Tips, advices and criticism during the planning phase of my new desktop build wanted

Hey there,

I am currently planning to build a desktop PC from scratch, as all I have today is a 5-year-old Laptop to play on. This is also my first build, so any tips regarding what i have to be very careful of are also very welcome.

I am just going to list what parts I was thinking of using first:

CPU: Intel i7 6700k (Which one?)

GPU: Nvidia 980Ti (I don't know which version though)

RAM: 16 GB (heard Kingston Hyper X was a good one)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VIII Hero OR MSI Z170 Gaming M7 (Should be able to do SLI too, for the coming years)

SSD: still deciding whether to take 256 or 500 GB

HDD: 2TB (is Barracuda a good manufactuere for those?)

CPU Cooler: I don't know yet, thinking of taking a liquid cooler, any suggestions (Corsair maybe)?

Fans: No Idea

Power Supply: No Idea either, are 750 Watts enough (also counting the 2nd GTX980Ti thats probably going in there someday)?

Disk Reader: One that's able to read Blu-Ray too (Any huge differences between the different ones?)

Sound Card: Do I need one or are the ones integrated in either the MoBo or my Logitech G930 Headset good enough?

Monitor: Should be 1440p and around 25-27", 60hz should be enough (how about the "QNIX QX2710 LED Evolution II Multi"?)

A Wi-fi Card would be great too, are there big differences with those? If yes, any suggestions?

Also, of course, looking for a Tower Case that's working well and looks good too.

So, what do you think? Good choices? Bad choices? Do these parts even work together (I think they do, but I'm not that much of a hardware genius, especially when it comes to Motherboards)? I am completely open for suggestions, and I'm greatful for every piece of advice :D

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

P.S.: My Budget pretty fine with around 2500-2700$ (but of course I don't want to waste any of it, I worked hard for it)

Get a fury x instead of a 980ti

Liquid cooler Kraken X61

Power supply g2 or p2 from evga or anything xfx or seasonic.

Mobo MSI Gaming M7 but im bias

Get a WD Black drive instead of a barracuda

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

Is this $amount in USD? because I have a few recommendations and I'd be happy to make a list for you.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k (Which one?)

What do you mean "which one?"

There is only one.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Each 980ti can take up to 400w when overclocked. I'd go for a 1000w PSU if you plan on doing an sli in the future.

CPU - Intel i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 (Rev 2.0) | RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB (2x8) DDR3-1866 | Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD | Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 980ti SC | Case - Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) | PSU - EVGA 750W B2 | Display - Acer K272HUL | Keyboard - E-Element RGB | Mouse - Logitech g502 | Sound - Klipsch ProMedia 2.1/Fostex TH-x00/Sennheiser HD595

Liquid cooler Kraken X61

Lets not pick sides, that is up to the buyer!

I think that you should cut your budget in half if all you are going to be doing is gamming. Save up that extra money for another current gen gamming building once your current one no longer is effective.

If you are planning on more than one display, go with AMD because a single AMD card can run 3+ displays, while a single NVidia card can only run a most of two (This is not due to how powerful a card is).

Plus, a fury X isn't as good as the R9 Nano.

Oh, and You should go Skylake for the CPU

Computers r fun

I agree with TheNuzziNuzz. You shouldn't spend this much on it. But I still did a build that I think looks great! I didn't really check all the stuff just went with an awesome balck/white build!! Hope you like it

Intel core I5 4460, Gigabyte H97M-HD3, Gigabyte gtx 760, 8 GB corsair value ram, Thermaltake core v21, Thermaltake Smart 630W PSU

Alcatel OneTouch D5... IT WORKS!!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BxMjTW  

First of all, thank you for answering so quickly!

Liquid cooler Kraken X61

I personally don't really like AMD that much, even though that may be based on biases only...

What's the difference between the Corsair H100i and the Kraken X61?

Is the EVGA G2 enough? Based on Pankaic's comment and the Power Meter from the EVGA website, it seems i should take a 1000W one (like the p2)

Is this $amount in USD? because I have a few recommendations and I'd be happy to make a list for you.

Yeah it is, but originally it was about 2.350-2.500€ since i'm from Europe.

What do you mean "which one?"

There is only one.

My bad, got that mixed up with the other 6700s that have no K

Lets not pick sides, that is up to the buyer!

I think that you should cut your budget in half if all you are going to be doing is gamming. Save up that extra money for another current gen gamming building once your current one no longer is effective.

If you are planning on more than one display, go with AMD because a single AMD card can run 3+ displays, while a single NVidia card can only run a most of two (This is not due to how powerful a card is).

