Windows 10 November update (th2). A service was renamed.

Yongtjunkit

That is to send a report. Windows has that since the longest time.

Telemetry data collecting is not crash report submission

opti-in during installation and not hidden behind a small advance install option

2NSY7fa.png

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Telemetry data collecting and all that is at the 'GUI stuff' level.

I'll be surprised if Apple doesn't collect them.

OS X collects telemetry too. With all the hate Windows 10 is getting for collecting telemetry, why is nobody talking about OS X for also collecting telemetry? Or Ubuntu too for that matter, every search you type into the Dash in Unity is sent to Canonical for marketing purposes by default.

opti-in during installation and not hidden behind a small advance install option

The option is there on Windows when you first install/run the OS.

where exactly?

https://youtu.be/77IJBj_MLgM?t=16m17s

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Heumm "custom:". If you do "Next" > "Next" > "Next" > "Next".. real fast and don't read what is on the screen, then this is not my problem

OS X collects telemetry too. With all the hate Windows 10 is getting for collecting telemetry, why is nobody talking about OS X for also collecting telemetry? Or Ubuntu too for that matter, every search you type into the Dash in Unity is sent to Canonical for marketing purposes by default.

Everyone raised hell about Canonical sending search queries to Amazon. They have since added an option to disable it, and they will remove it in Unity 8. And since it is libre (open source), you can see that the option does indeed work, unlike Windows 10, where turning the privacy settings to off doesn't stop data from being sent to Microsoft.

Telemetry data collecting and all that is at the 'GUI stuff' level.

I'll be surprised if Apple doesn't collect them. Windows XP and up collected them, many large web sites you visit do as well. They know where you click, where you hove the mouse, how long you stay on a specific page, on and all that.

What people don't understand is that telemetry data collecting is a way to make a survey to better improve a product or service. And this is nothing new. When you go shop at a big store, they use the security cameras to beside monitoring for security purposes, also for telemetry data collecting. It analyses people to know which section of the store you have been standing around (to know which product you are interested), and see what other product you get to, and build relationship. That is why in many stores, they move stock around every now and then. Same at restaurants. They are hidden cameras, that monitor select tables as sample to know what the table order, how much you stay, measure the service quality, measure how much you eat the food, etc. Even fast food restaurants, sometimes they send people discussed as customers, who monitors how people stay in line, how much time they decide what to order, etc, and makes report.

...Kind of. That is what telemetry is supposed to be, but now in addition to sending telemetry about the system, it sends telemetry about the user (by default, anyway), and that is unacceptable.

It would be great if Microsoft let us see the data it was sending before encrypting it.

Heumm "custom:". If you do "Next" &amp;gt; "Next" &amp;gt; "Next" &amp;gt; "Next".. real fast and don't read what is on the screen, then this is not my problem

Why is it on by default in the first place? Why should users have to opt out of data collection? That should be opt in. And again, turning it off in Windows 10 doesn't truly disable it: http://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2015/08/even-when-told-not-to-windows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/

Everyone raised hell about Canonical sending search queries to Amazon. They have since added an option to disable it, and they will remove it in Unity 8. And since it is libre (open source), you can see that the option does indeed work, unlike Windows 10, where turning the privacy settings to off doesn't stop data from being sent to Microsoft.

Oh, right. I forgot about that. Excuse my forgetfulness, I'm terrible with remembering some things.

I am amazed. How can you sleep at night knowing fully well that you are straight up lying to defend Microsoft?

No it does not give you the option when you first install/run the OS, and no it is not possible to turn it off without doing stuff like regedit (or services or whatever) and whatnot. It is not possible to turn it off from the settings app. At most you can set it to "basic" (whatever that means).

I am amazed. How can you sleep at night knowing fully well that you are straight up lying to defend Microsoft?

No it does not give you the option when you first install/run the OS, and no it is not possible to turn it off without doing stuff like regedit (or services or whatever) and whatnot. It is not possible to turn it off from the settings app. At most you can set it to "basic" (whatever that means).

I sleep fine at night, because what I say it is true.

I am not the one that goes "OMG,.. it doesn't say that Microsoft will not steal all my money, and send people to beat me... THEY MUST BE DOING IT!"

Yes. "Send device data" is the option you are referring. Yes you cannot turn that off, like you didn't have the option in previous version of Windows. If you recall Windows 8 blog posts during its development, Microsoft nicely had graphs or data on showing how many people use Media Center, DVD's, how many monitors they had, what resolutions they are... Where do you think that comes from?

I sleep fine at night, because what I say it is true.

I am not the one that goes "OMG,.. it doesn't say that Microsoft will not steal all my money, and send people to beat me... THEY MUST BE DOING IT!"

Yes. "Send device data" is the option you are referring. Yes you cannot turn that off, like you didn't have the option in previous version of Windows. If you recall Windows 8 blog posts during its development, Microsoft nicely had graphs or data on showing how many people use Media Center, DVD's, how many monitors they had, what resolutions they are... Where do you think that comes from?

That response has nothing to do with my post.

You: "You can turn it off!"

Me: "No you can't. Stop lying."

You: "I am not paranoid like you! Look at Windows 7 bla bla bla stop hating on Windows 10".

What you are saying is not true. Just look at your post. First you say you can turn it off and then in this post you say you can't.

