that.

It's using all 6 cores, just not all 12 threads.

I think so; GTX 970. May have to poke around with that.

Premiere supports CUDA out of the box, so you should be fine with that.

Chances are, Premiere is just being a bitch with the i7 for no reason.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

try a different codec

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Having similar issues, and we are not isolated incidents.  Whats interesting is that my playback of 4k in Adobe CC 2015 and CS6 is crap even with i75820k and 970SC, but I can watch with media player classic and its fine.  However when I pre-render through CC 2015 the video still drops frames everywhere, but when you use CS6 to pre-render it is smooth with zero dropped frames.  It seems like the Adobe techs are stumped too as they have offered nothing to remedy this. 

GPU acceleration is enabled, no idea why it's not using the hyperthreading. Also, just using the default codec. Not sure what other one I'd want to use.

GPU acceleration is enabled, no idea why it's not using the hyperthreading. Also, just using the default codec. Not sure what other one I'd want to use.

I think he means encode your video with a different codec via media encoder and try working with that video

I think he means encode your video with a different codec via media encoder and try working with that video

I know that's what he meant. I was asking what codec I'd want to try if I'm exporting to m2v.

I know that's what he meant. I was asking what codec I'd want to try if I'm exporting to m2v.

I know very little about m2v,

to utilize more CPU you can try telling AME to use software only that should tax your CPU more so than the GPU and you should see an increase.

Try cineform, h264, 

not sure what else you could utilize on a mac besides encoding back to a ProRes format