Plus, a fury X isn't as good as the R9 Nano.

Oh, and You should go Skylake for the CPU

You got any good builds for about 1.250USD? I wanted to refrain from getting a whole new build but rather wanted to upgrade when needed.

I didn't plan on going more than 1 or 2 Displays max.

Isn't the i7-6700K a Skylake CPU?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DH9sTW

This is what I would personally get, It has OS included as I was not sure if you had a key or not.

I agree with TheNuzziNuzz. You shouldn't spend this much on it. But I still did a build that I think looks great! I didn't really check all the stuff just went with an awesome balck/white build!! Hope you like it

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6kd3P6

Regarding both of your builds, which are identical for many parts:

What are the Pros of your MoBos?

How big of a difference are the 7200RPM compared to the 5400RPM from the HDDs?

Finally, is the Hybrid Version of the GTX980Ti worth it? Does it work together with the liquid cooler for the CPU or do they have problems regarding space in the case?

Again, thank you all for taking the time to help me!

First of all, thank you for answering so quickly!

I personally don't really like AMD that much, even though that may be based on biases only...

What's the difference between the Corsair H100i and the Kraken X61?

Is the EVGA G2 enough? Based on Pankaic's comment and the Power Meter from the EVGA website, it seems i should take a 1000W one (like the p2)

Yeah it is, but originally it was about 2.350-2.500€ since i'm from Europe.

My bad, got that mixed up with the other 6700s that have no K

You got any good builds for about 1.250USD? I wanted to refrain from getting a whole new build but rather wanted to upgrade when needed.

I didn't plan on going more than 1 or 2 Displays max.

Isn't the i7-6700K a Skylake CPU?

Regarding both of your builds, which are identical for many parts:

What are the Pros of your MoBos?

How big of a difference are the 7200RPM compared to the 5400RPM from the HDDs?

Finally, is the Hybrid Version of the GTX980Ti worth it? Does it work together with the liquid cooler for the CPU or do they have problems regarding space in the case?

Again, thank you all for taking the time to help me!

The main difference to my build is that it is based around a black and white theme. I changed the parts which were not matching the colors. I accidentally added the 5400 rpm drive I wanted to add a 7200 rpm one. Just get the same one as in the other build.

The hybrid gpu uses a separate water cooling loop. So you have 2 loops in your system. I don't personally like it but if you like the look of it go for it. It will fit in either the r5 or the enthoo pro. The case is really up to you to decide.

Intel core I5 4460, Gigabyte H97M-HD3, Gigabyte gtx 760, 8 GB corsair value ram, Thermaltake core v21, Thermaltake Smart 630W PSU

Alcatel OneTouch D5... IT WORKS!!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BxMjTW  

I am in the procces of upgrading my computer from its OEM 700 USD Originality and getting it to a complete custom build. The most expensive part of your build should be your GPU, use that as a way to scale your pricing. I would not SLI/Cross-fire. Considering you really don't have much a budget, the best GPU that i have seen is the 980 Ti. Honastly, if you will just be gamming at 1080P, you may not evean need somthing that good.

Computers r fun

I am in the procces of upgrading my computer from its OEM 700 USD Originality and getting it to a complete custom build. The most expensive part of your build should be your GPU, use that as a way to scale your pricing. I would not SLI/Cross-fire. Considering you really don't have much a budget, the best GPU that i have seen is the 980 Ti. Honastly, if you will just be gamming at 1080P, you may not evean need somthing that good.

I do plan on gaming with an 1440p monitor, and the SLI is a possibility in 4-5 years min. if the games need more in that coming time.

Also, do you mean the GPU should alone cost more than the complete rest of the build or it should only be the most expensive part compared to every other part, taking everything separate (GPU > (CPU + RAM + PSU + ...) or (GPU > CPU) + (GPU > RAM) + (GPU > PSU) + ...)?

I do plan on gaming with an 1440p monitor, and the SLI is a possibility in 4-5 years min. if the games need more in that coming time.

Also, do you mean the GPU should alone cost more than the complete rest of the build or it should only be the most expensive part compared to every other part, taking everything separate (GPU > (CPU + RAM + PSU + ...) or (GPU > CPU) + (GPU > RAM) + (GPU > PSU) + ...)?

Should be the most expensive in the build. Only if you were going for complete BALLZ to the WALLZ GPU performance then i would say you gpu should be more..but evean then.

For better clarification on what I mean, generally, if you are building a gamming PC JUST for gamming and nothing harder, then your GPU should be the most expensive part. If you need evean more power (Like if you were going to be rendering video) then the CPU matters more.

Computers r fun