-snip-

Honestly, at this point, it's useless to try and convince the privacy freaks. Humans like conflict, so they are using Windows 10 as a scapegoat to get worked up about. They ignore facts and flock to speculation. It's like trying to convince a crazy conspiracy theorist that Bush didn't do 9/11.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

What you are saying is not true. Just look at your post. First you say you can turn it off and then in this post you say you can't.

There is more than 1 option

To all users who had updated to the November update, please take note that Microsoft had make privacy issue worse.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Quote from the source :

It turns out Microsoft had just been very sneaky. What Tweakhound discovered and was subsequently confirmed by BetaNews, is Microsoft simply renamed DiagTrack. It is now called the ‘Connected User Experiences and Telemetry Service’ – which is both a) deliberately vague, and B) misleading (don’t ‘Connected User Experiences’ sound great).

Even sneakier is, in being renamed, Microsoft also reset users preferences. Those who dug deep into the Windows 10 registry to disable DiagTrack will find it has been re-enabled now it is called the Connected User Experiences and Telemetry Service. Yes, tracking is back and without any warning and your preferences were irrelevant.

In my opinion this is bad news for all window 10 build 1511 users and I think that Microsoft should actually stop that.

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/11/24/windows-10-automatic-spying-begins-again/

This is my first post in tech news. Thanks to a user who helped me renaming the post

Actually the new name is probably better then the old one. Diagtrack means fuckall for non techies and since it's a service, it can be disabled. I disabled Windows Update so I wouldnt get nagged.

There is more than 1 option

Okay, so where do I turn it off? You claimed that you could do it in this post:

I can't find it.

Honestly, at this point, it's useless to try and convince the privacy freaks. Humans like conflict, so they are using Windows 10 as a scapegoat to get worked up about. They ignore facts and flock to speculation. It's like trying to convince a crazy conspiracy theorist that Bush didn't do 9/11.

Please point out where in my post I am being a "privacy freak" or using Windows 10 as a scapegoat. Where do I ignore facts and make wild speculations? I am just calling GoodBytes a liar for making claims he know is wrong, and I am asking for evidence to support his claims (which I won't get because they are based on lies).

I am not the one ignoring facts. He is.

I can't find it.

Think very fine print. The way its deliberately made less noticeable (unlike Apple who has it pretty much hit you in the face in OSX) is shady on its own.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

It is now called the ‘Connected User Experiences and Telemetry Service’ – which is both a) deliberately vague, and B) misleading (don’t ‘Connected User Experiences’ sound great).

Well, I can see why it's controversial, but "Connected User Experiences" isn't objectively false nor is it a departure from how Microsoft has always marketed this to us. For better or worse, data sharing allows them to (among other things) provide functionality that they couldn't otherwise, such as storing your Windows settings with your user account and syncing your data between different applications. I'm not necessarily saying I am/am not in favor of it, but that is one thing that it does.

Also, with all this salt and conspiracy-theorizing about the update re-enabling the service, is anyone going to bother mentioning if you can just go disable it again? It's actually not a huge deal to disable a Windows service…

I can't find it.

Please point out where in my post I am being a "privacy freak" or using Windows 10 as a scapegoat. Where do I ignore facts and make wild speculations? I am just calling GoodBytes a liar for making claims he know is wrong, and I am asking for evidence to support his claims (which I won't get because they are based on lies).

I am not the one ignoring facts. He is.

After Windows 10 is installed:

Settings -> Privacy You have many option related to your Privacy which you can turn on or off, or change.

At Windows 8/10 install screen:

Click on "Customize settings", and you'll have some of the options.

Settings -> Privacy You have many option related to your Privacy which you can turn on or off, or change.

I think his point is that you can't entirely disable it in Settings.

47oOhid.png

You can reduce the amount of data being sent to a very minuscule amount, but you can't entirely disable it on non-Enterprise versions of Windows.

Yes, and as mentioned, it is similar to Windows 8, and Windows 7, the difference is that now you have an option to give out more, which is selected by default.

After Windows 10 is installed:

At Windows 8/10 install screen:

Click on "Customize settings", and you'll have some of the options.

Okay, now tell me where I turn off the telemetry data. Because remember, that's what the person you were responding to was talking about.

In case you don't remember the conversation, here it is:

2NSY7fa.png

wpid-150803_BIT_Windows10-03.png.CROP_.o

Last option.

That's only error and diagnostic information though....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

wpid-150803_BIT_Windows10-03.png.CROP_.o

Last option.

That is not the same information as the OS X prompt asks you about.

The OS X prompt asks you about "diagnostics and usage data". That option is for "error and diagnostic information".

If you go into settings -> privacy -> feedback & diagnostics in Windows 10 you will see that it is impossible to turn the usage data off. At best you can set it to "basic" (which includes things such as what programs you got installed on your computer). Those things can be turned off in OS X.

Stop lying.

That is not the same information as the OS X prompt asks you about.

The OS X prompt asks you about "diagnostics and usage data". That option is for "error and diagnostic information".

If you go into settings -> privacy -> feedback & diagnostics in Windows 10 you will see that it is impossible to turn the usage data off. At best you can set it to "basic" (which includes things such as what programs you got installed on your computer). Those things can be turned off in OS X.

Stop lying.

Ok NOW you are doing on purpose.

Errors AND diagnostics.

It is the 2 checkboxes from Apple in one.

If you don't understanding the meaning of the word "and", then that is not my problem. But I think you do, and you playing dumb, because you can't stand being wrong.